This $20,000 propane grill blew my mind

There is something to be said for having an American factory with skilled American craftsmen stop whatever they are doing to go and build a super high end grill just for you. I bet they get a kick out of building the best they can whenever an order does come in.

Today my son and I finally started dismantling our player piano to get it out of the house. It was made in Newark, NJ in the 1920's. While you could still technically get it to "play" rolls, it wasn't worth putting money into and had to go. It needed a complete overhaul of the piano part and the player mechanism was leaky, and the case was rough. Anyway, the craftsmanship! Thousands of pieces made and fitted by skilled workers. Castings. Veneer over solid hardwood. Clockwork. Bellows. Probably 15 lbs of lead. Elephant ivory. All done without modern tools. Newark today does have an arts center and an insurance headquarters and a hockey arena and some nice restaurants and a federal courthouse, but other than that it is basically a slum. No skilled craftsmen there. (My apologies if you are a skilled craftsman and work in Newark)
Well,true about Newark...there is Ironbound and this place...if you've never eaten there, you should.
2016-11-10.jpg

Chris, that's a nice looking grill but really doesn't appear to be any nicer or different than a current Weber offering. Do you know what that model went for new?
Seriously? Maybe yeah it has some burners in a box like all grills. That thing is in a totally different league than anything Weber currently makes or will make other than perhaps the Vieluxe which as Toyota did with Lexus they don't even call a Weber. Vieluxe stood out as it's own "brand" not a model.

Piano got broken up and sorted into scrap wood, metal, brass (pedals, bass, some mechanism), and lead. Too damn heavy for a couple of guys to get to the curb. I might hold onto some of the big wood pieces for something. My wife was thinking about cleaning up and spray painting the frame to hang on a wall as a decoration. My town will take the metal. I think the lead might recycle with car batteries. The ivory is illegal to sell and therefore has no value. The player mechanism is pretty specific to that manufacturer, so I don't think anybody would want it.

Player pianos can be rebuilt and there are shops that do this type of work. The paper rolls, on the other hand, haven't been made in decades. I have about one hundred. I will be looking for a new home for those, as well as the return roller and the vacuum tool for the chads, probably on Ebay.
People are getting $2/ pound for lead up here in MA. Perhaps a local handloader would like it.

Looks like we are moving from "Buick" Webers to "Ferrari" grills!

It is definitely true that some decent examples of those very high-end grills do occasionally come up for sale at low prices - at least relative to what they cost new. Figure on some expensive parts, but in addition to great grilling, they would make a pearl of a deck item for bragging rights!

I just seriously don't understand how somebody with 10's of k's for a ten-foot-long 800 lb grill buys propane. He most likely would have NG to his house to power his overpriced range (not naming names).

Using all those BTU's would mean Joe Richguy would be constantly running to the gas station to put more 20lb tanks in his Ferrari, and he would still be changing tanks in the middle of his fancy parties.

He even has to run electric out to the grill, so why not gas?
My mom has a 500 gallon propane tank to heat the house and hot water. I wish there was a supply to her Genesis so we wouldn't have to schlep tanks around.

Looks like we are moving from "Buick" Webers to "Ferrari" grills!

It is definitely true that some decent examples of those very high-end grills do occasionally come up for sale at low prices - at least relative to what they cost new. Figure on some expensive parts, but in addition to great grilling, they would make a pearl of a deck item for bragging rights!
Indeed! When I was looking for the "real" Fire Magic replacement parts on their website, I found them to be ridiculously expensive... put a logo on it and charge to the moon. I think that's the magic of true commercial grade components, because they will probably outlast a lifetime and most of them typically crossover and work independent of brands.

This grill is used by Steve Rachlin , he shows that you can cook with gas, charcoal basket, and also wood logs above the gas burners, rotisserie, all in one but still way over priced to me and not portable, to be able to move out of weather or winds

I sure loved mine as well. First car

Attachments

• 10334360_1406178323001673_8786738571425657446_n.jpg
    10334360_1406178323001673_8786738571425657446_n.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 10390256_1406175909668581_3433750155655069312_n.jpg
    10390256_1406175909668581_3433750155655069312_n.jpg
    71.9 KB · Views: 8
  • 10406896_1406175906335248_6221443550483353033_n.jpg
    10406896_1406175906335248_6221443550483353033_n.jpg
    60 KB · Views: 8
My mom has a 500 gallon propane tank to heat the house and hot water. I wish there was a supply to her Genesis so we wouldn't have to schlep tanks around.
One reasonably inexpensive option might be to purchase a second (larger) tank for the grill. The propane truck could top it up every time it came over to do the house. I imagine that you use the grill a lot.

Edit - The second tank could also give your mom a bit of redundancy if you could cross connect it to the house in a pinch.

The propane company will only fill tanks they own and lease. I'm there often enough that I change the tank when it's half empty with a full one and bring the half tank home with me to empty out completely.

Adding a hard line to supply LPG to the grill seems easy enough, yet is not cost effective due to permits, inspections and HOA approvals.

edit: and my Mom drives a Buick and has a Genesis.

Back