ThermoPro Lightning Instant Read on sale

I notice that both Thermoworks and ThermoPro are having a lot of sales. I don't know if that is any indication about the economy, but I think even ThermoPro would like to get more out of their flagship instant read than $33.58.

I love my Lightning and probably use it more than the Thermapen One that I also have (and like very much as well). I agree with @Bruce that this a great chance to get a really good instant read if you don't have one - or if yours is on the way out. An instant read is a must for bbq and grilling, both for food safety and consistent results.

Gotta say I love every one of my ThermoPro thermometers. Except the multi-probe grilling one and the "cordless" or remote ones I bought. Neither of them functioned as I had hoped, being extremely hard to use and in the case of the remote product, very sketchy performance. I will say the ThermoWorks smoke is a different story. Quite well made, performs well with solid and accurate performance. My only gripes with it? Again difficult to program, the alarms are not intuitive, and very difficult to operate overall with buttons buried on the back of the main unit. Otherwise stellar performance, range and accuracy

Larry, did you buy the ThermoPro Tempspike? I love mine and it works great. As well or better than my Smoke.

Larry, did you buy the ThermoPro Tempspike? I love mine and it works great. As well or better than my Smoke.
No, never did. I want to hold out for an item that is not Bluetooth only. Plus I was able to find a new controller for my MM pellet grill that has built in Bluetooth and WIFI, which would give me both pellet grills being able to operate remotely

Just a heads-up PSA:
I purchased a Thermopen TP-19H thermometer in January 2023 (great sale price on Amazon, from advice from TVWBB users). It was going to be a backup when we cooked at in-laws'. I put it in a drawer, and didn't even take it out of the box until a few weeks ago. Turns out the battery supplied with the unit (thankfully not installed in the unit) had leaked out of its bag in the packaging and onto the back of the unit. I tossed the battery (no-name "NHEP" brand) and cleaned up the unit. The leakage ate away at some of the nameplate label on the back of the unit.
New battery and it works fine.
I would suggest not even using the supplied battery, or at least check it often. 20240105_085158.jpg20231227_185022.jpg20240105_090227.jpg

Yah, I wish they would spring for another 25 cents and put in a quality battery. That is probably why they(most electronics manufacturers) normally don't even supply a battery.
That is a very good thermometer, but it is not truly an instant read. It takes few seconds for it to get up to temp when using it.

Sorry to say I'm done with Thermoworks. Bought a total of four Big and Loud timers four or so years ago and only one still works. I've got kitchen timers that cost way less than those and are over thirty years old and still work fine. Two of my thermopops the back round light has quite working. The smoke still works fine but it eats probes. Which is odd as it doesn't get used an awful lot. Uses probes up much faster than my Maverick, which still works fine also, ever did.

I had a problem with the BigLoud timer too, replaced very quickly and this one seems to be fine. Sorry you’ve had a tough time with them Rich. I had a Maverick three timer unit for several years, worked great Right up until it fell into the sink! Ordered replacements three times, all three were pure junk! Lousy support from Maverick to boot.
Fiddlesticks! I really liked the first one!

I try to replace the batteries on all my electronics that use AA or AAA batteries with lithium ones. It is just too easy to forget about batteries left in this stuff!

That ThermoPro TP-19H is possibly the best deal out there. Like Bruce says it is not quite as fast as the Lightning or Thermapen One, but it is certainly adequate for most of any of us backyard cookers. Add a pretty rugged build and easy to read display - that's a lot for less than twenty bucks! I believe they even have a black version for a few more dollars if you don't like the high visibility orange.

Yeah - I snagged my TP-19H for $15 --- couldn't say NO at that price..... I was torn between the 19H and the 03H --- it seemed like the only difference was the 'motion activation' feature that cost $3 more.... I initially ordered the 03H, but changed it to the 19H since the difference was minimal...... But I'm thinking I would have been happier with the 03H and just turning it on/off manually ---- its strange to set the probe down and NOT be able to turn it off - without closing the probe..... and it turning on every time you bump it unintentionally. Not that big of a deal - I'm still really happy with the 19H and don't see any reason to spend more on a probe.

Last edited:

Back