The WSM Weber Won't Build

Another vote for the 22-1/2" WSM and for the parts to be interchangeable with the kettle. That would be great.

You want a 22.5" WSM? I can't wait, but until then...
100_1401.jpg

Originally posted by Brian Moriarty:
Jeff- I love the Magnum design and I'm hooked on the drum smokers right now, and I'm wondering if you ever use yours without the water pan?

I've been thinking the same thing, I've cooked with the BDS and have a similarly designed deal I built myself. My only gripe is the plugs used for temperature control, you can lose them, step on them, I've been using ball valves on mine and it works great. The Magnum design has an other plus I was thinking and that is it would be much easier to clean. Hope someone tries cooking sans heat barrier on theri Magnum and posts results.

Originally posted by James Stewart:
... Hope someone tries cooking sans heat barrier on their Magnum and posts results.
James - I took your name in vain (
icon_wink.gif
) in this thread about cooking without a water pan. If I can dig my WSM out from the snow drift today, I will be cooking ribs without a pan to get that vaporized fat flavor. I'll post results when I'm done.

Jim

Originally posted by James Stewart:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brian Moriarty:
Jeff- I love the Magnum design and I'm hooked on the drum smokers right now, and I'm wondering if you ever use yours without the water pan?

I've been thinking the same thing, I've cooked with the BDS and have a similarly designed deal I built myself. My only gripe is the plugs used for temperature control, you can lose them, step on them, I've been using ball valves on mine and it works great. The Magnum design has an other plus I was thinking and that is it would be much easier to clean. Hope someone tries cooking sans heat barrier on theri Magnum and posts results. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Here is an early drum design I did using Weber daisy wheel vents for the intake and an 18.5" Bar-B-Kettle for the fire basket.

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/100_1354.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/100_1390.jpg

http://i163.photobucket.com/albums/t310/swamprb/100_1389.jpg

Note from Moderator: Replaced multiple large inline images with links. Please see Posting Photos link on homepage for guidelines.

I came across the ProQ in another forum, and having lurked around here on occasion I decided to search here for any information. I currently have a Weber 22½" kettle and a Brinkman Dual Zone Professional. I'm able to do decent ribs on the BDZ, and BCC on both, but I'm not able to get any real long cooks done. So, I planned on getting a WSM this spring/early summer, but I ran across the ProQ and became quite intrigued. Anyways, thought you all would like to know that the ProQ people will have a booth at the Mid-Atlantic BBQ Association Expo in Lancaster, PA this April 18-21. Hopefully there will be a vendor with a WSM there too so I can really compare the two. I don't know anyone with a WSM, so I really wouldn't know what I'm looking for when comparison shopping. Also, the reported cost at the show will be around $150 because they don't want to have to pay to ship them back (according to the posts on the other site).

Mid-Atlantic BBQ Assoc. Expo

Originally posted by Matt Jones:
Matt - About as close as you can get without seeing one in person.

http://virtualweberbullet.com/tour.html

I'm sure there will be one or two at the show to compare to the ProQ.

If they do sell those things for $150, it's going to be hard to leave without one.
Thanks for that link, Matt. You're right, at $150 it will be tough to walk away without one, but on the other hand, Amazon has the WSM for only $204.99 (but add shipping), and I expect at the show I may be able to get a slightly better price. It's a tough call. Do I want to be the guinea pig and try the new product, or stick with the tried and true? It does seem that many WSM owners are genuinely interested in the ProQ as far as it's design goes. We'll see...it's only 6 weeks away, I can wait.

I'll be up there too, not sure how many local members will be there though, the Maryland state BBQ championship is the same weekend unfortunately.

I was at the Mid Atlantic BBQ Association Expo this weekend and got to see these. Here are my initial thoughts:

1. I was told the cost will be approximately $180 for the Frontier model, which includes two cooking sections, the fish hanger, and everything you need for smoking or using it as a kettle. Additional cooking sections are $35.

2. The unit comes with a large water pan similar to the Brinkman pan.

3. The units are slightly smaller than the WSM in diameter.

4. The top and bottom bowls are porcelain coated. The middle sections are powder coated.

5. There are some nice, well thought out modifications to the traditional WSM design. The ability to clip and unclip sections is wonderful. I love the individual trap doors for the sections.

