These People are lucky to be alive.

JeffG

TVWBB Emerald Member
The Wedge in Newport Beach last weekend.

The Wedge in Newport Beach the next day , these disoriented tourist/people on a rented watercraft are lucky to be alive.
The Life Guards and The Wedge Crew (Professional bodysurfers that bodysurf the wedge) saved their lives.

We were at the Wedge 2 hours before this video.
https://youtu.be/s5L6xzIsESw

PS. Im glad the outcome was good, I hope these people on the watercraft realize how many people put their live at risk to rescue them,
and since the watercraft was a rental i hope they bought the insurance.

Jeff.

Jeff, I mentioned in the other thread, even though I consider myself a decent waterman, I'd never venture out into the Wedge lineup. That said, seeing it go off in person is a bucket list item. I'm a sponger too, but think the Wedge should remain restricted. Question for you as a local ....is the old guard being replaced by a younger generation of insane bodysurfers?

Jim, I'm not a native, but I had business out that way on a regular basis and it was always just an awesome place to visit. I've only seen kids in the water there, but I wasn't there every day. In Cali, it seems like the old dudes come out early in the morning -- before work. They are gone by the time I've had my first Bloody Mary.

Jeff

Jeff, I mentioned in the other thread, even though I consider myself a decent waterman, I'd never venture out into the Wedge lineup. That said, seeing it go off in person is a bucket list item. I'm a sponger too, but think the Wedge should remain restricted. Question for you as a local ....is the old guard being replaced by a younger generation of insane bodysurfers?

Jim

I took this picture of the Wedge last summer, the guy on a long board was ripping it up the whole time we were there.
The older Wedge Crew are still there, but spongers, surfers and even Paddle Boarders are pushing the limits of the wave.

Wedge%20bomber%20longboard_zpsw3cepe0a.jpg

Last edited:

Back