Thermometers

Brandon B.

TVWBB Member
OK, I want a remote thermometer and money is an option. What would you recommend? Seems the Maverick is popular but has some problems. What about some others?

if you want one that has multiple probes so you can monitor smoker and meat temp simultaneously (highly recommended), you basically have two choices:

1) Maverick
2) Nu-Temp

I have the Maverick. You can get it for about $40 on gadgetsource.com. I've never had a problem with mine. Other folks like theirs, but they aren't getting the range they had hoped.

The Nu-Temp is about $70, but is expandable to up to 3 probes. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe it only comes with one to start with. The others can be bought for $10. To expand to three probes, you need to buy another probe and sensor, which will be another $30.

I think the general feeling is that Nu-Temps are probably a higher-end product (though some folks have range issues with them as well), but you pay about twice as much (or more) to get up to three probes.

So, if you are cost conscious, then Maverick is the way to go. Hard to beat - on price and function, in my opinion.

Thanks Adam. Can you tell me what the differences are between the ET72 and ET73 models? Is the 73 just a newer model? Any advancements?

Also, are you saying the Maverick comes with two probes? Or are you just saying it's capable of measuring two temps and I'll need to purchase another probe?

Thanks, as you can probably tell, I'm a newbie!

I have both the 73 and the Nu. The 73 comes with a food probe and a smoker probe. I have range issues with mine but I like it better than the Nu.

The ET-72 is a wireless remote with a single probe. The ET-7 is the same with two meat probes. The ET-73, as stated, has one meat and one smoker probe with hi-lo alarm.

I'm surprised no one has chimmed in from the Nu-Temp camp.

I don't have either but I'm leaning towards the Nu-Temp.

Here's more information on a discount-Nu-Temp promotion

I don't know about tax but 2 remotes w/shipping $63.

Nu-Temp camp chiming in sir, as requested. I've had mine for about 8 months and love it. I have three sensors and can monitor pit, meat and grate temps, or any combination, all at once.

The range on mine has been "as advertised", I can monitor my WSM from it's location on the patio, anywhere from inside my home, out to the driveway in front of my garage.

No regrets with purchase at all.

Brandon,

Greetings fellow ATL dude! (it's "Opening Day" in case you didn't know...)

I'm new to this but was very pleased with the Nu-Temps. Range was very good and they worked exactly as advertised. The promotion was the clincher for me!

I've got both and it bepends what I'm doing and how I'm feeling as to which I reach for.
Although, it is for the maverick more often than the Nu-Temp.

I have the Maverick. It works great when I have the instructions handy to figure it out every time I change the temp settings. Don't lose the instructions, especially if you're like me and suffer from a bad and terminal case of CRS.
icon_eek.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brandon B.:
OK, I want a remote thermometer and money is an option. What would you recommend? Seems the Maverick is popular but has some problems. What about some others? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If money is an option, I would go with the Maverick. My bedroom window is right next to my deck which is right where I do my overnight cooks so range is not an issue for me. Note, I've not read that the Maverick has any problems except range so generally it is a good unit. Also, there is a thread somewhere on this site where you could get the name of a person to contact (Daren?).

If money and compactness is no issue, I would get the nu-temp. (Compactness = It takes two more sending units to get the functionality of the Maverick ET-73.) There's a picture on the mods board.

Thanks Jerry. Are you saying that Darren (?) may be able to get me a deal on the Maverick? I'm not following what the contact was for.

I thinkthe Maverick is probably more my speed at this point.

Hey Tom - fellow ATL-an.

darren is the contact at maverick if you're having trouble with your thermometer.

i recently purchased a maverick et-73 and used it for the first time this weekend. i had no problems with it but didn't really push the distances. i was inside my house and one floor up from the smoker and got regular updates.

Yeah, Darren is the person at Maverick that knows about the distance issue. My thought in contacting him would be that he could test the unit before sending it to you.

Back