Time to clean...

MartinB

TVWBB All-Star
First time, I cannot remove my lid from my 18 WSM at all.
I've got handles and good leverage to pull..... And after cooking ribs today that lid is stuck tight. It's not even cold outside here.

Guess I got to heat it back up to get the lid off..... Then clean it some. Although I hate to lose that good grease seal. I could pry it up I guess but hate to damage the porcelain.

Mine has probably never been stuck as tight as yours but there have been times when pulling would not do the trick but if I knocked it with the edge of my fist (a horizontal motion) it came loose. Bob's suggestion makes sense, too.

Got it loose today. But it was tight.
I have runs and drips points (bumps) of grease inside lid about 1/8"+ thk now. Smells good though!

Interesting that rough gritty greasy, creosote/ash builds on shell.....but lid is firm, hard, smooth shiny, amost dry grease layer . Due for a little cleaning in any case.

Last edited:
Mine has probably never been stuck as tight as yours but there have been times when pulling would not do the trick but if I knocked it with the edge of my fist (a horizontal motion) it came loose. Bob's suggestion makes sense, too.

I do the same ( give it a whack).
If you don't do the water, the inside of your lid gets a nice patina, like a well seasoned CI pan.
I've read spraying the lip with a vinegar solution and a wipe helps, but never had the need to try it.

Tim

I do the same ( give it a whack).
If you don't do the water, the inside of your lid gets a nice patina, like a well seasoned CI pan.

Patina:)

XPv3U5R2_o.jpg

When I clean my grate after a smoke, every now and then I will let the lid sit in the soapy water to clean it up some. Not a great deal but, when it gets really tight, I give it about a half hour soak and wipe it down.

Also; don't some folks sandwich something like a wooden skewer between their lid and midsection where they are prone to this issue?

I've often wondered if a pressurized steam cleaning would be beneficial on the mating parts every few months.

I've often wondered if a pressurized steam cleaning would be beneficial on the mating parts every few months.

Sounds like more work than I feel like most times. A simple 1” water bath while the grates soak for about an hour. Then, rinse with a wet towel allow to dry, put it all away and be ready for the next cook.

Sounds like more work than I feel like most times. A simple 1” water bath while the grates soak for about an hour. Then, rinse with a wet towel allow to dry, put it all away and be ready for the next cook.

I was referring to the drum / lid edges.

The grates do clean up rather well after a good soaking as you said.

Once a year l get the pressure washer out when l'm cleaning the house so l take time to pressure wash the WSM, kettle and Genesis. It works for me. I am doing the mods on the WSM to seal it up so l may have to be a little more careful.

Back