Throwdown #15: Pork Spareribs

Sunday is our annual Fantasy Football Draft (which I am defending champ) and I already have commited myself to bringing Spare Ribs to the event so I guess I will be one of the first entries. I am ok with that

Ok Here is my throwdown Entry of Spare Ribs

Pork Spare Ribs with cheesy Russet Potaoes and bacon wrapped stuffed jalapeno poppers.

I started last night prepping for this last night by rubbing 3 slabs of pork spare ribs with McCormicks Smokey and sweet rub. I rubbed both sides after using a light coat of olive oil to make sure the rub stayed on the ribs. Placed the ribs in the fridge and left overnight.

Pulled them at 7am this morning and placed them on the 22.5 WSM and smoked them at 275 degrees for 3 hours using cherry and apple wood. Gives them a nice sweet woodsy taste. Spritz the ribs with apple and pineapple juice every half hour.

After 3 hours of smoke, pulled them off to wrap them. I used some squeeze butter, dark brown sugar and juice mixture. There are a couple more ingredients but leave something secret. After wrapping the ribs, put them back on the WSM for another 1.5 hours. While that was going on, got the 26.75 OTG going at 400 degrees. Got the russets and sliced them partially and placed them on the grill for an hour.

Now that the ribs and russets were going, it was time to make the bacon wrapped stuffed jalapeno poppers. Cleaned out the jalapenos, stuffed them filled with cream cheese sprinkled on Weber's Kick'n'Chicken seasoning and wrapped them with applewood smoked bacon. Threw them on the 26.75 with the russets for .5 hour.

Also at that time threw some some shredded italian and cheddar cheeses onto the russets and cooked everything together.

After an hour and half at 275 on the WSM, it was time to pull the ribs so they can be sauced. Used Weber's Kick and Spicy sauce, sauced both sides and threw them on the WSM for .5 hour to solidify the sauce to the ribs.

By 12:30, pulled everything off and served during the FF Draft. Ribs and poppers were a great hit. They were shocked that I made all of this, but not a crumb was let behind by the end of the draft.

Had to have my A game on today, hope this gets the party started on the Throwdown. Enjoy all.

BRITU St Louis Spares

20130825_095420.jpg
20130825_101734.jpg

On at 11am. Pan underneath to catch drippings for beans.

20130825_105506.jpg

What's that? A throwback throwdown? Asada to go in the beans!!
20130825_132923.jpg
20130825_153224.jpg

Why not some jerky too?
20130825_125020.jpg
20130825_125030.jpg

Ribs done and sauced at 3pm.

20130825_151207.jpg
20130825_152011.jpg

Time to eat!

20130825_153713.jpg

I posted these in another thread but thought I'd add them to the throwdown too.

Spare Ribs with COTC and soy sauce rice

Started with pork spareribs that I rubbed with yellow mustard and suckelbusters hog waller. I let them sit in the fridge overnight.

bth_PR5_zpsf58c298a.jpg

After about a hour I spayed them with apple juice.

bth_PR6_zps4958800c.jpg

After 3hrs I put them in foil with more rub some butter and honey and let them sit back on the smoker for 1 and 1/2 hrs till done.

bth_PR3_zpseca94838.jpg

When they finished up in the foil I put them back on the smoker with some SBR's for about a half hour just to firm them up a little more.
This is the plate. Pork Spare's with corn on the cob and soy sauce rice. The rice was was my 9yr old boys contribution so I cant take credit for that :).

bth_PR1_zps07f2b97e.jpg

Thanks for looking and good luck to everyone
Bobby

Nice cook and post Bobby...formable challenge, I like the rice also, way to start your boy out early in cooking.

This is my entry for Throwdown 15: Hotlanta Zing Pork Spareribs. Weds SWMBO brought home two packs of Spares. I trimmed them St Louis Style, cut them in half, dust one rack with Penzy's BBQ 3000 and the other with Penzy's BBQ of the Amercias. I used SPOG for the trimmings and left the rib tips nekkid. I vacuum packed the whole shooting match in 4 seperate bags: 2x ribs, trimmings, and tips. Then we headed to ATL Motor Speedway Thurs.

Fri, I fired up the mini WSM at 0730 to start the trimmings. I pulled them at 1100 and replaced them with the ribs.

Trimmings:

Ribs:

While the ribs cooked I put the trimmings in a CI Dutch Oven full of black eye peas.

I then cooked a CI skillet of corn bread and painted on a Zing Glaze.

Thanks for lettin me share the fun

Last edited:

Back