Time For A New Pup

Bob H.

TVWBB Hall of Fame
In the past, I have had a Brittany Spaniel, a Golden Retriever, and a Labrador Retriever.
All were from shelters. There are currently a mama fox and a baby fox living under the
yard barn in the back yard. I don't want to see the foxes harmed, nor, whatever is the next shelter dog.
Any ideas on what I should be looking for?

In the past, I have had a Brittany Spaniel, a Golden Retriever, and a Labrador Retriever.
All were from shelters. There are currently a mama fox and a baby fox living under the
yard barn in the back yard. I don't want to see the foxes harmed, nor, whatever is the next shelter dog.
Any ideas on what I should be looking for?
Beagles have been in the news over the past few days...

Beagles get the nod in our house as they are a small dog with a big dog demeanour. They are very tolerant and loving, hence the reason they are used in research. 🙁
But be warned. Ninety nine percent of their brain is connected to their nose so it is almost impossible to let them off leash or they are off following the scent of something, like those foxes. But we love them!

93E9A195-2824-4111-85A8-2DE1833FDE82.jpeg

Don't get a terrier they are pains in the ***!
They are awesome, but only if you have lots of space ;)
But they will go after the fox, at least my jack russel's would

Beagle, collie, golden retriever, labrador come to mind, or a undetermined mixed breed :)

Beagles get the nod in our house as they are a small dog with a big dog demeanour. They are very tolerant and loving, hence the reason they are used in research. 🙁
But be warned. Ninety nine percent of their brain is connected to their nose so it is almost impossible to let them off leash or they are off following the scent of something, like those foxes. But we love them!

View attachment 56335
Love this pic. :)

Barb and I have rescued or fostered more pups than I can remember. Our adopted pups were five goldens a cocker spaniel, three labs. Currently we have a golden/husky/coyote mix and a black lab that was gifted to us.
Seeing you've had a golden I think they are the easiest to train and their disposition is on the gentle side, none of our adopted goldens were aggressive in any manner. We love our Lab but she can be stubborn when it comes to training if she has other plans at the time.
I agree with what Brenda said about beagles their nose is their master and once they get a scent to follow, they go deaf. But they are sweet pups.

Thanks to all for your ideas and suggestions so far. I'll let you know what we end up with.
My grandkids are a large part of my concern.

For most of my life I had male dogs. The last three have been females and they have been a joy to train and own.
Males are always looking to lift there legs on something especially if you have more than one and then you have that male dominance alpha male thing going on....

We had our golden retriever for 12 years and never worried she would bite or attack anyone. Not even a stranger coming in the door. I don’t need a dog to protect my family. Ineed a dog who will protect my family from being sued:cool:

Our new pup was born on 4/1 April fools day.
He has been house trained for 2 weeks now so it took him 3-1/2 months.
I’m glad we got him in the spring rather than the winter season, I think that makes them potty train easier.

I would pick a dog that does a job you need done or at least be able to train them to.
We live rural and have a 200 yard long driveway in a forest.
Our little chihuahua is our guard dog, nothing comes halfway down the driveway without that little teacup alarming us.
Our puppy cattle dog plays a mean game of fetch and will hopefully protect the chihuahua and barn cat we have.

BTW,
Mike that boxer looks awsome.

When we got our black lab Abby, Whitney immediately took control as her mother. Whitney had a litter of pups when she was running free on the Navajo Indian reservation in New Mexico. They captured her but she wouldn't take them to where her pups were.
In one day, she taught that ten week old pup how to scratch at the door to go out and in, showed her were to go potties. We never so much as had one accident in the house. Where the pup went Whitney went it was amazing to see that mother instinct come out when the pup arrived.

Picture of the Abby the pup and Whitney, the two with the bandanas are two foster labs we had at the time. Both of them found forever homes.

100_2430 (1).JPG

Last edited:

Back