Thinking of getting a Kamado E6…

I did the recommended seasoning burn even though I washed everything well. I have no way to know who touched the grill and its' accessories and in the times we live in, it's better to be safe than sorry. And, for as clean as I thought I had it I could still smell the lubricants and such burning off.

Refine it, may be a poor choice of words, basically ways to improve it by making small changes. You already mentioned that the "gunk" level is minimal due to not being used much. If you haven't done this yet you may want to test the temp with a different thermometer & I'm not sure if you can calibrate the thermometer on the E6.

I do not own a Kamado style grill, however I know people that have the BGE & they rave about smoking in the 210-240 range.
I have tried different charcoals and different amounts of hot coals at the start, not sure what else I can try.
My thermometer has been calibrated it is running on point.
It also could be where I place the thermometer in the smoker, but it is not at the edge.
It takes a century to cool down so everything adds up to there being air leaks.

The BGE and Kamado Joe are different than this all steel Kamado, in a build perspective.
I can see leaks on the seal at the back where the seal meets up, but this apparently is common, others have said the same.

I'm not worried at all, it can only get better but like I said working the 250 to 270 range is my sweet spot.
I just have to wait a bit till it gets worked in and then I will have some play on the bottom vent......I should use it more to speed it up.

Baby backs today for our first cook. My daughter is my side kick….

Mark -- keep us posted on what you ultimately decide to keep in the quiver.

The logic is that the kamado could replace both the charcoal grill and the charcoal smokers, with the gasser staying. But let's see if that actually happens.
jim

WSM 14 has be claimed. WSM 22 is up for debate still. Performer most likely will go to my daughter. That will leave us with the Genesis II SE-335 and the E6 Summit.

I have tried different charcoals and different amounts of hot coals at the start, not sure what else I can try.
My thermometer has been calibrated it is running on point.
It also could be where I place the thermometer in the smoker, but it is not at the edge.
It takes a century to cool down so everything adds up to there being air leaks.

The BGE and Kamado Joe are different than this all steel Kamado, in a build perspective.
I can see leaks on the seal at the back where the seal meets up, but this apparently is common, others have said the same.

I'm not worried at all, it can only get better but like I said working the 250 to 270 range is my sweet spot.
I just have to wait a bit till it gets worked in and then I will have some play on the bottom vent......I should use it more to speed it up.
see this:

see this:

Yeah I seen this, I have been using the top vent to limit temp increases with the bottom vent closed, which again goes against how I run the kettle with top vent 100% open all the time and use the bottom to adjust the temps.
It does seem a bit odd that mine runs hotter, I also have been using lump in it.
I will adjust for Weber briq's next cook and see.
Maybe if I start with everything mostly closed earlier it will hang lower longer but like he said in his post the temp slowly creeps up. I find it is generally when the heat hits a piece of smoking wood....it can drop down again but everything seems to be different everytime.
I think it is just more practice needed....

The lid is spring loaded obviously.....when I was building mine there were bolts / pins in the lid at the hinge, you should look for holes. I am only guessing but open the lid then close it slowly but stand at the side so you can see the hinge, possibly 2 holes lining up. If so I would think you need to get a bolt in either side and thread a nut on before you remove your lid. I didn't design it but I am thinking this is for the good of your bbq and possibly yourself.
Got the new lid and front leg installed. Lid came without handle, thermometer, and rapid fire vent. Used those from the old one. Weber supplied instruction booklet and all new hardware.

I did clean the inside of the lid prior to installing it. Will do another 30 minute burn-in today.

Darryl
The instructions were quite clear about the spring bolts. Weber supplied 2 sets, one with the leg and the other with the lid. Yes, I did use them. Sure made installing the new lid easy. Oh, and I did not throw them away, just in case.

Need to do some work to my performer. Am considering an Summit E6. This would replace both the 14 & 22s along with the performer.

Thoughts?
My Kamado (Green Egg) was my most used grill for a while. Now.... can't remember the last time that I fired it up. Hope that you are enjoying your E6 to the max!

Got the new lid and front leg installed. Lid came without handle, thermometer, and rapid fire vent. Used those from the old one. Weber supplied instruction booklet and all new hardware.
Did the Rapid Fire Vent go on easily? Is it just the screws on the inside? I've been thinking about flipping mine around so it opens away from me in hopes it will prevent the vent from slamming shut if I forget to close it before opening the dome..

Back