Thermapen

Curt

TVWBB Fan
I just ordered a Thermapen because I have multiple uses for it (the key to getting SWMBO to signing off on the purchase).
My question is, would you consider it a viable replacement for a wired probe?

I wouldnt. I use it mainly for grilling, so I know when to pull the food based on temp. Wired I still need for when I am doing a low and slow.

No. The Thermapen is perfect for checking individual pieces like steak or chicken pieces and spot checking different areas on big thinks like whole chickens and roasts.It also is a great weather thermometer too, lol.

Curt,I use it in addition to my ET73. Also, makes a nice probe to tell you the tenderness of the meat your cooking

Not many professional cook teams will be without a Thermapen...or something similar. But like other posts say, you may want to have a wired probe in the meat at all times for "in the ballpark" constant readings. Then when you think you need to uncover the WSM, probe with the pen as you get close to pull temps. If you are pulling the lid on and off to check with a pen, you lose too much heat. The old saying, if you are looking you ain't cookin. The wired probe keeps you honest.

I use my Thermapen to take occasional spotchecks of the ambient temp of my WSM: just drop the probe in and hold it until it stops rising.

I just ordered a red one yesterday. I'm sick of the elcheapo's that I currently have. The big sell for me is the 3 second temperature reading. I grill my comp chicken and I want to check the temp in several pieces and get the lid back down as fast as possible. The ones I have now take far too long and my fire flares up before I can get the lid closed again.

Russ

Thanks to all.
It will be handy to have, but now that I've installed the grommet, I'll continue using the probe as well.

Back