The WSM Weber Won't Build

Hi,

sorry for the late response but such a topic isn't really easy with my english skills^^

Here is the summary that I've written to Ian form ProBBQ:
The Frontier worked nearly perfect and I'm really happy with it.

And here my summary:

1)Assembling
No problem even if the screws seem to get smaller by and by.
The instruction manual is ok, but I wish the exact screw size would be specified on each step. The both other faults you know - and needless to say that I've forgotten the 6 large washers.

2)First impression
It stands very good and makes a solid impression.
Sure, the material impression isn't the one known by Weber or Outdoorchef but it feels more than good enough. Especially the handles and the small screws disturb the overall impression. Very nice is the firm lock of grills on each level.
But all things considered I think it's the money worth.

3)Function
Absolutely great!
It holds the temperature between 100° and 120° C nearly without doing anything. Also it's very economical; I did my 18h pulled pork session with ~6kg briquettes and had enough remaining to grill some steaks.
Only the lonely bottom vent is a point of criticism cause the coals burn one sided even if it doesn't disturb while long sessions.
Because of the nice stacking system you can easy new arrange the coals or add woodchips. The losing of heat while the arrangement is minimal and you are back to target temperature in <2 minutes. I needed to refill the waterpan only one time, also without problems trough the door.
In my opinion it's a great water smoker.

Unfortunately I couldn't test the grill-functionality but I suppose that it could substitute a Weber Smokey Joe or perhaps the Son of Hibachi.

4)Wishes for a "next" version
-Second bottom vent
-Stronger handles and screws
-Greater diameter

I hope this summary is enough but unfortunately I'm not able to express all my thoughts about the Frontier. If you got further questions to any point please ask me.

Additional I must add some informations about the german water smoker situation:

A WSM costs about 370€ ~ 496$ and the Frontier 230€ ~ 308$.
Other brands like Brinkmann or Meco are hardly to get and not much cheaper.

If you follow this the Frontier is a great deal, cause I can't see any deficit in function.
Rather there are additional benefits that make it better than the WSM (expandability, functionality) even if not exactly the same quality is reached.

So, I think that's enough for the moment^^
Please ask cause this is much easier for me than continuous text.

Regards

Bastian

Thanks, Bastian! I appreciate the effort in providing us with a review in English. I'm taking all your points into consideration as i ponder whether to go WSM or Pro Q.

Brad

Originally posted by Bill M:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Matt D:
A BBQ store in Maryland has one for $180...
Check it out..

Not any longer. They sold the display model last week. :) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does that smile mean that you got it?
icon_biggrin.gif

Originally posted by Erik H.:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Dino Harris:
I have a couple of problems, its made in the UK and their corporate offices are there as well.

Not that this will have any effect on your decision, but the units are actually made in China. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

are we absolutely certain about where they are made? if that's the case, they should be selling for cheaper in comparison to the Weber.

Did you guys see the new ProQ Excel?

Look at the Pro-Q Excel 20.

Here's the feature list.
* 20" diameter
* lid thermometer
* hanging rack
* 4 air vents (1 top, 3 base vents)
* side handles per section
* 2.6 gallon water bin
* latches together
* preinstalled eyelets for temp probes
* large capacity charcoal basket
* heavier gauge steel than Frontier

It's like my dream WSM.

We've been talking about that for about 6 months in various posts. I think that Excel 20 will be a serious challenge, more so than the "regular" Pro Q 18". It is of higher quality, has better hardware and has a baked enamel finish, heavier gauge, etc.

I'll have a chance to look at one when I pick up my WSM Stacker hopefully this week or next at Fred's BBQ. And hey - just realized today that my Performer has a 5/10 year warranty. I don't think Pro Q can match that just yet (or at least not without a wait in the US).

But - if you need parts or service, you can't beat Weber. Parts are stocked in the US and not dependent on overseas shipment and customs delays, etc.

I've waited and wished long enough for weber to step up. The new 22 wsm looks great but who knows when they will be available. If I can I'll order an excel today. It's pretty neat that the proq's keep evolving in such a short period of time. It was a hard decision as I love my wsm, acually own 4 weber charcoals but will try something new.

Back