The WSM and the Pitmaster IQ. Saving your sanity.

Frank Eriksen

TVWBB Super Fan
I've been using the Pitmaster IQ for a few cooks and like it. Just haven't been impressed with how the IQ matches up with the WSM's thermometer. Today I cut a small slit in the rim of the cooking chamber so I could feed the IQ temp probe in and clip it on the center of the top grate. Well at first, temps were weird. IQ set at 225. WSM reading 250. So I'm pulling my hair out and am checking every web site and google search to find someone who hates the IQ. Well I found a few. Most love the thing.

Any how after several restarts and probe placements and a roll of tums, I decided to close the dome vent to just barely open. Whaddaya know the IQ and the WSM are just about exact. I have the IQ set at 225. The WSM is at 230-235. When you follow directions things work out. I'm writing this at 2:45pm Labor Day. I'll update after dinner. Cooking 3 full spares. 2 on top - 1 on the bottom.

Just a thought...I have an older model that wasn't equipped with a lid therm, so the following is just anecdotal.
BUT, before doing permanent damage to your 'fro, you might check the accuracy of the OE lid therm, as there are many testimonies of their inaccuracy and unreliability located within these pages.
Regardless, just find a temp that works for you and go with it.

Why worry about the cooker gauge? Even if it is accurate (for now), there's gonna be differences in temp depending on where you're measuring it. Right?

Thanks Dave. Good points. While dome temps can be overlooked if you're cooking brisket, pork butt or chicken - cause we go by internal temp, I like to know where things are and not fly blind, especially with ribs. I sent an email to Weber, on Monday asking about temp differences, but have not heard back as yet.

Originally posted by Frank Eriksen:
Thanks Dave. Good points. While dome temps can be overlooked if you're cooking brisket, pork butt or chicken - cause we go by internal temp, I like to know where things are and not fly blind, especially with ribs. I sent an email to Weber, on Monday asking about temp differences, but have not heard back as yet.

"Temp differences" within the cooker are an ever changing dynamic depending on HOW MUCH meat there is, WHERE it is on the grate and it's IT, as well as weather conditions.

If your pitmaster therm is accurate, why not just go by it? Just don't have it over the outer heat zone or too close to the meat.

That's part of the problem. When I'm cooking spares the only place to put the IQ temp probe is on the edge or near the meat. Weber wrote back and said that the dome thermometer can be off 10-15 degrees either way. Not much help. I'm probably over thinking this. I mean the ribs were very good.

Gotcha.

Since you have the big wsm, I'd use both grates and not crowd the meat. Then you'll have enough space for your therm somewhere near the grate center. I'd avoid the outer heat zone since that fluctuates even more.

I had two full spares on the top and one on the bottom. Maybe next time I'll put two on the bottom. Temps did get closer as I closed the dome vent to just 1/8th open.

The temp at the dome will be different than at the grate by about 15 - 20 degrees. Thats what my 22.5 reads.

Back