The Pellet Grill Weber Should’ve Made! / 22” Stainless Steel!

What else did you expect/want to see?
The mechanicals of how the grill works. Pictures of flame and heat management system. Explanation of how these new temperatures are achieved. Grease management system explained.

I have no comparisons of SmokeFire. I don’t own one.

The mechanicals of how the grill works. Pictures of flame and heat management system. Explanation of how these new temperatures are achieved. Grease management system explained.

I have no comparisons of SmokeFire. I don’t own one.
I’m sure someone will post a more in-depth review.

Honestly I would buy a SmokeFire before the RT. (at least the kettle version). They also make the conventional type pellet grill as well though.

Honestly I would buy a SmokeFire before the RT. (at least the kettle version). They also make the conventional type pellet grill as well though.
I’m sure the RT is perfect for the person who primarily likes a grilling style cooker. The other Recteq models would be more comparable to the Smokefire as you mentioned above.

If I was told I could have only one cooker, it would be one of my pellet grills. Likely Big Z as it is very versatile and does 95% of everything I want in an outdoor cooker. But if I was severely size restricted it would be the Member's Mark.

Weber made what they should have. And excelled at it.

The Smokefire will cook circles around that, I guarantee it. And has way more cooking space to boot.
I would have to disagree. The Smokefire was a market failure and embarrassment for Weber. With this format of adapting a 22 and 26" kettles I think they would have been much better off.

Smokefire is the best pellet on the market. The food off of it is unlike anything else. Is what it is.

Smokefire was a victim of social media at a time when people had literal hours to sit at home and watch vids; folks that don’t know what a grease fire is and refusing to work through the minimal initial issues and knee jerk returns. Doesn’t change the fact it’s a cooking SOB. Far from an embarrassment, those that know, know.

I’m sure the RT is perfect for the person who primarily likes a grilling style cooker. The other Recteq models would be more comparable to the Smokefire as you mentioned above.
The other RT models all have the metal drip pan across the entire cook surface. 100% indirect. They are more similar to a Traeger IMO.

If you like and are happy with your SF great. I had one and could not get rid of it fast enough. It had flameouts, jams, could not keep temp worth a dam. I have a Masterbuilt 800 Gravity and it has non of those issues. On the SF I tried taking out the metal at the bottom of the shoot, taping the slide, etc.

If you like and are happy with your SF great. I had one and could not get rid of it fast enough. It had flameouts, jams, could not keep temp worth a dam. I have a Masterbuilt 800 Gravity and it has non of those issues. On the SF I tried taking out the metal at the bottom of the shoot, taping the slide, etc.
Sorry to hear you had trouble with your SmokeFire. Not sure why you would need to modify anything with the cook box area.

Too bad you had so much issue. It likely would have been in Weber's best interest on those who had these issues to perhaps buy them back, and or replace them with a new one. I had 3 major objections to it. First was I just didn't "get" pellet grills as a whole. They puzzled me. 2nd was one I still have and that is how they handle grease and ashes. Finally the $$$$ aspect. They were kind of out of my reach. Now with them hitting the used market one became a very strong and real possibility but when I found the Big Z and at the price (the way I got it was priced very close to a used SmokeFire EX6 which is closest in size to the Z Grill 1100 2B with similar features I thought "nah" it's the direction I am going.
Totally pleased with my decision. But, not where I would think ill of the SmokeFire.

Weber made what they should have. And excelled at it.

The Smokefire will cook circles around that, I guarantee it. And has way more cooking space to boot.
Trying to compare 2 grills that are so different in design, price and size is just ridiculous.

Last edited:
Too bad you had so much issue. It likely would have been in Weber's best interest on those who had these issues to perhaps buy them back, and or replace them with a new one. I had 3 major objections to it. First was I just didn't "get" pellet grills as a whole. They puzzled me. 2nd was one I still have and that is how they handle grease and ashes. Finally the $$$$ aspect. They were kind of out of my reach. Now with them hitting the used market one became a very strong and real possibility but when I found the Big Z and at the price (the way I got it was priced very close to a used SmokeFire EX6 which is closest in size to the Z Grill 1100 2B with similar features I thought "nah" it's the direction I am going.
Totally pleased with my decision. But, not where I would think ill of the SmokeFire.
After reading all the comments in this post, I find it hard to believe you can get edible food off your 2 Non Smokefire grills. When you’re standing outside grilling, do you see Smokefire grills running circles around you? Me neither.

