Thinking of getting a Kamado E6…

Mark Foreman

TVWBB Wizard
Need to do some work to my performer. Am considering an Summit E6. This would replace both the 14 & 22s along with the performer.

Thoughts?

You didn't think about it too long.
I enjoy mine, only burnt in it 2 or 3 times so far and still cannot keep the temp below 260 with wood in it for smoking.
I should be upset but it works for me, I never smoke below 250 so it works perfectly. Seems funny because mine burns that hot with the bottom vent 100% closed.
I would also never get rid of my performer.....its like the leader of all my Weber's, I love it.

Mark -- keep us posted on what you ultimately decide to keep in the quiver.

The logic is that the kamado could replace both the charcoal grill and the charcoal smokers, with the gasser staying. But let's see if that actually happens.

The lid is spring loaded obviously.....when I was building mine there were bolts / pins in the lid at the hinge, you should look for holes. I am only guessing but open the lid then close it slowly but stand at the side so you can see the hinge, possibly 2 holes lining up. If so I would think you need to get a bolt in either side and thread a nut on before you remove your lid. I didn't design it but I am thinking this is for the good of your bbq and possibly yourself.

You didn't think about it too long.
I enjoy mine, only burnt in it 2 or 3 times so far and still cannot keep the temp below 260 with wood in it for smoking.
I should be upset but it works for me, I never smoke below 250 so it works perfectly. Seems funny because mine burns that hot with the bottom vent 100% closed.
I would also never get rid of my performer.....its like the leader of all my Weber's, I love it.
Not be able to keep the temps below 260 kind of defeats the purpose of low & slow. Do you think it may be due to still being almost new & that your still needing to refine it?

Going to try it out tomorrow!

Baby backs, 1 slab.

I found nothing in the manual that requires a burn in. Am not planning to do that. All internals have been cleaned. Going to fire up some coals and rock…. Any need for water pan?

Not be able to keep the temps below 260 kind of defeats the purpose of low & slow. Do you think it may be due to still being almost new & that your still needing to refine it?
Well I haven't been told how low some can go with this new smoker.
I have smoked so low and slow for a lot of years and I want to be honest, I like it more when cooked a bit higher. I did a brisket last weekend, 8 pound pre trimmed point. It wasn't the thickest but I did everything as I should and smoked it about 260. When the smoke kicked in I could see it rise to about 270. This was cooked and in the cooler in about 9 to 9.5 hours and my guests said it was better than they have had. After trying out racks of pork ribs on higher heat of 300 or better I find the texture to be more appealing while all the smoke flavor is still there.
Like I said before I should maybe be a little upset that it doesn't go below 260, or the thing is still so new I have no " gunk " build up at all yet other than the top vent which has gone from so loose it wouldn't stay put to nice and sticky now. So I really just think there is a lot of small air leaks in the E6 and just like my performer when it was new will seal up and I should have some play in the bottom vent where hopefully 260 is an inch or so from the closed position.
I rarely use it and default to the 22" when doing anything basically. I should cook a few times in the E6 and get some more crap built up in it.
Do you have one of these new E6's?
And what do you mean by refine it?

Baby backs, 1 slab.

I found nothing in the manual that requires a burn in. Am not planning to do that. All internals have been cleaned. Going to fire up some coals and rock…. Any need for water pan?

Take what I said about the lid to heart man.
If you unbolt the lid its going to go bananas on you.

Well I haven't been told how low some can go with this new smoker.
I have smoked so low and slow for a lot of years and I want to be honest, I like it more when cooked a bit higher. I did a brisket last weekend, 8 pound pre trimmed point. It wasn't the thickest but I did everything as I should and smoked it about 260. When the smoke kicked in I could see it rise to about 270. This was cooked and in the cooler in about 9 to 9.5 hours and my guests said it was better than they have had. After trying out racks of pork ribs on higher heat of 300 or better I find the texture to be more appealing while all the smoke flavor is still there.
Like I said before I should maybe be a little upset that it doesn't go below 260, or the thing is still so new I have no " gunk " build up at all yet other than the top vent which has gone from so loose it wouldn't stay put to nice and sticky now. So I really just think there is a lot of small air leaks in the E6 and just like my performer when it was new will seal up and I should have some play in the bottom vent where hopefully 260 is an inch or so from the closed position.
I rarely use it and default to the 22" when doing anything basically. I should cook a few times in the E6 and get some more crap built up in it.
Do you have one of these new E6's?
And what do you mean by refine it?
Refine it, may be a poor choice of words, basically ways to improve it by making small changes. You already mentioned that the "gunk" level is minimal due to not being used much. If you haven't done this yet you may want to test the temp with a different thermometer & I'm not sure if you can calibrate the thermometer on the E6.

I do not own a Kamado style grill, however I know people that have the BGE & they rave about smoking in the 210-240 range.

Like Darryl said have not cooked slow and low for years especially on ribs. 275 on my UDS and done in about 5 hours and 20 minutes I wrap after about 2 hours and 10 minutes though my family likes fall of the bone so it is what it is.

I am less than a week into a new first generation Weber Summit Charcoal and all I can say is.. holy smokes. I've done ribs, bone in rib eye, vortex wings and NY strip. Each are without doubt the best I have done, ever. I thought the 22 kettle was a blast, but the Summit is just in another league. Vortex wings were so crispy my wife challenged me saying I bought them. The NY Strip was so good I made it two days in row. I opted for reverse sear using a 12" lodge cast iron skillet in the GBS. Perfect fit and since you can get the Summit ripping hot, the sear was insane.

I ordered a cover that should be here tomorrow. Still need to modify my SNS to fit.. that has been the only disappointment. Well, that and I wish I could have bought it in Deep Ocean Blue!

The SnapJet gets the coals lit in a fraction of the time it takes two tumbleweeds.

Pork shoulder this weekend. Looking for a good paella recipe.

You're going to love this thing!!

Tonights reverse seared NY Strip...

Attachments

• IMG_1910.JPG
    IMG_1910.JPG
    153.3 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

Baby backs, 1 slab.

Page 16 does state a 30 min burn is recommended, grill to be heated up and the fuel kept red hot.

Back