The Pellet Grill Weber Should’ve Made! / 22” Stainless Steel!

I wade into this with some fear and trepidation, but I would like to offer a few comments:

A pellet kettle is actually a nice thing. I have the oddball Landmann one that I have posted about. It is not capable of the ultra-high heats the Bullseye delivers, but, with it slide open shield, it is still capable of doing basic high heat grilling.

I have also turned out some really good low and slow BBQ pork shoulders and ribs with this little grill. I agree with Larry that if I only had 1 pellet grill, this wouldn't be my first choice. But for a second pellet grill, it offers some nice versatility in a very small package. Where Landmann came up short and Recteq delivered in my opinion is making it the right size. My Landmann has a diameter of about 21 inches, frustratingly a hair short of accommodating Weber kettle attachments. Recteq was smart to make them interchangeable. I agree with Tom Horsman at least to the extent that the creator of the kettle grill surely could make a really nice pellet version.

SMOKEFIRE
I have no stones to throw at the SmokeFire's cooking abilities. We have seen too much great looking cooks to not be impressed. However, I also think that operator error aside, there have been some really disappointing aspects of the rollout of this innovative grill. I don't think they tested it anywhere near as much as they claimed, and premature failure of way too many components really hurts. I have had my Recteq RT-700 for 5+ years and have only had to replace the igniter (free even though I was not the original owner!).

I know using the expression "market failure" is a loaded one. Nonetheless, I at least have to feel that in spite of an innovative design, the SmokeFire did NOT succeed in the marketplace. When you consider that you cannot see and touch one at virtually any major retailer, and the fact that Lowes - the one retailer that did give it some real floor space - has completely banished it - and its accessories, from a market penetration perspective it is hard to see the SmokeFire as a success. It definitely did not move into the ranks with Traeger, Pit Boss, Camp Chef, Recteq or other popular pellet grills.

Again, I am not at all discounting the great food the SmokeFIre is capable of (at least when everything is working). I am just saying it doesn't seem to have worked out well for Weber. All the returns, warrant replacements, and dedicated customer service staffing has had to have cost them a ton. I would cite the expected arrival of a new Weber pellet grill with a different name as some evidence to support what I am saying.

I think it is very interesting that Recteq took an extra-long time to roll out some new models. Looking at them, they took a very conservative overall approach, keeping many of the traditional elements in most of the new offerings including a solid heat/grease drain shield, a smokestack, and even the unloved grease bucket. I personally think Recteq was very spooked by what happened with the SmokeFire rollout and decided to go carefully. Not sure what I think about a "dual" chamber grill, and the "Flagship" mode - while boasting higher heat - doesn't make me feel left behind with my 5+ year old RT-700. It will be interesting to see how well these sell for Recteq.

One last comment. Although I have not been privileged to own or cook on a SmokeFire, I can see the advantages of the "open" concept in producing a better smoke profile. I just wonder, however, if Camp Chef's slide-in smoke box concept won't turn out to be a better way to get similar - maybe even better - results:

Very well said @Jon Tofte LSS mods came out with this for the Masterbuilt series to make it into a searing powerhouse. I will link to videos.
1696887162692.png

Those gravity feeds are intriguing. Still SMH on how they don't just set the whole hopper area on fire LOL.
There were a couple things that turned me off the gravity feed smokers. For one, the fan noise on most are louder than even the pellet grills. But the biggest was all the sparks. This was also an issue with my Smokefire. I live in a fairly humid area but I was constantly on the watch for smoldering embers on the ground. I hate the open drip tray design on the Smokefire. The fan air just pushes the sparks out the bottom of the grill. I feel safe enough with my newer pellet grill to cook on my deck. I don’t know how your two different model grills handle this. Even with my grill set at 500-525, I can get a nice crust on a burger keeping the large drip tray in place. I can also remove a cut out section to create a much hotter zone. But I also have Kamados, griddles, and Gozney Dome pizza oven If I want a severe sunburn on my food. It’s good to have discussions like this. Cheers

