ThermoWorks Smoke Probe Fail

So I bought a ThermoWorks Smoke. I used it one time and it did great as it gave consistent readings throughout. After the cook (12 hours), I gently removed it and then later cleaned it with a damp cloth. Today, I was all ready to cook again, but now the meat probe has a room temperature reading of 120. I contacted customer service and they were friendly and replaced it for me. I’m only worried about how to avoid this going forward. I cooked no higher than 275 and the wire wasn’t resting on the grate. It was also inserted through the grommet and I was cooking on the top grate of a WSM 18. How should I position it as to not do this again? Also, is there any way to reset the probe?

It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong. They're really quite durable. Maybe just a bad probe? What did ThermoWorks say about it?

I've had one go out in my oven and I suspect it was because I didn't preheat the oven first and maybe caught some direct heat somewhere. Maybe you just got a bad one. Most of mine have been used over and over and over again.

Well, I ended up fixing this probe. I think what happened was some moisture got in the cable. I read online and tried a trick someone recommended. I set my oven to 350 degreee and fed the wire half way in and carefully shut the oven door. I let it stay in the oven for 45 minutes and I guess this dried it out. It is working perfectly now. Maybe this is only a temporary fix, but it is working now.

It doesn't sound like you did anything wrong. They're really quite durable. Maybe just a bad probe? What did ThermoWorks say about it?
ThermoWorks said that they didn’t think I did anything wrong. They said it could be defective. The customer service was top notch and they have crazy fast shipping. They sent me a new probe and I commented below that I fixed the other one. Do you think I should still use the original or just use the new one? BTW- I tried your meatloaf method on the site and it was awesome!

I'd try the original one on some simple tasks and if it proves reliable and accurate I'd continue using it and hold the new one in reserve for future use.

Thanks for letting me know about the meatloaf. Maybe too simple for some, but I like it when smoked.

Back