Time estimation

Dave_H

TVWBB Member
I am cooking two butts both about 9 lbs. on my 22.5.. any ballpark time figure that I can use for a base to plan around?

when and why do you foil a butt or brisket?

Kevin- some folks will foil their butt or brisket after the bark has set & the internal temp of the meat hits the 165 degree ballpark to help combat "the stall" which is a point in the cook where the internal cooking temp of the meat will not budge due to evaporation from the meat cooling the butt or brisket. Foiling can help mitigate this stalling effect or you can just keep chugging along with your cooker & power thru the stall. For example, I'm cooking a pork butt right now for some pulled pork this evening & my internal temp has been stalled @ 160 degrees for some time now. I don't plan on foiling since I should have plenty of time for it to finish before serving. However, if timing were a concern I wouldn't hesitate to wrap it in foil to help speed past the stall. Hope that helps ... Merry Christmas!

when and why do you foil a butt or brisket?

After 8 hours or so, that hunk of meat has taken on all the smoke it's gunna take on. It's rare, but I have foiled when the internal has reached ~165 and added apple cider to the foil. After the few hours rest, the apple cider pretty much gets absorbed and what doesn't gets mixed into the pull. Very good stuff.

Back