this person should go to hell LOL

Definitely different, but I could possibly see that if it was a second grill sitting side by side with one that has its trays. I actually thought a little about doing something like that so that my wife would better tolerate two grills on our little deck. Have one with one type of grates and the other with a different type without taking up the space of two full grills.

It would be pretty awkward to use what he has by itself.

I couldn't tell what you were talking about until I noticed the shortened left side. Yuk.

"Originally yes they did have those side tables but they took up a lot of space so we removed them.

I honestly don't think we kept them. Sorry".

This is the reply I got. They seemed surprised I noticed. I checked on it, because I thought maybe they took them off when the grill was new, and they could be put back on, and the grill would THEN be a really sweet bargain.

You can't just "take them off" they sawed off the two sides of the frame. IMO it made that grill a worthless paper weight

Larry, Actually, I think you can just take them off. But, I still think it looks horrible and reduces the functionality of the grill immensely.

ceOcs5i.jpg

Yes, the extended frames on the newer Silver/Gold/Platinum have those extensions as Bruce shows. They are just short pieces that come right off. They are also very prone to rust except for the Platinum stainless:

3090s93.jpg

Larry, Actually, I think you can just take them off. But, I still think it looks horrible and reduces the functionality of the grill immensely.

ceOcs5i.jpg

Bruce and Jon are correct, those extensions absolutely can come off. They are not cheap either, at like $25 EACH, and that one is missing all four of them.

Bruce and Jon are correct, those extensions absolutely can come off. They are not cheap either, at like $25 EACH, and that one is missing all four of them.

I didn’t realize they were that high, but that just adds an extra dig to the problem they have with rust. The extra seams and bolt holes don’t help things. When I picked up my Platinum Genesis last week I was pretty amazed at how easy it was to remove one side of these to fit it in the van. (See my earlier picture.) One twist with a wrench and then easy hand turning. They still looked almost new. On my Genesis Silver C and a couple Golds I have worked on, the Florida rust monster makes these very hard to remove and they tend to fuse to the plastic end pieces.

I didn’t realize they were that high, but that just adds an extra dig to the problem they have with rust. The extra seams and bolt holes don’t help things. When I picked up my Platinum Genesis last week I was pretty amazed at how easy it was to remove one side of these to fit it in the van. (See my earlier picture.) One twist with a wrench and then easy hand turning. They still looked almost new. On my Genesis Silver C and a couple Golds I have worked on, the Florida rust monster makes these very hard to remove and they tend to fuse to the plastic end pieces.

I know what you mean, Jon. I've parted a Silver B Premium (that has the right-side swing shelf) and I wanted to salvage the right-side plastic endcap for the swing shelf. It was fused to the extension pieces, so I ended up taking an angle grinder and splitting the extension to salvage the endcap (the extensions were rusted through in places so I didn't feel bad about that).

I've also parted out a regular Silver B where I wanted to save the *extensions* and I ended up breaking the endcap to save the extensions.

JKim: I have had those exact same experiences with the endcaps. From breaking them off while trying to get them out to litterally cutting them out of a donor grill using an angle grinder and cutoff wheel. It amazes me how the plastic can bond with the rust....or maybe it is just the rust causing expansion and fusing the endcap in there.

JKim: I have had those exact same experiences with the endcaps. From breaking them off while trying to get them out to litterally cutting them out of a donor grill using an angle grinder and cutoff wheel. It amazes me how the plastic can bond with the rust....or maybe it is just the rust causing expansion and fusing the endcap in there.

I bought a Weber owner's manual last year with the white plastic binder and it came with an unopened tube of syl-glide or similar lubricant, to be applied to the endcaps. I suspect very few folks actually bothered to use the lube when putting the grill together.

And I suspect that Weber declined to do something more practical to remedy the situation.

Back