tips for 1st prime rib - timing??

Jamie Mathews

TVWBB Member
My parents 50th wedding anniversary is this weekend, I'm cooking for 13 adults. I have done many whole tenderloin roasts (indirect on my kettleT, but my folks love prime rib, so I'm leaning in that direction.

I've never done a prime rib before. I'm wondering about timing. My butcher only has boneless rib roasts, I'm thinking about getting a 12 pounder. I figure I'll cook it indirect on my kettle, at temps around 300-350, using lump with a little oak chunkage for smoke.

About how long should this take? I read about 20 minutes a pound, but that was for a bone-in roast, not sure if boneless is different?

Any suggestions/recipes would be appreciated, especially regarding timing.

Also, when I do tenderloins, I usually sear over direct high heat for a few minutes to get that sear. Should I do the same with prime rib roast?

Don't overcook it! There are a lot of posts on this and other sites about rib roasts. Internal temperature for a rib roast is arguable, but many people like it rare, so taking it off at about 110 internal temperature, and letting it stand for a while to keep cooking, might be sufficient. Some people like to go up to 125. A good thermometer is key.

Searing is a matter of taste. I like the char, so I usually do it.

Good luck.

Did one on my uncle's gasser with a rotisserie last week. Wasn't nearly as big as that (probably 6-8#). had it on low/medium heat for about 90mins and it was perfect. Pulled it off with the middle sitting at 120*.

Jamie, here's an approach if you have the time and money to spare:

Buy 3 nearly-identical 6-pound roasts. Cook 1 of them a day or 2 ahead of time and take really detailed notes about the entire process so that you can figure out what worked and what didn't. Then apply that knowledge to the other 2 roasts on the day of the cook (6-pounders will give you more flexibility if you have a crowd that has a wide range of tastes).

There's lots of good information here but if you're concerned about things going well there's no substitute for experience. Good luck!

Brad

Boneless cooks waaaay faster than bone-in. I did a 8-ish pounder just a 3 weeks ago and it was just about almost over medium-rare after 1 hour and 15 minutes. I had it on the rotis and just went to do a normal temp check and found it to be already at 119.

If it's not on a rotisserie... why not just stick a probe in it and watch the temps to get a feel. The size isn't going to matter much ... a bigger roast is really just longer. Sure... it will make some difference, but not a huge amount of time. I'd guesstimate at 1hr 30 minutes as your rough timeframe.

You could reverse sear it to you know... you could cook it low and slow to about 110-115 then rest it covered up to 2 hours if need be. Then , as your guests arrive and your sides are finishing... get the coals super hot and just sear it up for about 5-10 minutes max to get a nice crust and bring to final temp. You won't need to rest it after searing since it's only on the coals a short time.

Either way... just get yourself a probe if you don't have one. It's a really really inexpensive way to have a bit of insurance.

As others have stated it will cook much quicker, but I don't know ... I've only done it with the bone.

Personally, I would use this rub, Indirect this till 105, Sear the whole roast, and then let it rest. I would take any of the dripping, add some really good beef broth, a little of the rub in to a pan, bring that to a boil (basically an Au Jus). Once it comes to a boil, pour out (into another container – don’t toss!) the liquid till only about an inch deep in the pan, keep a low heat on that pan, Soak each cut of meat till desired temperature for the guest.

Personally, I like to smoke roast with Hickory too, but that’s your preference.

Good Luck

Back