Thinking of refurbing my Weber 900

Well, I put this rehab off for another year but I have to do something now. One of the posts that bottom tray rail screws into crumbled. And while I was disassembling the gril the other one crumbled. IMG_0689.jpeg
now I either need a new firebox (which has other issues shown above) or I have to rebuild the posts.

My plan is to grind the post down level then drill a hole on the box where the post was. I have a length of aluminum 1/2 in OD and 1/4in ID. I can cut a piece the necessary length then grind an end down at an angle so that it will sit flush on the fire box. I may need to do the same inside so the bolt will sit flat. A 1/4in bolt should then go through the spacers, firebox and rail. Clear as mud? It works in my head but that is subject to going astray also.
Is there a better way to lake the repair?

i used to see grills of this vintage regularly but haven’t lately. Is the genesis platinum posted earlier on this thread the same as mine? I had been discounting anything that didn’t look like mine.
Thanks,
Eddie

If you don't want to deal with trying to fix that one, I wouldn't. The cook box from any Genesis Silver grill is the same and much newer.

Steve: I think that is a Genesis 1000 era cook box.

But, still, I would look for a donor grill rather than try to cobble that one together.
You're right about the time period. That Spirit line was the precursor to the Genesis Silver grills that came later though so it used the same shallow five flavorizer bars cook box.

Great. My firebox has multiple issues. I think this patch will work but there is nothing I can do for the other issues. I had discounted anything that didn’t look like mine so I go look again..
Eddie

Great. My firebox has multiple issues. I think this patch will work but there is nothing I can do for the other issues. I had discounted anything that didn’t look like mine so I go look again..
Eddie
You shouldn't have any problems finding a cheap Silver B that you can use for parts.

Thanks Steve, I didn't realize that. I thought it was a Genesis 900 and used the same cook box as the Genesis 1000. I don't think I had ever come across one of those.
The 900 and 700 use the same firebox as a Genesis B/C.

The frames don’t have end caps like the Genesis B/C

They have a round tube manifold that’s the same dimensions as a Genesis B/C

Most parts are still available

Good to know. Do the manifolds basically have the valves that are identical to B/C grills as well. Basically, are the entire manifolds the same as B/C grills?

Good to know. Do the manifolds basically have the valves that are identical to B/C grills as well. Basically, are the entire manifolds the same as B/C grills?
IIRC that series of grills had lower BTUs so there was a "premium" heat output to move to the Genesis

That is interesting Larry. I wonder if someone can confirm that. Maybe someone has a sticker with the BTU's listed from one of them.

Thread in valves like the early round manifold Genesis B/C

The side tables are plastic. Not durawood, not thermoset

Weber skimped on the frame. Just 1 lower bar in the center for stability

I don’t see them much. This is one I did with a mix of parts

1729261727745.png

That is basically the same grill that started my Weber addiction 7-8 years ago. It had the plastic left side shelf. It was a disaster overall too but still worked.

The Spirit 700 we bought in 1994 came with a lid that was an inch or so shallower than those on the 1000s and Silvers, etc. I wondered if the 900s used the smaller lid also. Both lids had the same footprint....

Here is my patch. It will work at least until I can find a replacement box. I hope this is not too many pictures.

IMG_0692.jpegCrumbled post.

IMG_0693.jpegCenter drilled post.

IMG_0695.jpeg Ground down.

IMG_0697.jpeg1/4 in drilled.

IMG_0704.jpegPainted.

IMG_0701.jpegBeveled spacers.
IMG_0699.jpegOutside..

IMG_0700.jpegInside.

Attachments

• IMG_0693.jpeg
    IMG_0693.jpeg
    171.2 KB · Views: 4
Here is my patch. It will work at least until I can find a replacement box. I hope this is not too many pictures.

View attachment 102123Crumbled post.

View attachment 102135Center drilled post.

View attachment 102125 Ground down.

View attachment 1021261/4 in drilled.

View attachment 102127Painted.

View attachment 102131Beveled spacers.
View attachment 102132Outside..

View attachment 102133Inside.
That looks great.

Just make sure you paint the outside of the firebox with high heat paint to seal up the bare spots to prevent further corrosion

Back