Throwdown #1: Flank Steak

Looks like I'm first. I worked my way through all of the usual suspects: fajitas, matambre, flank steak salad, flank on the coals, etc. I'll confess that I'm not a huge flank steak fan, so I consulted the mecca of all knowledge on the internet to see some other common usages. Wikipedia listed a few of my ideas, clued me in that McDonalds in the UK use flank and "forequarters" to make burger patties, and explained that the classical French bistro method of preparing flank is called Bavette a l'échalotte, which translates to flank steak with shallots. In this style the flank is seared in a hot skillet and then rested while shallots are cooked off in the same skillet and served on top. This seemed like a great direction to go in, but I wanted to also add my own twist. Literally.

Ingredients: flank, shallots, thyme, and an anonymous bottle of Cabernet Sauvignon.

37b238cb.jpg

Shallots with a generous dose of white pepper were wilted down in a skillet (let's just say that was done on my kettle), deglazed with red wine, then fresh thyme and a splash of red wine vinegar added as it cooled. The flank was then butterflied and the filling was added. The meat was seasoned on both sides with Kosher salt and white pepper.

fa4354ac.jpg

Rolled into a log and then tightly bound with plastic wrap to help it hold its shape without skewers.

e57a47b0-1.jpg

After a rest in the fridge to tighten it up, it came back out to warm a little then on the kettle indirect. Also pictured are some skillet potatoes that you'll never see again.

522f952b.jpg

Full disclosure: this cook took place on the same day as my epic bacon-curing/cheese-smoking/candy-making day, and after the flip I sort of lost track of time that the potatoes were over high heat while helping out with the candy. When I returned to the grill there was a slight note of oak wood burning along with a scent of potatoes beginning to incinerate. By the time I returned with a container for the potatoes they were well past their prime. So the CIS potatoes with Herbes de Provence were no longer a part of this meal, but remain a good idea. The oak and potato smoked flank was then seared on all sides on the very hot skillet.

Plated. Also pictured are some sauteed Sambal Oelek spinach, habanero cranberry relish, and some potato pancakes whipped up while the beef rested.

7a4e09d9.jpg

All in all, I'm very happy with the way the flank steak came out. The acidity of the red wine vinegar and sweetness of the shallots added a nice flavor to the smoky and beefy flank. I'm also happy that we're not being graded on side dishes. Thanks for looking, and I'm really hoping that I don't win by default. I really like the idea of throwdowns, and hopefully the timing of this around the holidays doesn't put a damper on participation.

Jon

Fantastic Plate Jon!
<span class="ev_code_WHITE">.........</span>and the food on it looks AWESOME!!!
YouWIN!

I like it a lot, Jon.

What, is everyone waiting until 11:59? :)
I just didn't have the time this month, but am looking forward to future throw downs.

Originally posted by JimK:
I just didn't have the time this month, but am looking forward to future throw downs.
Me too. I'm think there's a lot of that going around...
icon_frown.gif

The one free day in December I had to cook I spent on the couch with a 24 hour flu.

Looks great, Jon!

I thought the timing of it might be tough. Hopefully we can do another next month. It will be nIce to have some more daylight, too.

Originally posted by JimK:

Me too. I'm think there's a lot of that going around...
Whew. Me too. I'm planning on a flank for tomorrow. I had consulted with Jeff B on this one, so I didn't think it proper to enter the throwdown. I'll post for the fun of it though...

I'd consider extending the deadline, but I'm more inclined to let throwdown #1 go out as is.

Without any deliberation, I declare Jon the champion. I happily heap praises on him for several reasons:

1) he learned an important IC lesson, you never get to cook what you want, but you always have to make the best out of it

2) I love how he spun a classic preparation, made it his own, and made it fit the weber

3) it looked darn good (IC rule #1: make something good)

4) he worked it out despite the hectic holiday season, showing true IC determination

As an award, I offer him the opportunity to decide what the secret ingredient will be for throwdown #2. Jon, go ahead and start a thread asap!

Thanks Jeff and everyone else that posted. I actually have a perfect theme ingredient in mind, and will get it posted as soon as I can get a few minutes on a real computer later on today. Happy New Year everybody!

1) he learned an important IC lesson, you never get to cook what you want, but you always have to make the best out of it2) I love how he spun a classic preparation, made it his own, and made it fit the weber3) it looked darn good (IC rule #1: make something good) 4) he worked it out despite the hectic holiday season, showing true IC determination
Could not have said it better.

Thanks again for your comments. It really means a lot coming from you guys. Just about ready to post Throwdown 2, but I thought I'd take advantage of the situation and post another picture that I just couldn't work in. The 5 pic total might be the hardest part of this, and I really appreciate what the IC teams have gone through.

65f12b2c.jpg

Back