The thing I totally love about both my grills is no smoke stack, and nowhere that flames can escape the ovens. Plus grease is very well contained and separate from ashes. So maintenance is so easy. Deep clean involves removing grease deflector and scraping, brushing the grates clean, a quick vacuum with a little shop vac, stick it all together and cook. At the very most I spend 10 minutes maybe. So, no sparks.

any pics or a review to offer up? i'd be interested in your experiences.
I have the duel fuel, propane-wood. No issues so far, but many have. I love the extra space it has compared to the smaller portable Ooni and Rocbox models.
I wish the propane temp range was easier to dial in lower temps when needed. I wish the stone was easily user replaceable.
Some reported issues with gas flow problems internally not with regulator hose.
I think it’s a great size for most of us back yard cookers. And it burns less propane than I expected.
IMG_5014.jpegIMG_5002.jpegIMG_5012.jpegIMG_5005.jpegIMG_5007.jpeg

I have the duel fuel, propane-wood. No issues so far, but many have. I love the extra space it has compared to the smaller portable Ooni and Rocbox models.
I wish the propane temp range was easier to dial in lower temps when needed. I wish the stone was easily user replaceable.
Some reported issues with gas flow problems internally not with regulator hose.
I think it’s a great size for most of us back yard cookers. And it burns less propane than I expected.
View attachment 80398View attachment 80399View attachment 80400View attachment 80402View attachment 80404
any wide pic so i can "see" how big it really is in a back yard? i really like it for wood stick burning as fuel. my home has NG plumbed outside so I'll have to see if they have a NG version. have you baked bread in it? if that's your thing. food shots look great.

any link you can point me to to read other owner's negative experiences?

many thanks for your detailed reply.

Last edited:
any wide pic so i can "see" how big it really is in a back yard? i really like it for wood stick burning as fuel. my home has NG plumbed outside so I'll have to see if they have a NG version. have you baked bread in it? if that's your thing. food shots look great.

any link you can point me to to read other owner's negative experiences?

many thanks for your detailed reply.

They do make a natural gas/wood version. Some complaints with natural gas not reaching max temps and or heating slower. But I still would have gone NG if I had it plumbed outside.
I joined a Gozney Dome Facebook group that’s very active and mostly above my skill level but I’ve learned a lot just scanning the posts.
Yes, there are lots of bread makers in the group and the Dome has a steam injector system port.
The Dome doesn’t have a very high dome opening so others have posted having trouble removing after the rise and cook on some loafs. But the FB groups shows some beautiful bread cooks.

If this link does not work send me a message with your email and I will send you an invite.

The footprint of the Dome is a slight oval at 30”x28”. Here is a full photo on a stand I built. Still needs shelves added.
Only real size scale is the standard 20 pound propane tank.

IMG_4943.jpeg

They do make a natural gas/wood version. Some complaints with natural gas not reaching max temps and or heating slower. But I still would have gone NG if I had it plumbed outside.
I joined a Gozney Dome Facebook group that’s very active and mostly above my skill level but I’ve learned a lot just scanning the posts.
Yes, there are lots of bread makers in the group and the Dome has a steam injector system port.
The Dome doesn’t have a very high dome opening so others have posted having trouble removing after the rise and cook on some loafs. But the FB groups shows some beautiful bread cooks.

If this link does not work send me a message with your email and I will send you an invite.

The footprint of the Dome is a slight oval at 30”x28”. Here is a full photo on a stand I built. Still needs shelves added.
Only real size scale is the standard 20 pound propane tank.

View attachment 80411
Looks awesome. Do the offer/sell a standard stand? Unfortunately I don’t have FB. I deleted myself from it in 2015.

I’m on Gozney’s email list. Looks like they’re around 2k now?

