The start of a 2012 Weber Sprit 2 Burner refurb.

Jon, I agree, it is a nice touch, but for me, it just isn't worth the return. Sure, it is fairly easy to do, but all the extra painting and then waiting for it to dry takes up time that I could be using to scrub out a cook box.... I guess my biggest problem is that I always leave the logo badge to the very end and then have to wait an extra day or so to photo and list the grills in order to paint and sand the logo to complete the project. What I should do is take some of the "several" logo plates that I already have in inventory and do them all at once. But, that makes too much sense, right???

Yeah, I suppose the more production-line oriented you get the more it may start seeming like a job. There is some efficiency to be gained, I am sure, by doing the same step several times. You could probably turn out three grills faster that way than going from start to finish one at a time. Maybe not appealing but for something like just the badges it wouldn’t be so bad. Might also make good off-season winter work to prep and have them cured and ready for Spring.

Ya. I really hesitate to do more than one grill at a time. Every time I do, I start getting parts mixed up. Hahaha

Looks good. What kinda paint do you use on the firebox?

Edit..also..why did some of the 90's Weber's have a side mounted tank, and some just sat on the ground?

Most use Rustoleum High Heat on the fire box. Krylon also has some good high heat options that many like as well.

I think all the Weber Genesis 1000's and Silvers had mounts on the grill for the tanks. I suppose some either didn't use them or the mount was broken or missing.

Pretty sure all the LP Genny's Gold/Silvers and Spirits had a hanger scale on the side for propane tanks. The NG models didn't. It's quite possible that what he's seen is someone doing a conversion of some sort and putting a LP regulator on an NG grill. When they did the redesign in 2007 on the Genny's, they switched over to resting the tank on the bottom panel of the cart where they had a hole cutout for the base of the tank to rest in. Spirit followed suit after the redesign in 2009.

Last edited:
The parts as well as the SS flavorizer bars arrived today.
I am actually impressed with the quality of them. They are 16 gauge.
Better yet, they were only $28.95 shipped.
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07F6DXS3T/tvwb-20
No offense to RCplanebuyer, but I could not justify spending close to $70 for a new set of bars.
IMG-3734.jpg

IMG-3735.jpg

Bottom tray removed.
IMG-3736.jpg

IMG-3738.jpg

All taken apart, went to the car wash with the firebox.
IMG-3742.jpg

The "skeleton".
IMG-3744.jpg

Went over the burners with a scotchbrite, here the are being test fired.
IMG-3748.jpg

The used grates, over the new stainless flavorizer bars.
IMG-3753.jpg

The parts as well as the SS flavorizer bars arrived today.
I am actually impressed with the quality of them. They are 16 gauge.
Better yet, they were only $28.95 shipped.
https://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B07F6DXS3T/tvwb-20
No offense to RCplanebuyer, but I could not justify spending close to $70 for a new set of bars.
IMG-3734.jpg

IMG-3735.jpg

They do look pretty nice. Have you tried a magnet on them to see if they are 430 vs 304 stainless? Even if 430, at that thickness they are still better than the OEM porcelain covered steel. Thanks for sharing close-up pictures. Do let us know if they are magnetic.

As to Dave Santana - rcplanebuyer - there is no question that his stuff isn't cheap, but you do get the very best quality from him. Each person has to evaluate the trade-offs for their situation. For the older Genesis 13 bar fireboxes, I still think his are the best answer. I would love to have a set of his ultimate stainless rod grates, too, but for now have decided I can do without.

I wonder why Weber had a 13 bar, and what advantage it had?
They are magnetic.
They also glow red a bit. Which is odd.

Also...when I took the burners out and screwed them back in(the end of the tube to the firebox screw), they would move around still. After using it once they no longer move. Weird.

I got the new grates in today. One is slightly wobbly, but not really enough to matter.
IMG-3765.jpg

Maybe I missed it, but where did you get the cast iron grates from? How much if you don’t mind sharing? Do they appear to be coated with porcelain? They look pretty decent, so I hope they work out well for you. We will be interested in hearing how they do in action.

Maybe I missed it, but where did you get the cast iron grates from? How much if you don’t mind sharing? Do they appear to be coated with porcelain? They look pretty decent, so I hope they work out well for you. We will be interested in hearing how they do in action.

I had the link up, but I don't see it anymore.
https://www.thinkcrucial.com/products/2pk-cooking-grate-fits-weber-grills
You can sign up for email promos and they give you 10% off. Ended up being under $24.
They are available on Amazon/eBay but for a higher price. The shipping speed from the retailer directly is about the same.
They only seem to carry grates for the Spirit 200/500/Silver A.

Also, I did not realize this at the time, but one is not supposed to remove the burner tube screws to the firebox, according to Weber..they are "guide screws" and not meant to clamp down to the burner tube.
Luckily I did not strip them out of the aluminum tightening them.

Last edited:

Back