There's no turning back now...

Now we're talking. A one owner carfax special of your grill makes it all the more worth it to keep it going. I'm slowly trying to convince myself that most things that were somewhat well built to begin with are infinitely fixable. The x000s are it. I used mine all summer, even today and couldn't imagine anything ever replacing it. When the bottom tray goes, i'll find a sheet metal guy. When the rocker switch bracket goes, maybe time to get a 3d printer. Even Dave in KC redid the porcelain lid. Short of the castings, we should be set for life.

A few options as I was told, and I went through the same anxiety myself. But in progressive order, you have to do the following.

1. If you already have a grill you like, keep using that.
2. If you don't want to use your restored grill, you have to sell it.
3. If you don't want to use it or sell it, you have to put it in your living room as a show piece.
Well, I have three Weber kettles in my home office. 2 are unused Smoky Joes - a classic black with wood Weber handle and an ivory I bought in Germany before you could get them here. My third is a restored "49er" - a black 18" kettle from 1974 "Bar--B-Que Kettle" with the old style wheels, 3 bottom vents, and its original twist-on ash pan. My wife probably thinks it is crazy, but in my office she lets me get by with it. I have also started using space in my office to cure dry paint on parts and assemble gas grills in a clean, dry environment.

IMG_4761.jpg

I've been grilling on the same Weber Gen 1000 now a 2000 for 23 years and it's still looks like new and performs the same.
I have no doubt of that. Mine still works as good as the day I first put it together. In fact, I still had the original igniter on it. After 20 years of sitting outside in Chicago weather it didn't look so good anymore. If I didn't still use it in the winter I probably would have moved it into a shed until spring every year.

Well, I have three Weber kettles in my home office. 2 are unused Smoky Joes - a classic black with wood Weber handle and an ivory I bought in Germany before you could get them here. My third is a restored "49er" - a black 18" kettle from 1974 "Bar--B-Que Kettle" with the old style wheels, 3 bottom vents, and its original twist-on ash pan. My wife probably thinks it is crazy, but in my office she lets me get by with it. I have also started using space in my office to cure dry paint on parts and assemble gas grills in a clean, dry environment.

View attachment 38767
We had a grill just like that growing up, I learned to cook on it. It looks brand new, did you have the porcelain redone?

We had a grill just like that growing up, I learned to cook on it. It looks brand new, did you have the porcelain redone?
No. I got that grill for $10. :coolkettle: While I try to shine it from time to time with Pam, truthfully, that picture is deceiving. It isn't actually as black as it appears. But still, it did come out looking a lot nicer than when I got it.

IMG_4751.jpg

IMG_4755.jpg

Inside unrestored.jpg

Full View of 18 Inch Kettle.jpg

Back