Timing for oddly cut brisket

Mark R (LR)

TVWBB Super Fan
I was looking for a brisket to smoke for the Super Bowl, and stumbled across an oddly cut "packer" that I couldn't resist. It looks like they cut off pretty much all of the flat that doesn't overlap with the point. In estimating time, my best guess is that I should probably add a few lbs to the 8.6 lb weight before I do any hour per pound multiplier to get a rough estimate on timing (basically adding a few pounds to pretend that the thinner, flat portion is there). I have pretty good notes from my last few brisket cooks, but it's been about 3 years since I've done a brisket (son in college ... more chicken, ribs, and pork butts). If I cook at around 225, any ideas or suggestions on about how long this thing should take? Also, am I wrong in thinking that this cut should be a bit more forgiving since I don't have the thinner, tapering flat to overcook while I'm trying to get this thicker portion tender?

brisket.jpg

I bet that's going to be awesome. I'm gonna guess that will take more time. I agree it will probably be more forgiving. I'm going to guess around 12 hrs.

My thought would be that the thickness more so than the weight will determine how long it will take. My typical brisket that is thinner than yours shown takes 8-9 hours at 275-300 and that is wrapped in butcher paper for the last 2-3 hours. I would plan on 12 hours at 275ish if you want to avoid an overnight cook. At 225 It could take 16-18 hours would be a guess but I don't cook that low so I wouldn't rely on my judgement on that low of a cooking temp. Good luck.

Thanks for the time estimates! I'll probably do an overnight cook and use a CyberQ so I can set it and forget it until morning.

Back