The other RT models all have the metal drip pan across the entire cook surface. 100% indirect. They are more similar to a Traeger IMO.
My comparison is accurate for shape, size and cooking grate configuration. Truthfully, the Smokefire is also 100% indirect as it also has a large deflector plate above the burn pot just like every other pellet grill, plus a large V bar above the Large deflector pate. But yes, the Recteq uses a larger drip ramp instead of multiple v bars.

I wade into this with some fear and trepidation, but I would like to offer a few comments:

A pellet kettle is actually a nice thing. I have the oddball Landmann one that I have posted about. It is not capable of the ultra-high heats the Bullseye delivers, but, with it slide open shield, it is still capable of doing basic high heat grilling.

Landmann Pork Chops.jpeg

I have also turned out some really good low and slow BBQ pork shoulders and ribs with this little grill. I agree with Larry that if I only had 1 pellet grill, this wouldn't be my first choice. But for a second pellet grill, it offers some nice versatility in a very small package. Where Landmann came up short and Recteq delivered in my opinion is making it the right size. My Landmann has a diameter of about 21 inches, frustratingly a hair short of accommodating Weber kettle attachments. Recteq was smart to make them interchangeable. I agree with Tom Horsman at least to the extent that the creator of the kettle grill surely could make a really nice pellet version.

SMOKEFIRE
I have no stones to throw at the SmokeFire's cooking abilities. We have seen too much great looking cooks to not be impressed. However, I also think that operator error aside, there have been some really disappointing aspects of the rollout of this innovative grill. I don't think they tested it anywhere near as much as they claimed, and premature failure of way too many components really hurts. I have had my Recteq RT-700 for 5+ years and have only had to replace the igniter (free even though I was not the original owner!).

I know using the expression "market failure" is a loaded one. Nonetheless, I at least have to feel that in spite of an innovative design, the SmokeFire did NOT succeed in the marketplace. When you consider that you cannot see and touch one at virtually any major retailer, and the fact that Lowes - the one retailer that did give it some real floor space - has completely banished it - and its accessories, from a market penetration perspective it is hard to see the SmokeFire as a success. It definitely did not move into the ranks with Traeger, Pit Boss, Camp Chef, Recteq or other popular pellet grills.

Again, I am not at all discounting the great food the SmokeFIre is capable of (at least when everything is working). I am just saying it doesn't seem to have worked out well for Weber. All the returns, warrant replacements, and dedicated customer service staffing has had to have cost them a ton. I would cite the expected arrival of a new Weber pellet grill with a different name as some evidence to support what I am saying.

I think it is very interesting that Recteq took an extra-long time to roll out some new models. Looking at them, they took a very conservative overall approach, keeping many of the traditional elements in most of the new offerings including a solid heat/grease drain shield, a smokestack, and even the unloved grease bucket. I personally think Recteq was very spooked by what happened with the SmokeFire rollout and decided to go carefully. Not sure what I think about a "dual" chamber grill, and the "Flagship" mode - while boasting higher heat - doesn't make me feel left behind with my 5+ year old RT-700. It will be interesting to see how well these sell for Recteq.

One last comment. Although I have not been privileged to own or cook on a SmokeFire, I can see the advantages of the "open" concept in producing a better smoke profile. I just wonder, however, if Camp Chef's slide-in smoke box concept won't turn out to be a better way to get similar - maybe even better - results:

I wade into this with some fear and trepidation, but I would like to offer a few comments:

A pellet kettle is actually a nice thing. I have the oddball Landmann one that I have posted about. It is not capable of the ultra-high heats the Bullseye delivers, but, with it slide open shield, it is still capable of doing basic high heat grilling.

