Thinking of refurbing my Weber 900

Well, I put this rehab off for another year but I have to do something now. One of the posts that bottom tray rail screws into crumbled. And while I was disassembling the gril the other one crumbled. IMG_0689.jpeg
now I either need a new firebox (which has other issues shown above) or I have to rebuild the posts.

My plan is to grind the post down level then drill a hole on the box where the post was. I have a length of aluminum 1/2 in OD and 1/4in ID. I can cut a piece the necessary length then grind an end down at an angle so that it will sit flush on the fire box. I may need to do the same inside so the bolt will sit flat. A 1/4in bolt should then go through the spacers, firebox and rail. Clear as mud? It works in my head but that is subject to going astray also.
Is there a better way to lake the repair?

i used to see grills of this vintage regularly but haven’t lately. Is the genesis platinum posted earlier on this thread the same as mine? I had been discounting anything that didn’t look like mine.
Thanks,
Eddie

If you don't want to deal with trying to fix that one, I wouldn't. The cook box from any Genesis Silver grill is the same and much newer.

Steve: I think that is a Genesis 1000 era cook box.

But, still, I would look for a donor grill rather than try to cobble that one together.

Steve: I think that is a Genesis 1000 era cook box.

But, still, I would look for a donor grill rather than try to cobble that one together.
You're right about the time period. That Spirit line was the precursor to the Genesis Silver grills that came later though so it used the same shallow five flavorizer bars cook box.

Great. My firebox has multiple issues. I think this patch will work but there is nothing I can do for the other issues. I had discounted anything that didn’t look like mine so I go look again..
Eddie

Great. My firebox has multiple issues. I think this patch will work but there is nothing I can do for the other issues. I had discounted anything that didn’t look like mine so I go look again..
Eddie
You shouldn't have any problems finding a cheap Silver B that you can use for parts.

Thanks Steve, I didn't realize that. I thought it was a Genesis 900 and used the same cook box as the Genesis 1000. I don't think I had ever come across one of those.

Back