ThermoPro sale!

Dang, that is getting down near the TPH19 range in pricing. If you grill and don't have an instant read, you really need to figure out a way to get the wife to approve this one.
If I hadn't bought a 19H last fall for $14 I'd be SERIOUSLY thinking about paying the 2X for the Lightning...... There is no way that it (any) 1 sec probe is worth 3-4-5X --- but 2X makes you think.... Something I realized the other day ---- WHY have the 00.X degree reading...?...? Its COOKING ---- why have meaningless insignificant digits? A tenth of a degree is meaningless.

I should add that there is another on the market claiming 1/2 second response time that Just hit my radar --- and its got an OLED screen too!!!!!

I'm sure that is worth 5X over the 19H.......

I should add that there is another on the market claiming 1/2 second response time that Just hit my radar --- and its got an OLED screen too!!!!!

I'm sure that is worth 5X over the 19H.......
It's also $120 vs $25. I'll buy 4 $25 ones

Very classy looking! I notice they are oblique about where these are made. Looks like a thermometer my millennial son would want - like something made by Apple.

I find that price hard to believe. If they were junk and had a bad reputation, I could see it, but they generally get very good reviews. I certainly like mine.

It has to be so hard for Thermoworks with their made in UK vs. imported from China labor and manufacturing costs. That is one reason I commented about the ultra-high end Typhur posted above. I may have overlooked it, but it seems they don't mention where it is made, so that seems to make it highly likely they are from China. If that is so, they are hoping their style - and alleged hypersonic speed - will allow them to extract a maximum profit whereas ThermoPro apparently gets hungry enough (maybe when inventory spikes) to sell at a low margin.

I would bet they were trying to blow out all their 19H and 03H first last fall before they dropped the price on the Lightning..... It seems harder to find them on their own site now.

I have to say I am genuinely impressed with my 19H --- very well constructed - especially in the $15-20 range. I am more impressed with it over my TP08 - it seems to be on the cheesier side and not very solid feeling...... I with they were built more like the 19H.

(copied over from another forum posting....)
I was playing around with my 19H last night just for the hell of it..... filled an insulated glass with ice and water and also boiled a pot of water just to see how long it took to read and how close the reading was..... it was kinda interesting ---- from roomtemp into either it did take a solid 3-4 seconds - but when I pulled it out and reinserted the reading was much quicker - 1-2 seconds --- I figured thats just the probe getting heat soaked (time constant for the probe body - call it 'a cold shot'). It read 33.5 for the ice water at first - but after a short soak and several dips it would read 32.5 --- kinda surprised at that, but not overly worried. Boiling water it would only read 210.5 --- again, a little surprising.... but that was tap water and some residual pasta starch from the night before --- I don't know how sensitive the boiling point is to dissolved mineral/stuff.... The instructions say for recalibration you need to "make ice cubes from distilled water and use distilled water - not tap" so I'm thinking that boiling would be sensitive too. Again, I'm not going to sweat it.

I pretty much concluded that 1/2-1-2 degree accuracy really doesn't matter that much --- its cooking, not rocket science - ball parking is good enuff over guessing. Whats more annoying is realizing that the temp in a meatloaf or a turkey is nowhere near uniform - everytime you stick it you get a different reading - so you have to mentally 'average' doneness anyways and 3-5 degrees isn't going to make any difference one way or the other. What I was finding more annoying is why do they all have readings to 0.X degrees???? Its a totally insignificant number for cooking and its just distracting watching it jump all around --- it should just round up or down to the nearest degree..... My TP08 reads to 0.X on the transmitter/base but rounds down on the receiver unit --- make sense with a 10+ second update rate.

Last edited:

Back