Tiny Grassfed Brisket Cook

Brett Grant

TVWBB Fan
So it turns out that the local university has a Meat Science Lab. On Fridays, and only on Fridays, the general public can go down and buy whatever they have butchered recently. Having never been down there, last week I went and checked it out. They offer both corn- and grass- fed beef, pork, and lamb. They also make sausage and bacon. So, I get a brisket, a flank steak, something called a cowboy steak, beef ribs, some pork bacon and some beef bacon. Total for everything was $80. The cuts were all a little strange to me. It was clear that they mostly sold rib eyes and t bones. Anyway, I digress. The guy puts the brisket up there and the first thing that I notice is how small it is. And there is no fat on it at all. And it is nearly uniform in thickness. I asked for a packer, and he told me that it was the flat and the point. Total weight: 5.7 lbs. Well, I just got paid, so I thought I would try it anyway.

As a side note, the cowboy steak (which looked like a chuck steak to me) and the flank steak were both excellent. I just grilled those up on the gas grill and everyone loved them.

So after doing a little research, I decided to do a High Heat Brisket with a simple Salt & Pepper rub. I've done large, all night briskets before. The only time that I did a HH one, it didn't turn out well.

Here is the brisket, out of the package. I didn't trim it at all, so on the plus side, I lost nothing.

IMG_2220.JPG

The tiny bit of fat on the left is the point. In the package, I didn't really believe that there was a point, but the seam was there, so I went with it.
I put it on the WSM at 12:15. I don't have a fancy monitor, I just check the dome temperature. Two hours in, it was at 170*, so I put it in a foil pan, covered it, and left it for another 1 1/2 hours. I go out to check it. It was over 200*, but there wasn't super soft tender, so I left it in for another 1/2 hour. Then I thought it was pretty tender, so I took it out and let it sit for about 45 minutes. That was just the convenient time to wait for dinner.

I separated the point and sliced her up.

IMG_2221.JPG

Everyone thought it was pretty good. I thought that it was slightly overcooked. Also, I did a 50-50 salt/pepper mix. Next time I will tone down the pepper a little bit. Probably more like 70-30. Still it was pretty tasty. I thought the flat was just a smidge dry, but my wife really like it, so that wins. She liked it enough that she took it for lunch today.

It was a little hard to hold the smoker at 350*. Toward the end it was more like 300, but I just let that go. I didn't really want to add more charcoal. Total cook time was 4 hours. It took me 5 minutes to prep (nice that there was no trimming) and about 20 minutes to get the smoker going. I was a little leery of the HH method, mostly because the first one that I did turned out so poorly, but this one worked out really well.

I used KBB and hickory and cherry wood.

Looks great, and what a cool way to get some different meat. It may have been a little small, but looks like a great piece of meat.

There is a meat center here at Texas A¥M where I work also, same thing .... Good meats grass fed. The only bad thing about your brisket is that it's over there and I'm way over here. Hehe good cook chief.

Don't lift the lid....

Looks excellent. Doesn't look like you had any crumbling when you sliced it so it may have been a little underdone. Taking temps on foiled meat doesn't work so well for telling when it's close to done. My HH brisket goes on for 2 hours, gets wrapped for 11/2-2 hrs depending on the size, then I probe for tender. Only temp I take is the cooker.

Looks awesome to me! I have never done a brisket...So i cant really give you any hints. But i would never turn that one down. Well done Brett

Looks excellent. Doesn't look like you had any crumbling when you sliced it so it may have been a little underdone. Taking temps on foiled meat doesn't work so well for telling when it's close to done. My HH brisket goes on for 2 hours, gets wrapped for 11/2-2 hrs depending on the size, then I probe for tender. Only temp I take is the cooker.
Oh, I didn't measure the temps once I put it in foil. I just used the thermometer as a probe. The actual temp when I took it off was around 220*, but I just ignored that. The edges did crumble off when I sliced it, but the knife was pretty sharp. It was very tasty.

Back