Things we've learned over the years

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BryantN:
3rd: i would constantly brush my ribs with bbq sauce as soon as they hit the grill. i thought the burnt sugar taste was normal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was my m.o. for chicken and pork chops...
icon_wink.gif

Brad

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brad Olson:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by BryantN:
3rd: i would constantly brush my ribs with bbq sauce as soon as they hit the grill. i thought the burnt sugar taste was normal. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That was my m.o. for chicken and pork chops...
icon_wink.gif

Brad </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Oh, man, how many dry pork chops have I served in my life?

Oh, my father used to make this great bread stuffing, layer it between 2 fat pork chops and cook those suckers for 3 1/2 hrs.

"You have to cook it until the stuffing is done or you'll get a tapeworm."

Ended up with excellent stuffing sandwiched between 2 pieces of horse leather.

Moral is, as mentioned earlier, pork is not meant to finish over 160F.

James

I don't know where to begin to list what I've learned since I found this site. This site proves at least two things:
1) The best info of its kind on the internet.
2) You can teach an old dog new tricks
Don't change the channel, keep it here.

Where do I start?

Smoking properly with an offset is a learned skill, smoking with a wsm is a no brainer. (Dirty smoke is NASTY, and when it comes to smoke, less is more, anyway.)

That "fat in the fire flavor" is over-rated, so you know where I stand with upright drum smokers (whether it's the BDS or my homemade version)..... with the exception of for ribs or chicken.

The aforementioned upright drum smoker is a barbecue rabbit...the wsm is a turtle. There's no way to get around the differences without the use of foil...and like myself when I first started bbqing on an offset, most folks don't cook pork shoulders long enough. If you can slice it, it's not done yet.

Moving right along...I can cook plenty of bbq for my rather large household with my little wsm. I guess that's why Weber took over 25 years before they came out with a larger one.

There's nothing wrong with plain old Kingsford. The difference is in peoples heads, not in the actual result. Lump is much better when basting directly over the coals or looking to get hotter temps, however.

The Weber water pan does not need foil unless I don't use it like originally intended for by the folks paid to design the smoker almost 30 years ago.

Even if I do a "high-temp" chicken cook with a dry foiled no-water pan, it's not near as good as grilled and basted chicken like the fabulous "Roadside Chicken" recipe off this site.

Ribs on the bottom grate are cooked best rolled and skewered. Who cares if the middle of the lower grate is a lower temp than the top grate when lower grate stuff out past the water pan cooks the fastest, regardless?

IOW, I've learned for myself, and found that not everything I read on a forum translated to real life.....some of it did, though, so it wasn't a complete waste of time!...lol...

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Solak:
Thermometer. If you don't have one get one and get a good one. Have over cooked plenty of meals in fear of under cooking till I got a thermometer.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny, I never use my thermometer any more. I always felt my polder/mustang was not calibrated right (silly paranoia). Now I just keep track of basic smoke time and use a fork to test doneness.

I also have learned a lot of the lessons listed above. One thing I did not see above is to keep plastic bags away from the hot grill. On more that one occassion, I have taken a plastic bag from the refrig with whatever I was marinating in it, and while taking the food from the bag, I accidentally let the bag hit the grill. Well the bag melts and the marinade runs into the flames and I get a big flare up.

Should have learned this after one incident but I seem to forget and it happens every few years.

Ray

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Stone:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by John Solak:
Thermometer. If you don't have one get one and get a good one. Have over cooked plenty of meals in fear of under cooking till I got a thermometer.
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Funny, I never use my thermometer any more. I always felt my polder/mustang was not calibrated right (silly paranoia). Now I just keep track of basic smoke time and use a fork to test doneness. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Why not calibrate the therm with another one? I do this anytime I get a new one.

Back