Thermo plastic table restore

BobW

TVWBB Fan
Picked a Silver B this week and the tables have what looks like grease stains. I’ve tried degreaser and steel wool. Some barkeepers friend as well. Not doing the trick. This is the first one I’ve done with these tables. Any tips on getting these clean? I’m also having trouble getting the control panel clean. Looks like it’s faded a bit. Even though it’s porcelain I can’t get seem to get it clean with degreaser and steel wool. Even tried some rubbing compound. Still seems faded. This is only my fifth restore on these and this one’s got me stumped. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

Bob,

The Thermoset tables may need the sanding option. You sand down a layer to reveal unfaded/unmessed up plastic. Usually this is done due to faded, chalky looking plastic. In your case, it might be the only way to get to clean layer.

Here is a link to the Weber Kettle Club where this process is discussed:

http://weberkettleclub.com/blog/2017/02/20/weber-performer-table-restoration/

If your porcelain (hood or control panel) is truly faded rather than just dirty, there is no amount of scrubbing, compounding, etc. that will bring it back. You will either have to live with it or find a donor grill with better parts.

Thanks Jon. Luckily I have an extra control panel from a 1000 that I think is the same. I’ll give sanding a try. Thanks again for the tip.

First, I would try straight bleach with some dawn mixed in and #0000 steel wool pad or scotchbrite scrubby pad. That gets the stains off for me 97% of the time. Then, when done, if it dries to a dull finish, hit is with some 303 Aerospace protectant or other automotive vinyl cleaner protectant. Some even say vegetable oil works.

I have not tried "sanding" the tables yet, but will as a last resort. I had one with a gouge in it a couple weeks ago and tossed it, but thinking back, I may have been able to salvage it by sanding the gouge out.

Hello All ...

I'm new to this forum so I've been reading & researching for a few weeks now and learning plenty!! Because of all the GREAT information out here I've decided to take on the challenge of restoring my Silver B this summer. I found a donor grill but it was NG so that gave me pause until I researched here more and determined that making the swap is both straightforward & simple. My thanks to all of you!!

I've do still have a question related to the thermoset tables that I've yet to find the answer to so I'm hoping someone might point me in the right direction.

How do you remove the thermoset end pieces and swing-up tables?? I'm working on restoring my original LP Silver B by leveraging parts from a 2nd NG Silver B "Premium". The 2nd "donor" grill has both left & right side tables (both with damage) and my original only has the left side only. I intend to use the frame & fire box from the donor grill and would like to keep the 2 tables if possible but can't fathom how to get the end caps off so I can replace the swing tables :-(

Speaking of swing tables, the right one has a broken corner yet both pieces are still there; is there a product out there that could possibly be used to glue them back together? Better yet, any possibility someone has a right swing table available??

My thanks in advance.

To get the swing tables off, you will need to remove the gray end caps (handles on each side of the grill. They may be held in by screws or simply a little catch on the underside of the metal frame which must be pushed in before trying to remove them. You might find they don't come out very easy due to rust in the frame. You should try spraying with a good penatrating oil like PB blaster a few times over a period of time to loosen them up if they are stuck. Be carefull trying to pry or pound them out. They are not super strong.

I would try a good Epoxy to glue the thermoset table, but better yet, find another donor grill.

Thanks!! I was just thinking about trying that ... oddly enough the side with the tab is moving it's the opposite side that's "stuck" on both grills no less. Don't have any PB Blaster (yet) so for today I'll just start with a dose of WD40 & see what that does if anything. Can't hurt I suppose. Better than trying to force it loose.

Yah, WD40 will work. Maybe not quite as good as PB blaster or similar, but still in the same ball park. Good luck.

Back