There is something fishy goin' on around here...

Brian Dahl

TVWBB Gold Member
Hi gang! Cousin Tony rapped my knuckles about posting on IG and not here, and of course - he's right! Gotta stick with my roots.

First up is a cook inspired by the NYT's Essential Grilling cookbook. We like fish, but I don't like having fish fall apart in the grill. And I'm not a super gadget guy: I don't have one of those fish flippin' grids. In the cookbook was a recipe that used grape leaves as a wrap, to hold a more delicate fish together on the grill. I have grape leaves. My take on this, using Rockfish. The filets were placed on a bed of onion, garlic, basil, rosemary and sage

and rapped: my fish has a skin, it's a green skin, No - it ain't a Martian, you fool! Don't worry JZ, you're safe!

on Red Jenny along with some local corn

and served

This worked quite well, other than you loose the grill marks. And, the fish didn't pick up any flavor from the leaves.

A couple of weeks ago, we went camping at the beach: Tillicum CG. On the way there we stopped and pick up another beautiful piece of King Salmon and a couple of oysters (you'll see why only two, shortly!) I didn't want to fry or bake this nice piece of fish - I'm at the ocean - I'll try steaming it over seaweed. Started out making veggie packets for the coals

seaweed's on

The fish and oysters are next. I'm not a fan of big oysters and these were pretty good sized. I dealt with it

and done. No seasoning needed for the fish, I just wanted to taste that salmon goodness! For the oysters: a lemon, butter, white wine & dill sauce

the knife was for slicing the oyster! That's all I have for now, have a great week. Thanks for stoppin' by and I'll see you around the fire.

Hey neighbor....I don't have IG but I do like to see your grill skills they inspire me. Beautiful post and great skills.

Hey Brian... What a great post. Everything looks spectacular. I really liked that fish wrapped in the grape leaves. What a cool idea. Beautiful job.

Sir....Thank you!

That post was beautiful. Great fresh food. Great pics. Various techniques, and flavors. I'm inspired....and hungry.

Very cool preparation with the grape leaves. The king salmon looks super fresh, I bet it was really tasty eating it nice and rare.

There's something happening here
What it is ain't exactly clear
There's a man with a grill over there
Cooking fish and offering a beer..

sorry Brian, thought you might like some corn with that fine looking cook!

Back