The official what grill should I purchase next thread

Basically I read a lot of threads where people have issues with this or that with their WSM, maybe its just being a new user maybe not.
Bingo. I think you hit the nail on the head there. Once you figure it out however, it’s a breeze.
I have this kettle down pretty good already and with the upgraded lower vents on the MT premium it looks even easier to maintain a nice good low smoke....it would appear as though you can dial in that 230 or 240 and just maintain there for a long time.
They say that if you can cook on a kettle, you can cook on anything.
It would also appear as though wind issues wouldn't be as much of a problem as I read some of the WSM fellas are having.
The capacity deal does sound like a win for the WSM, it would be basically double when using the grates right?

I am up here in the north, but not as far as Grant is, not sure where he is in the province but I am in southern Ontario.
It does get cold but I don't think we dropped below -15 degrees here this year so the bbq season just kept on rolling.
Grant appears to be in Alberta, and I’m out in Winnipeg. So we have the prairies covered. You’re correct about the WSM capacity, and if you really want, you can use the bottom as a grill if needed. For the price, the WSM is hard to look past. I’ve had the 18.5 since December 2020 and it suits my family of 4 just fine. I love it. It is just so versatile ad you‘re only limited by you imagination. Did I mention mods? (I’m an enabler by the way.)

My wife said the same thing about the WSK and the WSM in that they can both smoke and suggested I look at the performer. But the WSK (E6) can offer far more stability during terrible weather. We‘ve had a mild winter here as well... that is of course until we had company and the wind was atrocious, Even then, I had no problems with my WSM getting lit and going for 5-6 hours on ribs.

I think either way, you’ll be fine with whatever you choose.

I guess it comes down to how much smoker and how much grill you want in your smoker/grill.

If you want to do 3 slabs of ribs laid flat for 5-6 hours, the MTP would be perfect for that. A WSM would let you do six slabs laid out, and would also let you hang 8-10 slabs if you wanted to go PBC style. Do you care about those capabilities?

I'd think the MTP would be fussier to use for a long smoke of pork shoulders or briskets. How many many hours of burn time you can get out of a MTP? The charcoal ring is small as compared to a WSM, but then the interior volume of the MTP is smaller than a WSM.

The WSMs will run for a looong time on a full charcoal load, and the door makes it easy to add more coals/chunks and generally tend to the fire as needed over the course of a long cook. With the MTP, the fire is pretty much sealed up. So you have to disassemble the grill (hot probe off; hot meat off; hot grate off; hot deflector plate off) to peak in on how the fire is doing.

The WSMs are probably easier to fine tune the temps -- three daisy wheels on the bottom plus one on the top. Very stable temps when run manually, and idiot-proof when using an ATC. But do you care about being able to sleep soundly while doing a 16 hour overnight smoke?

MTP vs. WSM. I have the garden variety MT with the P vents and a WSM22.

I can't comment on cooking in the cold because I'm in SoCal, except to say there are "smoking jackets" available to insulate the WSM; Welding blankets may also be used. But we do have wind in SoCal. Both cookers will be affected by wind. Both will need some sheltering if you plan on cooking in wind frequently. There are lots of ideas on TVWBB for shelters, including Timothy F's recent post.

If you plan on cooking brisket or pork butt more than once, get the WSM. I've done ribs on the MT and ribs on the WSM that are equally good. I've been using the kettle more for ribs because of the pandemic (cooking for 2 instead of a crowd). I can't imagine trying to keep up with refueling a kettle to cook a brisket. I know it can be done, but it doesn't look like much fun to me. If you are going to cook big meat, get the WSM. I don't know the Canadian prices but a WSM22, gaskets, hinge, and Thermoworks Smoke/Billows ATC should come in below your price target and allow you close to set it and forget it. With an ATC like Smoke/Billows, you don't have to worry about the wind as much since all the vents are covered.

Last edited:
Bingo. I think you hit the nail on the head there. Once you figure it out however, it’s a breeze.

They say that if you can cook on a kettle, you can cook on anything.

Grant appears to be in Alberta, and I’m out in Winnipeg. So we have the prairies covered. You’re correct about the WSM capacity, and if you really want, you can use the bottom as a grill if needed. For the price, the WSM is hard to look past. I’ve had the 18.5 since December 2020 and it suits my family of 4 just fine. I love it. It is just so versatile ad you‘re only limited by you imagination. Did I mention mods? (I’m an enabler by the way.)