6. I was told by one of the gentlemen there from the UK that he has observed an approximately 10 degree temp difference between the top and bottom grates in a 4 grate setup. I forgot to ask if that was degrees F or C.

7. The BBQ Guru will probably be distributing these in the US in the next couple of months.

I really only saw two negatives -- one, I was hoping for a cooker larger in diameter than the WSM, not smaller. Second, the metal seemed to me to be of thinner gauge than the WSM metal. This observation may be incorrect so please don't quote me on it, though; I didn't get the calipers out. :) But it did seem noticeably lighter. Ultimately, though, I do believe this will be a solid alternative to the WSM. Maybe not the WSM "killer" incorporating all of the mods we desire, but an option nonetheless.

Yeah, I got a good look at it too, and spoke with Ian at length about it. Not being a WSM owner (yet), I don't really have much to compare it to, except the one's I've seen in BBQ Galore, and at the show Saturday. Here's my notes (to coincide with your notes Erik):
1. I was told the same about the price.

2. I noticed that the water pan was huge, much larger than I thought one would be. I can't compare it to anything though.

3. I believe they're only 2 centimeters smaller in diameter. What's that, maybe ½"-¾" smaller?

4. I did not know the middle section was any different from the bowl and lid.

5. The clips and handles were very nice, made it easy to move things around, different sections at a time, etc... Also, it has a built in temp guage in the lid.

6. I was also told about the 10 degree difference, and it never occured to me to ask whether it was C or F. I just assumed F.

7. Again, I was told the same thing, that BBQ Guru looks to be the first distributor here in the states, probably in at least 2½ months. I was also told that they're intersted in targeting the "boutique" type shops, not the large retailers. They want customer service and support to be a selling point.

8. I'm not sure if the metal is any thinner, but it is definitely lighter. However, it does have a very solid feel about it. The legs were definitely much thicker and larger, but possibly a different material.

9. I met up with some people from another forum, and they had some concerns about the vents (top and bottom) as far as the build quality (materials, assembly, etc.). We were also told that what we saw was still not the full final completed product, but I'm not sure what changes are in store.

10. You can also fit the lid on the base to use as a small kettle.

All in all, I think it will be a good competitor. If they had some for sale there, and if I was not so dead set on NOT being the first to get one (the guinea pig so to speak), it would have been tough justifying the extra expense on a WSM. Well, maybe not the deal at Amazon right now, but the regular retail price of $250.

My friend has one of these in his store if anyone in the Havre De Grace, MD area wants to see it. Gonna go check it out this weekend.

Rib'N'It
2130 Pulaski Highway
Havre de Grace, MD 21078

Originally posted by Matt Jones:
My friend has one of these in his store if anyone in the Havre De Grace, MD area wants to see it. Gonna go check it out this weekend.

Rib'N'It
2130 Pulaski Highway
Havre de Grace, MD 21078
So, did you go check it out? What do you think?

I took a quick look at it, I should have more time to look it over the next time I'm down there. It did have some nice features that I wish would come standard on the WSM, I liked that the sections buckled together, made it easier to move.

It felt solid over all but I did notice it was lighter then the WSM, guessing the metal isn't as thick. The grates seems to be lighter then the WSM grates also and it has smaller bolts and nuts holding it together vs the WSM.

I'm sticking with my Weber products. American made still means something to me. Their customer service department and parts network will be hard to beat. And I kinda like doing the mods myself.

Originally posted by JRPfeff:
I just spotted this new water smoker that includes several features that we've been begging Weber to add to the WSM. It is expandable - you can use it like the 1880 or add ProStacker sections to increase capacity to Magnum proportions. The ProQ BBQ Smoker also includes a thermometer and has handles in the middle sections. It even comes in <span class="ev_code_GREEN">green</span>.

The dimensions are slightly smaller than the WSM, 43 cm vs. 47 cm diameter, so the parts are not going to be interchangable. A British firm is marketing this smoker.

Why can't you stack two WSM center rings on top of each other? If you already own a WSM, why buy another smoker when you can just order another center ring? Don't they fit?
Thanks
Chip13w
icon_smile.gif

I see what you mean. I measured my bullet to double check and it won't fit.

Originally posted by Doug D:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frank Mastrogiovanni:
If you already own a WSM, why buy another smoker when you can just order another center ring? Don't they fit?
Not exactly. See bottom of this page. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Back