There were a couple things that turned me off the gravity feed smokers. For one, the fan noise on most are louder than even the pellet grills. But the biggest was all the sparks. This was also an issue with my Smokefire. I live in a fairly humid area but I was constantly on the watch for smoldering embers on the ground. I hate the open drip tray design on the Smokefire. The fan air just pushes the sparks out the bottom of the grill. I feel safe enough with my newer pellet grill to cook on my deck. I don’t know how your two different model grills handle this. Even with my grill set at 500-525, I can get a nice crust on a burger keeping the large drip tray in place. I can also remove a cut out section to create a much hotter zone. But I also have Kamados, griddles, and Gozney Dome pizza oven If I want a severe sunburn on my food. It’s good to have discussions like this. Cheers
The fan on mine is quite quiet. It is a 12v computer fan. I also don't get any ashes or embers out of the grill and very few ashes in the grill. In fact since I always use the middle rack for food and have a drip pan under I actually never have to clean the grill either. I had way more issues with sparks and embers with my kettles.

Those gravity feeds are intriguing. Still SMH on how they don't just set the whole hopper area on fire LOL.
It actually took using one for me to actually figure it out. So when I start it up I use a fire starter cube and open the bottom and top so it acts like a Weber chimney. After about 5 minutes, I pull 2 slides that go to the fan and grill, and close the top and bottom of the shoot. Air flow is now restricted to fan and cooking chambers and fire only follows air flow and since the top is closed the fire can not go up any higher than the area between the two openings. Quite cool design. I never would have thought of it;-)

It actually took using one for me to actually figure it out. So when I start it up I use a fire starter cube and open the bottom and top so it acts like a Weber chimney. After about 5 minutes, I pull 2 slides that go to the fan and grill, and close the top and bottom of the shoot. Air flow is now restricted to fan and cooking chambers and fire only follows air flow and since the top is closed the fire can not go up any higher than the area between the two openings. Quite cool design. I never would have thought of it;-)
How long have you had your MB Gravity? I've had mine for 3 years and I'm not impressed with the quality. I'm on my 2nd controller and the grill body is disintegrating. Love the flavor but I'm not convinced it was built to withstand high heat grilling temps. The metal is pretty thin. I used it for both grilling and smoking and in hindsight I wish I would have stuck to low and slow only. I don't expect it to last much longer.

How long have you had your MB Gravity? I've had mine for 3 years and I'm not impressed with the quality. I'm on my 2nd controller and the grill body is disintegrating. Love the flavor but I'm not convinced it was built to withstand high heat grilling temps. The metal is pretty thin. I used it for both grilling and smoking and in hindsight I wish I would have stuck to low and slow only. I don't expect it to last much longer.
I have had mine about a year and a half. You are correct that it is not built to withstand a lot of high heat grilling. I knew this going in. I use mine mostly as a smoker and doing rotisserie chickens. I use it for BBQ up to 500° that benefits from charcoal and wood for flavor. I think for anything hotter and for short cooks that will not be getting smoke are much better off on the gas grill, and any thing that needs searing goes on the IR burner. I love the flavor profile of charcoal and wood but if I am just cooking some burgers or steaks it is faster, easier, and tastes the same on the gas grill. Also when smoking foods, once they are wrapped I find they will not be getting more flavor from smoke, I put them in the oven in winter and on the gas grill in summer to keep charcoal use down, and heat where I want it. I did the same with my WSM. I use the MB 800 to replace my WSM and Performer and so far I have not had a single issue, and the grill is looking almost new. It is also kept under cover on a covered porch.
The only other option IMHO for charcoal, smoking, high heat, and automatic temp control in the price range would be a Weber kettle, one of the many smoking - deflector / riser accessories (Kettle Zone) and a temp controller like the Spider Venom.

There are many after market options made of stainless steel that make the MB more durable and I would highly recommend them if you want to use your MB for high heat. You can get stainless manifolds, hopper liners, and even back and front liners with the ledges that hold up the grates. Fireboard even makes a drop in replacement controller.

