Thinking of making the jump to a 22.5" from my loved 18.5" and I have a few questions

Justin P

I've been cooking on my 18.5" for around 15 years, and needless to say I love it. I need to order a new charcoal grate (I burned it through in a couple spots), and I think I will replace my cooking grates at the same time. I use it mostly to cook Pork shoulders for pulled Pork. My family loves it, and I typically cook 4- 8 lbs. shoulders at once. This gives us several good meals, and some freezer stock for sandwiches.

I'm considering adding the 22.5" to my collection. We have an annual 4th of July party, and I cook 6- 8 lbs. shoulders, and every piece gets eaten. To cook 6 shoulders, I use my 14" to cook 2, and my 18.5" to cook 4. This is where I think the 22.5" might be better for me. I really like the 14" for chicken, and other smaller meals that require less cooking time, but I struggle with the 14" doing shoulders. My shoulders typically take 12-14 hours, and it seems like the ash catcher and the charcoal area is not as big proportionately as the 18.5". My charcoal only lasts 8 hours or so, and It seems like the ash from Kingsford piles up so high in the 14", that it chokes out the air flow, reducing the heat, if I don't scoop out the ash mid cook. I'm not a fan of scooping out that ash mid cook.

Here's where my main question comes in with the 22.5". Can I put 6- 8 lbs. shoulders on it, load it up with charcoal, and let it run 12-14 hours? Is the ash catcher big enough to hold all that ash and not choke out my fire if I need to refill my charcoal a bit to finish out the cook?

What other things should I be considering before making the jump to 22.5"? Give me all the pros and cons from your experience.

Like I said, I really like the 14" for shorter cooks, and I think it really saves money on charcoal compared to cooking chicken on the 18.5". I just wonder how the 22.5" compares. Thanks for the help and advice.

Yes, you can cook six 8-pound butts in the 22.5" WSM. There's plenty of room for ash collection, but you might consider switching to Kingsford Professional for less ash production even in your 14.5" WSM, much less your future 22.5".

The 22.5" is a much bigger cooker, so it will use more fuel than you're used to. The door does not fit well right out of the box; rather than buy a third party door that also may not fit right, it's best to adjust the stock door by hand until you get it good enough. It doesn't need to be hermetically sealed, it just needs to fit similar to your other two WSMs.

Here's a comparison article, it may include a few tidbits of interest to you.

Thanks for the info Chris. I have switched to Kingsford pro recently, since Costco now carries it for a decent price. I'll have to give it a try on the 14". I should probably have all the sizes of WSM. :p

Ive been using an 18.5 since 2006 and it's done everything I need , my only complaint is large brisket..yeah a packer can be stuffed in there but it's not always fun to deal with...the last few brisket cooks I did them on my lang offset, just because there is more room and I did a few for friends during the holidays and now memorial day requests are coming in ....other than having to kill an entire day to babysit it, the brisket was just easier taking it on and off to wrap etc. Fast forward to today, I would rather do them on the wsm... now Im thinking of the 22 wsm just for this very reason, more room ...after using the offset more often the 18.5 feels kinda small now.

...struggle with the 14" doing shoulders. My shoulders typically take 12-14 hours, and it seems like the ash catcher and the charcoal area is not as big proportionately as the 18.5". My charcoal only lasts 8 hours or so, and It seems like the ash from Kingsford piles up so high in the 14", that it chokes out the air flow, reducing the heat, if I don't scoop out the ash mid cook. I'm not a fan of scooping out that ash mid cook.
curious what temps you cook pork shoulder at? also are you a water pan guy?

Based on your having burned through the charcoal grate - you are much more experienced with the WSM compared to me. I've had to flip mine a few times from bowing, but still firmly intact!

My 14" WSM uses an arborfab charcoal basket. With a dry pan will run 225 with (2) ten pound butts. I have done this more than once. (edit to add: without scooping)

In my opinion, you should definitely get another Weber Smokey Mountain. What could go wrong with that plan?

curious what temps you cook pork shoulder at? also are you a water pan guy?

Based on your having burned through the charcoal grate - you are much more experienced with the WSM compared to me. I've had to flip mine a few times from bowing, but still firmly intact!

My 14" WSM uses an arborfab charcoal basket. With a dry pan will run 225 with (2) ten pound butts. I have done this more than once. (edit to add: without scooping)

In my opinion, you should definitely get another Weber Smokey Mountain. What could go wrong with that plan?
Andy, just for clarification, I burned through the charcoal grate on my 18.5", my 14" is much newer. On my 14", I start with water in the pan, but I don't refill it. I can typically get steady temps around 250 for 8 hours or so, with 2- 8 lbs. butts. Then I need to start adding charcoal. I don't know what the Arborfab charcoal basket is, but I'm going to look into it.

Yes, if I get another smoker, it will be a WSM. I like the idea of having all the sizes. I'm a Weber grill hoarder in good company on this forum. (y)

Hey Justin,

I cooked for quite a while with at first one then 2 18.5s, then upgraded to a 22.5, then a Traeger. Since we moved in to a camp trailer in an RV park I've down graded to the cheapest smoky joe, which does a great job on small/short cooks and is a pretty good smoker in you adjust the vents right.

We should be moving in to our new house within a month and I'm thinking about a 14.5 and 22.5 WSM and a 22.5 kettle. I really loved the 22.5 WSM and I'm really interested in playing with a 14.5 baby WSM.

All that said I say go for the 22.5 WSM and don't look back. YOLO

Back