Thinner pizza crust.

Just a shot in the dark here, but have you tried adding the yeast after the first mixing and letting the dough rest covered for 20 mins or so, then adding the yeast to the dough and mixing till the dough clears the bowl. I have read somewhere that adding the salt too early inhibits the yeast growth.
What you are referring to is called an autolyse, some people do it for pizza but it’s mainly used in bread making.

Adding salt and yeast at the same time in a pizza dough won’t cause the yeast not to rise unless the yeast is bad, of course you don’t really want to add straight salt to Yeast

I like about 62% hydration, and start with 65 degree water and it should end up about 80 degrees when the dough is done. You don’t want finished dough temps much more than 80 degrees

I like a lower amount. From when I started out in 2017, that ended up too sticky for me.

For me, a lower hydration amount resulted in a better texture.

Can you describe the difference between a 48 hour cold fermentation, and a same day one? Just so I can see an analogy to something.

I'm going to try this 48 hour fermentation next. I think it's going to help a lot, since it's something new from what I've been doing.

Here is my go to recipe, use a good bread flour like King Arthur
Dough

Makes 4 skins about 400g for 14” pizzas
Notes: water 65 degrees
Power flour or bread flour,
Water and salt in first, then add flour and yeast. Add oil after shaggy then mix on speed 2 for 6 minutes. Cut and ball and oil right away and into storage bags. Refrigerate for 48 hours
I made this dough recently, and it was easily the best dough I've ever made at home. Thank you so much for sharing this. It made 4 fantastic dough balls; pizza turned out fantastic.

I found a pizza dough recipe that I really like. The ones before it were pretty good too, but the one I tried in May 2020 I like more.

However, any pizza I've ever made the past 3.5+ years has always been a little thick. No matter what I do, I can't seem to make it thinner.

I let it rise for hours at room temperature, so it's already at room temperature.

When I stretch the dough, and remove it from its ball form, no matter how much time I allow, it never stays super think. No matter what I've tried, over the years.

Scroll to the bottom of this album to see what I mean:

I don't mind how it comes out. I do just want to learn though how to make it thin. Without changing the dough recipe. Since I like the last one, and want to stay with it. I'm tired of trying different dough recipes, over the years.

Is there just some technique with my hand, that I might not be doing?
Late to the party BUT has been said, your recipe needs to be reduced substantially for the same size pizza.

For a 16' 'za, look at these quantities:

INGREDIENTS​

• 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 1/2-2 cups all purpose flour, divided
  • 1 cup water
  • 2 Tbsp honey
  • 2 tsp yeast
  • 3 Tbsp olive oil
  • 1 1/2 tsp salt
2.5 cups of flour vs your almost 3.5 C

If you can't roll it thin enough (it "shrinks" back), do as much as you can, let it rest for 10 min then try again. And if you end up ripping it (too thin), just steal a piece from the edge and patch it. Then roll that patch.

What do you mean by "Power flour"?
It’s a professional flour sold in bulk, my local Costco business center carries it for $17/50lbs. It has a protein of 13.5% and I usually split a bag with a friend.

Wait...yes I did. Sorry...forgot I took this. Cooked on the gasser...temp never got higher than about 500, which is low imo. Emile Henry pizza stone...I love it. I could've gotten the crust browned more evenly on charcoal, and the bottom definitely did not have leopard spotting. But it was outstanding.
Sausage, mushroom, and yes, 🍍. Only way I can keep my wife from eating my pie. Hers was pepperoni.20201123_222028.jpg

The Whetstone rolling pins are out of stock. I emailed them to ask them when they'll be back.

Wait...yes I did. Sorry...forgot I took this. Cooked on the gasser...temp never got higher than about 500, which is low imo. Emile Henry pizza stone...I love it. I could've gotten the crust browned more evenly on charcoal, and the bottom definitely did not have leopard spotting. But it was outstanding.
Sausage, mushroom, and yes, 🍍. Only way I can keep my wife from eating my pie. Hers was pepperoni.View attachment 20473
If you want more browning for low temps use a little sugar or diastatic malt powder

The Whetstone rolling pins are out of stock. I emailed them to ask them when they'll be back.
@TCampbell, I got the rolling pin.

Don't know when I'll make a pizza, but it won't be in January, have other things I want to make.

What can I use to clean the rolling pin, via hand wash, without scratching it? Can I use steel wool or chain mail? Or only a sponge?

That's great news, Arun. We just use a soapy sponge for ours. Occasionally, if it gets stuck-on flour, we'll use an Oxo soap-dispensing brush. About once a month I wipe it with food grade mineral oil, same as my cutting board. Thing still looks new. Enjoy the new pin!

Tim

That's great news, Arun. We just use a soapy sponge for ours. Occasionally, if it gets stuck-on flour, we'll use an Oxo soap-dispensing brush. About once a month I wipe it with food grade mineral oil, same as my cutting board. Thing still looks new. Enjoy the new pin!

Tim
Thanks for the advice.

My package also came with a small black square thing. Is that sandpaper? The instructions did say that using sandpaper, occasionally, was an optional step.

As I'm slowly preparing myself to try Pizza again, probably using @M Andreyka's recipe, a question.

I ordered olive wood. I didn't know it would come in log form, I thought it was going to be chunks.

Is there an axe someone could recommend for chopping the logs in half or 1/3? And is this easy enough? Could I chop the log into these desire sizes with a few strokes? I've never chopped wood before.

So if someone could link to whatever axe size/weight would help, that would be good, thanks.

On another note, I think I will also try balsamic onions on the pizza, never made balsamic onions before.

Here is my go to recipe, use a good bread flour like King Arthur
Dough

Makes 4 skins about 400g for 14” pizzas
Notes: water 65 degrees
Power flour or bread flour,
Water and salt in first, then add flour and yeast. Add oil after shaggy then mix on speed 2 for 6 minutes. Cut and ball and oil right away and into storage bags. Refrigerate for 48 hours

I noticed one more thing. I'm glad your recipe is already sized for 14" pizzas, since I prefer 14-15".

Most recipes I find are 10-12", and I have to convert them.

But yours is already the right size for what I want.

Back