This should be a Weber

Have you ever cooked on a masterbuilt 560 or 1050?

No, but I have some good sense.

If they're getting that wood to ignite, then they're cooking at high temps.

Air Flow + Fuel = Cooking Temp

On a gravity feed, fuel amount is fixed, air flow is the variable. In order to ignite the wood, the air flow has to be high, very high, that means your cooking temps are gonna be high. And the problem with a gravity feed is they have low air flow. Heck, that Old Country GF uses a ball valve to control air intake.

On a stick burner, air flow is mostly fixed, the variable that controls cooking temp, is amount of fuel.

I would like , in person, to see the color of smoke coming out of that MB burning wood.

And then there's the problems of having an open flame in a device that was not designed for an open flame, IF they actually have an open flame. Talk about grease fire potential, along with burning the house down. I'm highly skeptical. I strongly suspect they're eating a lot of creosote.

The masterbuilt gravity fed isn't your typical gravity fed. Its way less efficient than a typical insulated gravity fed. Being less efficient it moves more air. I never used straight wood but I always put several nice size wood chunks in the hopper and food tasted great. All the guys I've seen post about using only wood seem to love it 🤷‍♂️

I wouldn't doubt that it's less efficient. Just ran a test burn in my monster (~1,200 lbs, fully insulated,) with 16 lbs of Kingsford briquettes, lit around 0800, up to 275 F by 0830, dropped to 175 F at 1115 (hit target around 1430,) and continued to burn until 0300 the following morning. That's 18+ hours, granted, it was unloaded and at a very low temp.

I'd still like to see one of the Masterbuilt smokers in person.

Back