View attachment 80382

I have also turned out some really good low and slow BBQ pork shoulders and ribs with this little grill. I agree with Larry that if I only had 1 pellet grill, this wouldn't be my first choice. But for a second pellet grill, it offers some nice versatility in a very small package. Where Landmann came up short and Recteq delivered in my opinion is making it the right size. My Landmann has a diameter of about 21 inches, frustratingly a hair short of accommodating Weber kettle attachments. Recteq was smart to make them interchangeable. I agree with Tom Horsman at least to the extent that the creator of the kettle grill surely could make a really nice pellet version.

SMOKEFIRE
I have no stones to throw at the SmokeFire's cooking abilities. We have seen too much great looking cooks to not be impressed. However, I also think that operator error aside, there have been some really disappointing aspects of the rollout of this innovative grill. I don't think they tested it anywhere near as much as they claimed, and premature failure of way too many components really hurts. I have had my Recteq RT-700 for 5+ years and have only had to replace the igniter (free even though I was not the original owner!).

I know using the expression "market failure" is a loaded one. Nonetheless, I at least have to feel that in spite of an innovative design, the SmokeFire did NOT succeed in the marketplace. When you consider that you cannot see and touch one at virtually any major retailer, and the fact that Lowes - the one retailer that did give it some real floor space - has completely banished it - and its accessories, from a market penetration perspective it is hard to see the SmokeFire as a success. It definitely did not move into the ranks with Traeger, Pit Boss, Camp Chef, Recteq or other popular pellet grills.

Again, I am not at all discounting the great food the SmokeFIre is capable of (at least when everything is working). I am just saying it doesn't seem to have worked out well for Weber. All the returns, warrant replacements, and dedicated customer service staffing has had to have cost them a ton. I would cite the expected arrival of a new Weber pellet grill with a different name as some evidence to support what I am saying.

I think it is very interesting that Recteq took an extra-long time to roll out some new models. Looking at them, they took a very conservative overall approach, keeping many of the traditional elements in most of the new offerings including a solid heat/grease drain shield, a smokestack, and even the unloved grease bucket. I personally think Recteq was very spooked by what happened with the SmokeFire rollout and decided to go carefully. Not sure what I think about a "dual" chamber grill, and the "Flagship" mode - while boasting higher heat - doesn't make me feel left behind with my 5+ year old RT-700. It will be interesting to see how well these sell for Recteq.

One last comment. Although I have not been privileged to own or cook on a SmokeFire, I can see the advantages of the "open" concept in producing a better smoke profile. I just wonder, however, if Camp Chef's slide-in smoke box concept won't turn out to be a better way to get similar - maybe even better - results:

I would tend to agree with your assessment. I like that the Smokefire took a risk and did away with the drip pan covering the entire surface allowing you to get some direct fire/heat. Of course that opens is up to fire risk with grease drippings. Should have informed customers from the outset to use a drip pan for low and slow cooks etc.

The issue I have with standard pellet “grills” is that they are not grills. They can’t sear with a big sheet of metal under the grates.

I’m intrigued by the new RecTeq DualFire. A reverse searing machine all in one.

See Jon? There you go bringing something reasonable to the table :D Yeah, I too think it might be fun if I had one pellet grill like yours with a little more of an ability to higher heat cooks. I can get either of mine to 500 (honest measured degrees), but there are physics involved here. The smaller oven Member's Mark can do it faster due to it's smaller oven and not having a second diffuser under the deflector plate. While with it's same sized fire pot, and secondary flame diffuser and the much larger oven size of the Z 1100 2B, getting that "cranked" is a bit of a wait and I am sure it takes more fuel to do so than on your RecTeq or my Member's Mark.
And like you I cannot discount the great accomplishments I see many of the users of SmokeFire have. And I can understand why in many cases it can be an "only" grill. It certainly is a very capable piece. Interesting tech being used as well. My Big Z was VERY close to being a SmokeFire EX4 because of all the fine things I see people like Lew turning out of it.
But, if someone told me to get rid of everything but 1. The last "man" standing so to speak would be Big Z. It's overall the most versatile thing I have.

Back