This Old (New?) Grill

TomRc

TVWBB Pro
A little bit of a long winded post here but it sets the table for future updates. I’ve wanted to build a fully restored 1000 series Weber using as many NOS parts as I could source for quite some time. I figure I’m about as close as I’ll ever get in my list of acquired components but the reality that my quest may be futile has set in enough that I decided to change gears a short while back. My new goal is to use the arsenal of NOS parts that I do have and then build out the remainder of the grill with the things that I like or to my tastes. As part of this build, I will try to be very diligent in posting photos with part numbers as I go. Hopefully, it will help someone else sometime down the road or or maybe even serve as some sort of recorded history as these old parts become harder and harder to find.

Today marked the first steps in assembly towards my goal. Job #1 was to get the entire frame powder coated. As you can see, the cook box and lid end caps were sandblasted bare as well. I chose to reassemble the frame using stainless steel bolts, SS washers, and nylon washers. Why?…because I could and I just like the stacked look better. We’ll call this “Tom’s choice” and you’ll see that this will be a fairly common theme as things progress. I included photos of the nylon washers and part number for reference. I’ve gone back and taken a picture of the installed bolts for reference and have added it here so others can opine as to how they feel about the look.

Attachments

• IMG_3684.jpeg
    IMG_3684.jpeg
    234 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_3685.jpeg
    IMG_3685.jpeg
    123.7 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0826.jpeg
    IMG_0826.jpeg
    170.4 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_0825.jpeg
    IMG_0825.jpeg
    178.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_3687.jpeg
    IMG_3687.jpeg
    232.1 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_0822.jpeg
    IMG_0822.jpeg
    145.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_0827.jpeg
    IMG_0827.jpeg
    127.7 KB · Views: 20
Last edited:
Step 2 was a rolling chassis. A pair of 63050 wheels and 6414 casters leveled things out. I cut a custom 3/8” x 22” solid stainless steel axle for the rear pinned together by the axle cap nuts as pictured. The blue on the rear wheels is a couple of wraps of painters tape to keep them fresh and clean during reassembly. More to follow as the project progresses.

Attachments

• IMG_3692.jpeg
    IMG_3692.jpeg
    217.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_3688.jpeg
    IMG_3688.jpeg
    139.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_3689.jpeg
    IMG_3689.jpeg
    153 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_3691.jpeg
    IMG_3691.jpeg
    140.5 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_3690.jpeg
    IMG_3690.jpeg
    197.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_0824.jpeg
    IMG_0824.jpeg
    176.9 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_0823.jpeg
    IMG_0823.jpeg
    110 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
This will be an interesting build thread. Subscribed!

I have notice this year that a lot of mostly newer TVWBB members have come on board and brought some severe cases of Weberitis along with fat wallets to match. A lot of these builds seem to be all out with few expenses spared. It is almost as much fun to watch others shop for grill stuff as it is to do it myself.

Watching this closely as I'm facing the same dilemma with my 1985 Gen 2. NOS is almost nonexistent on everything I need. So, with that do I restore it as best I can and bring the old gal back to life making it my own creation and using it like my other grills or make it the best I could do yard queen never to cook again.

Decisions decisions :unsure:

This will be an interesting build thread. Subscribed!

I have notice this year that a lot of mostly newer TVWBB members have come on board and brought some severe cases of Weberitis along with fat wallets to match. A lot of these builds seem to be all out with few expenses spared. It is almost as much fun to watch others shop for grill stuff as it is to do it myself.
I can’t speak for others but the funds will certainly add up for me on this one. I do plan to offer it for sale when it’s done but I’m already fairly confident that no one will pay the price once I’ve tallied costs up. I can live with another piece of unused eye candy in the collection too if it comes to that.

Watching this closely as I'm facing the same dilemma with my 1985 Gen 2. NOS is almost nonexistent on everything I need. So, with that do I restore it as best I can and bring the old gal back to life making it my own creation and using it like my other grills or make it the best I could do yard queen never to cook again.

Decisions decisions :unsure:
Not being able to come up with a new control panel, original woodwork, or a new pointer-style tank scale were the clinchers for me to move in a different direction. I’ve got a great representative for the control panel but it isn’t new. I can also restore tank scales with the best of them. And, of course, reproduction woodwork is certainly available from any number of resources. Unfortunately, NOS means NOS to me and one compromise would just lead to another. I’ve spent more than 5 years gathering parts and working towards my original goal. It was time to change gears. Hopefully, you find peace with your decision, regardless of what it might be.