What Masterbuilt has done at the price is quite amazing, but if it where built better it would be over twice the price. Now that they have so popularized the gravity format, if they came out with greatly built, expensive gravity, I think it would sell well as a lot of people have no problem dropping up to $2K on a grill. Since I am not one of those people, I treat mine like a princess and hope they will one day come out with the high end model and eventually pick one up used;-)

Joe, I think your careful treatment of your Masterbuilt has rewarded you well. The cottage industry that has evolved offering numerous stainless-steel reinforcements is the current way to get around the limitations of the "as is" price sensitive offering. I think you are on to something in that, Masterbuilt ought to make their own high-end version incorporating these types of improvements. But even so, a buyer -even after adding on all the extras - is still getting a fair deal on a grill offering great cooking ability.

Joe Anshien

I will snap a pic and post it when I get a chance.

I own both a Bullseye and a SF EX4 Gen1.
I love both of these grills and have zero complaints about either really.
I grill with the Bullseye.
I smoke with the Smokefire.
They both have their place in the arsenal.
The one and only advantage I give the Bullseye is ease of use.
I can view the digital readout without my glasses, which I often forget and leave
in the house. The controls are very basic and simple and I can fire it up and set
the temp, without the walk of shame back to retrieve my glasses first.

I have had mine about a year and a half. You are correct that it is not built to withstand a lot of high heat grilling. I knew this going in. I use mine mostly as a smoker and doing rotisserie chickens. I use it for BBQ up to 500° that benefits from charcoal and wood for flavor. I think for anything hotter and for short cooks that will not be getting smoke are much better off on the gas grill, and any thing that needs searing goes on the IR burner. I love the flavor profile of charcoal and wood but if I am just cooking some burgers or steaks it is faster, easier, and tastes the same on the gas grill. Also when smoking foods, once they are wrapped I find they will not be getting more flavor from smoke, I put them in the oven in winter and on the gas grill in summer to keep charcoal use down, and heat where I want it. I did the same with my WSM. I use the MB 800 to replace my WSM and Performer and so far I have not had a single issue, and the grill is looking almost new. It is also kept under cover on a covered porch.
The only other option IMHO for charcoal, smoking, high heat, and automatic temp control in the price range would be a Weber kettle, one of the many smoking - deflector / riser accessories (Kettle Zone) and a temp controller like the Spider Venom.

There are many after market options made of stainless steel that make the MB more durable and I would highly recommend them if you want to use your MB for high heat. You can get stainless manifolds, hopper liners, and even back and front liners with the ledges that hold up the grates. Fireboard even makes a drop in replacement controller.

What Masterbuilt has done at the price is quite amazing, but if it where built better it would be over twice the price. Now that they have so popularized the gravity format, if they came out with greatly built, expensive gravity, I think it would sell well as a lot of people have no problem dropping up to $2K on a grill. Since I am not one of those people, I treat mine like a princess and hope they will one day come out with the high end model and eventually pick one up used;-)
Makes sense. I personally would pay more than double for thicker steel. However I’m not sure I want to invest money into extras for this particular one. Better electronics would help as well as my controller failed after 2 years. Luckily I had an extended warranty.

I can’t see MB making a “Pro” model as they are known as a value brand. Hopefully they have some improvements in the works though. The drip pan leaking was a real issue for me. The only BBQ I’ve owned where the drip pan doesn’t work correctly. I had to use high temp caulk in the corners of the cooking chamber.

I believe you on the fire being contained, but one of these days I am gonna actually have to see one working. Truthfully I could not buy one because of my aversion to having a "live" fire on my deck and lack of space. But, if and when I ever get that patio poured near my deck's stairs where it would be somewhat sheltered I am keeping my eyes open for something with perhaps "live" fire technology. And the is on my short list of things to try

What timing. I just started smoking a corned beef and after the MB hit 225 I noticed the temps starting to drop which is very unusual as it keeps temps with in a degree or 2. It took about 10 minutes of fiddling to figure out the safety switch on the bottom door of the ash hopper crapped out. It gets pretty hot there. It took about a minute to pull the wires off the switch on stick them together to bypass the switch and she is running fine again. I think I will keep it like this as I like to check the wood chunk I put in the ash bin from time to time. Another plus I found with the gravity it is up to temp within about 20 minutes with nice blue smoke, where my WSM would be closer to an hour using a chimney and minion method.

Back