Thinking about getting a performer

Brian A.

Hi -

I currently own a 22" WSM that I probably use once or twice a month. Been thinking about selling it and getting a 21" performer. I feel like the smaller size and ease of use would cause me to cook with charcoal more. My question is if I can still use the performer to cook the occasional pork butt or brisket? Owning both is out of the question since the wife is already ****ed about the amount of space the gasser and the WSM takes up on the patio. Convince me on what I should do.

Keep the WSM and sell the gasser to buy a Performer. I started the same way and got a Performer last week and would sell the Genesis in a heartbeat if space was an issue for me. I could not live without my WSM though. I know people say they smoke on their kettles all the time but I want to keep a dedicated smoker.

Thanks. I should have mentioned that the gasser is a Summit 670. I freaking love that thing and getting rid of it would not be an option. The charcoal would be more for low and slow cooks or ones where I want the smokey flavor from wood/charcoal.

Thanks. I should have mentioned that the gasser is a Summit 670. I freaking love that thing and getting rid of it would not be an option. The charcoal would be more for low and slow cooks or ones where I want the smokey flavor from wood/charcoal.
Going from a 22.5" WSM to a 22.5" Performer is going to increase your grill footprint, not reduce it.
If you want to downsize, cook low-n-slow, seems to me that the best choice would be an 18.5" WSM.

Hi Brian, do you cook for large groups or mainly for your own household?

If you only smoke small amounts of food in one shot (ie, couple pork butts or a few racks of ribs) I would sell the 22.5" and pick up a 14.5" or make a Mini-WSM you can keep in the shed/garage and then get a performer for other grilling that can reside on the patio. Having a dedicated smoker is really nice if you use it enough and it will keep your performer a lot cleaner by using it only for grilling.

I built a mini wsm before the 14.5" came back and its awesome. Perfect size to cook for the family and a few guests yet doesn't take up half the yard. Also uses a lot less fuel than the big boys...

Don't sell the wsm you will regret it.
Just get a 22.5 one touch gold takes up less space.

Brian, you CAN use the performer to do low and slow by using the snake method and other ways mentioned on this site. There is a bit more to controlling the temps though. But like Joe said, the performer is the same diameter as the 22.5 WSM, plus you have a table, so you would be taking up more room.
If you really want to keep a smoker, I would do what Matt said and get a 14.5. I haven't seen anyone on here that is disappointed with theirs.
You also have the option of an 18.5 if the 14.5 isn't quite big enough. Both would take up less room than the 22.5 WSM or the performer.

I've had 3 wheelers and OTS kettles over the years and now performer platinum and have done L&S on them. I also built a mini and have to say there is a difference in the hands on you have to do with the kettles vs. the mini and I would assume the 18.5 & 22.5 also. It's not a big hassle at all on a kettle you just have to keep a closer eye on it. At least my mini is pretty much get it to temp and leave it alone for hours on end.
I would look at an OTS or OTG and a mini for low L&S, but with that said you can't beat the ease of use with the performer.

Back