I don’t know, man. You shot me down pretty hard last time I tried to buy it. I don’t think I can handle that kind of rejection again. :)
I wasn't really interested in selling it then at any price. It's up to you, but I would be more open to negotiation now.

Not being able to come up with a new control panel, original woodwork, or a new pointer-style tank scale were the clinchers for me to move in a different direction. I’ve got a great representative for the control panel but it isn’t new. I can also restore tank scales with the best of them. And, of course, reproduction woodwork is certainly available from any number of resources. Unfortunately, NOS means NOS to me and one compromise would just lead to another. I’ve spent more than 5 years gathering parts and working towards my original goal. It was time to change gears. Hopefully, you find peace with your decision, regardless of what it might be.
Tom,
I certainly can see that your skill sets are way above mine. With that said I also have a 1998 genesis 1000LX that I bought new in 1998, and I converted to a Gen 2000 which my wonderful wife claimed as hers. That one I have an attachment too, not so much the 1995 gen 2. I'm 76 and it's getting harder and harder to do the simple things in life let alone a restoration on a big old grill. Time will tell if I have the energy to do it.
Like you I wanted to do a period correct restoration, but that doesn't seem possible now.

DSCN2766.JPG

Today marked the first steps in assembly towards my goal. Job #1 was to get the entire frame powder coated. As you can see, the cook box and lid end caps were sandblasted bare as well. I chose to reassemble the frame using stainless steel bolts, SS washers, and nylon washers. Why?…because I could and I just like the stacked look better. We’ll call this “Tom’s choice” and you’ll see that this will be a fairly common theme as things progress. I included photos of the nylon washers and part number for reference. I’ve gone back and taken a picture of the installed bolts for reference and have added it here so others can opine as to how they feel about the look.

I’m liking the stacked look!

The weather has put a literal damper on my plans to paint over the last 2 days so tonight I decided to unbox this NOS 9850 LP side burner. It won’t work for the project I’m documenting here as it fits a Genesis II and Genesis III according to front & side of the box. However, I don’t really anticipate ever using it on a different project in the future (sorry, not much of a side burner fan) so I thought this might be a good place to share it nonetheless. I also thought it was kinda cool to find the original Weber shipping label where it was sent to the “Home Appliance Mart” on Stadium Blvd in Ann Arbor, MI. I’m sure someone on here knows of the place and/or has actually shopped there at some point in time. Enjoy the pics.

Attachments

• IMG_0831.jpeg
    IMG_0831.jpeg
    166.6 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0832.jpeg
    IMG_0832.jpeg
    141.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0833.jpeg
    IMG_0833.jpeg
    202.5 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0834.jpeg
    IMG_0834.jpeg
    150.3 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0835.jpeg
    IMG_0835.jpeg
    139.8 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0836.jpeg
    IMG_0836.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0837.jpeg
    IMG_0837.jpeg
    136.1 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_0838.jpeg
    IMG_0838.jpeg
    135 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0839.jpeg
    IMG_0839.jpeg
    110.7 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0840.jpeg
    IMG_0840.jpeg
    135.3 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0841.jpeg
    IMG_0841.jpeg
    126.4 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0842.jpeg
    IMG_0842.jpeg
    104.5 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_0843.jpeg
    IMG_0843.jpeg
    71.1 KB · Views: 10
Tom I have original wood from a Genesis 2. I think all the wood is intact and in great condition. Not new but... I can dig it out and take pics if you would like

Are you going to use your NOS durawood tables on this grill?
No, but that was the original plan. I’m assuming I won’t be able to sell the grill for value when done and will wind up keeping it, so I’ve now lined up mahogany with Dave Santana z-bars in a nod to the “things Tom likes” Plan B. When I reach that point in the project, I’m still going to share pics of the NOS durawood shelves with their part numbers for reference. If I happen to line up a buyer, they can have their choice of either the woodwork or Durawood.

Tom I have original wood from a Genesis 2. I think all the wood is intact and in great condition. Not new but... I can dig it out and take pics if you would like
Sure. PM me. I have a project not far down in the queue that I could use them on.

No, but that was the original plan. I’m assuming I won’t be able to sell the grill for value when done and will wind up keeping it, so I’ve now lined up mahogany with Dave Santana z-bars in a nod to the “things Tom likes” Plan B. When I reach that point in the project, I’m still going to share pics of the NOS durawood shelves with their part numbers for reference. If I happen to line up a buyer, they can have their choice of either the woodwork or Durawood.
That works. The prettiest grill I ever did(in my opinion)had mahogany slats and stainless steel z bars.

Back