The WSM Weber Won't Build

Anyone have any more info on these pro Q smokers? I remain pretty intrigued. Apparently they moved the bottom vent up to avoid it dumping ash, and moved the lid thermometer up to where most wsm owners seem to mount it... With all the sections latching together, a door and handles on each seperate section, the ability to add as many sections as you want, and a lid thermometer, I'm starting to wonder if I shouldn't hold off on my imminent WSM purchase and at least check these out (blasphemy, I know)...

At current exchange rates the prices for the Pro Q are; Buckaroo - $ 296.88 and Frontier - $ 336.46. That doesn't include shipping. $ 199 for a WSM doesn't seem so bad.

Originally posted by Rusty Barton:
At current exchange rates the prices for the Pro Q are; Buckaroo - $ 296.88 and Frontier - $ 336.46. That doesn't include shipping. $ 199 for a WSM doesn't seem so bad.
The brains behind the Pro Q (Ian Mack) has stated elsewhere that his product will be priced competitive with the WSM in the U.S. Things just cost more in the E.U. and U.K.

Jim

I guess what I'm most interested is first-hand information about the performance and quality of these as compared with the WSM. I'd ask Ian, but he's not exactly unbiased... Secondly, I'd love to know when, and through whom, they might become available in the northeast (I live outside of Boston).

thanks!

Originally posted by Doug D:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frank Mastrogiovanni:
If you already own a WSM, why buy another smoker when you can just order another center ring? Don't they fit?
Not exactly. See bottom of this page. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

For anyone who has tried to stack the middle sections, can you tell me the temperature differences from the top grates of each?

Originally posted by Brad W.:
I guess what I'm most interested is first-hand information about the performance and quality of these as compared with the WSM. I'd ask Ian, but he's not exactly unbiased... Secondly, I'd love to know when, and through whom, they might become available in the northeast (I live outside of Boston).

thanks!

Brad,

I recommend you talk to Bob at BBQ Guru. I talked to Bob at the BBQ on the Farm competition last month and he told me he cooked a bunch of ribs on one at the BBQ Expo in Lancaster in April and said it did a good job. Also, BBQ Guru is supposed to be distributing these things in the US (FYI, they are located near Philly). They may also be attending some competitions up near you.

I know a distributor of the product hardly qualifies as unbiased, but anyone that has dealt with BBQ Guru can tell you these guys are class acts and aren't going to lie just to make a sale.

Erik,

Thanks for the sound advice. I will connect with Bob and see if he can tell me a little more about them.

I like the idea of getting a third "stacker" and hanging ribs, perhaps with no pan a la a BDS...

Brad

I've talked to the man at ProBBQ and he said that the metal thickness (don't know how to put it in english) they use is .8 mm, while Weber uses .9

I don't know if that makes a difference.

I have a couple of problems, its made in the UK and their corporate offices are there as well. I'll keep my Webers and be happy, I like tinkering and doing whatever mods strike my fancy. Will their customer service department equal that of Webers? Or how about their parts distribution network? In this day and age its hard to buy all American, but I'm gonna give it a good shot, might keep some of us on the job.

Hello,

that's my first post here and I hope it's correct.
My name ist Bastian and I'm living in Germany - so please excuse my linguistic mistakes.

Today I received my ProQ Frontier and at this moment he is performing his first temperaturetest.
(Still 100°C after 4,5 hours with 2,5kg hot briquettes - no minion method)

I'm writting a detailed review for our "german" forum and will also try to write an english review.

Is it allowed to link to this forum and my german review?
The first pictures are already online.

regards
bastian

Originally posted by Dino Harris:
I have a couple of problems, its made in the UK and their corporate offices are there as well.

Not that this will have any effect on your decision, but the units are actually made in China.

Bastian, Willkommen zu unserer Gruppe!
Wir sind also glücklich, dich uns verbinden zu lassen.

You might enjoy some posts from DON MARCO, who is also in Germany, and his participation in the BERLIN BBQ COMPETITIONS.

I think it would be OK to post the link to your review. I'm sure that Chris Allingham, creator of this website, would contact you if there are any questions.

I will have some questions for you soon about some German foods (both my parents were from Germany).

Rita

Hello Rita,

thanks for the greetings.
Don Marco is well known - we come from the same forum^^
Btw, in the meantime DM an his team won the german barbecue championchip.

Here you find the first pictures and the temperature test:
http://mybbq.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=4010

This night I started a pulled pork and let it completly alone for 7 hours.
After that the frontier still got a temperature about 91°C (195°F)

Please ask if you got questions until the english review is finished.

bastian

Hi Bastian, I try to visit your forum once in a while (all I can do is look at the pictures though) I don't post much. I know DM and Caruso (and maybe others) from another forum too.

The 2 doors, is one to add charcoal, and one to add water?

I would be interested to know how many hours you would get using the Minion method.

I also like the fact that it comes qith a temp gauge pre drilled.

Hi,

The 2 doors, is one to add charcoal, and one to add water?
Yes, I have added two "in action" pics
I would be interested to know how many hours you would get using the Minion method.
This night I reached 7 hours but it wasn't a real minion method* and I think it could get problems cause there is only one vent at the bottom. The coals burn very one sided.
But for the first 7 hours today it performed excellent.

The handling is also very good.
You can separate the sections without problems, also with full waterpan.
And after each lid lifting it needs <3 minutes to get the heat back.
So you can add woodchips or arrange the coals very comfortable.

Regards
Bastian

*I put one layer cold coals and a small bunch near the vent. Then I added a full weber chimney starter with the most coals on the vent opposide.

Back