This Genesis looks different...?

AlexDurso

TVWBB Member
The handle and side tables look different to me than the typical one you see on the older Genesis models. Is it some special model or just one I haven’t seen before.

E697DBDA-70F0-43AE-8C0A-53FEEF7023E0.jpeg

Yah, that is a special model. It is a Platinum instead of Gold/Silver and it was only made for a couple years. I think it was 2000-2001.

This was probably the most "rugged" looking Genesis grill, due to the beefy Summit frame and the big, elevated side shelves. Love that condiment rack in the front!

This was a short-run model. Probably because of the frame being phased out when the 1st generation Summit was replaced. Also, looking at one in person at Bruce's place, I was struck by how BIG the overall grill is and yet you still have the same size Genesis firebox and only two shelves (no fold-downs). So, maybe, this design - although cool - was a dead end. Certainly, the later Gold's with dual flip down shelves offered more utility in the same space.

However, the short run and unique aspects of this grill now make it a very collectible one. And, it will obviously cook as well as any classic Genesis.

Nice grill to have as a "keeper" only thing for me it's missing is a side burner but that is personal taste. Outstanding find!

uhh, dang it's aluminum, but the only thing I could find that fit's the side pieces on the 00-01 Gold. I guess I'll start hunting again

Before you toss that thing, do a little research. It may work fine, but just be susceptible to soaking up the dye. But if you don't care about it becoming a black pot, then that is OK. I just know that stainless steel was always recommended in my limited research.

The handle and side tables look different to me than the typical one you see on the older Genesis models. Is it some special model or just one I haven’t seen before.

View attachment 9853
Alex,

They are a great grill with plenty of cooking space. I just sold a Gold B (No Side Burner). if it's a keeper then a little elbow grease and some paint will have it looking brand new. Here are some pics just to show how well they clean up.

Bobby20200621_181939.jpg20200621_182511.jpg

I don't think the aluminum pot will interfere with the dying process but it WILL dye the pot whatever color and it will never be useful again for food or canning purposes. Though those of you that know me know I never use aluminum for food prep
Double line it with a double garbage bag.....and then pour in your water/dye. Problem solved! Just pray that the garbage bag(s) dont leak.

Back