My wife said the same thing about the WSK and the WSM in that they can both smoke and suggested I look at the performer. But the WSK (E6) can offer far more stability during terrible weather. We‘ve had a mild winter here as well... that is of course until we had company and the wind was atrocious, Even then, I had no problems with my WSM getting lit and going for 5-6 hours on ribs.

I think either way, you’ll be fine with whatever you choose.
I appreciate your input Bradley.

I guess it comes down to how much smoker and how much grill you want in your smoker/grill.

If you want to do 3 slabs of ribs laid flat for 5-6 hours, the MTP would be perfect for that. A WSM would let you do six slabs laid out, and would also let you hang 8-10 slabs if you wanted to go PBC style. Do you care about those capabilities?

I'd think the MTP would be fussier to use for a long smoke of pork shoulders or briskets. How many many hours of burn time you can get out of a MTP? The charcoal ring is small as compared to a WSM, but then the interior volume of the MTP is smaller than a WSM.

The WSMs will run for a looong time on a full charcoal load, and the door makes it easy to add more coals/chunks and generally tend to the fire as needed over the course of a long cook. With the MTP, the fire is pretty much sealed up. So you have to disassemble the grill (hot probe off; hot meat off; hot grate off; hot deflector plate off) to peak in on how the fire is doing.

The WSMs are probably easier to fine tune the temps -- three daisy wheels on the bottom plus one on the top. Very stable temps when run manually, and idiot-proof when using an ATC. But do you care about being able to sleep soundly while doing a 16 hour overnight smoke?
Thanks for pointing out out a lot of the pros and cons to each, gives me some things to consider.

I can't comment on cooking in the cold because I'm in SoCal, except to say there are "smoking jackets" available to insulate the WSM; Welding blankets may also be used. But we do have wind in SoCal. Both cookers will be affected by wind. Both will need some sheltering if you plan on cooking in wind frequently. There are lots of ideas on TVWBB for shelters, including Timothy F's recent post.

If you plan on cooking brisket or pork butt more than once, get the WSM. I've done ribs on the MT and ribs on the WSM that are equally good. I've been using the kettle more for ribs because of the pandemic (cooking for 2 instead of a crowd). I can't imagine trying to keep up with refueling a kettle to cook a brisket. I know it can be done, but it doesn't look like much fun to me. If you are going to cook big meat, get the WSM. I don't know the Canadian prices but a WSM22, gaskets, hinge, and Thermoworks Smoke/Billows ATC should come in below your price target and allow you close to set it and forget it. With an ATC like Smoke/Billows, you don't have to worry about the wind as much since all the vents are covered.
Thanks again to all of you for pointing out some of the highs and lows to these 2 options. I decided to stay with the Weber brand and pretty much cancelled out the 26" kettle idea as it will not promote much more of anything new compared to my 22". The WSM and the MTP feel like my best 2 options while keeping my spending down from an E6.....it is a nice unit and I seen the first burn thread already. If I spring for that it will be a miracle but mostly off the table for now.
As far as cooking and amounts go, I generally cook for 2 to 6 people for the most part. This relates to why I was leaning towards the MTP. I would have to see one in person first I guess before I pull the trigger. That comment on the smaller charcoal ring on the MTP really makes me wonder how much charcoal it really does hold. With the surface area of 2 - 22" kettles I would think I could cook for a crowd still.
One with the full 22" and the other with the 2/3rds available.

Is there anything better with the P vents vs the straight vents that the performer has? Have you tried to maintain a super low cook for hours at say 200 to 225 and came out with great results? I do have a few cooks that I would like to make sure my next purchase can work with, as low as possible when cooking these items.

Is there anything better with the P vents vs the straight vents that the performer has? Have you tried to maintain a super low cook for hours at say 200 to 225 and came out with great results? I do have a few cooks that I would like to make sure my next purchase can work with, as low as possible when cooking these items.
I have not noticed a difference with the P vents. When I cook ribs on the kettle, I use a snake. The vents aren't usually a factor with a snake; it depends on how you build the snake and how many lit coals you start with. My longest cooks with the MT have been 5-6 hours for spare ribs; for anything longer I use my WSM.

If you are considering the MTP to get the coal ring and diffuser plate, consider making your own and getting a regular MT or premium kettle and saving some cash. There's been a lot of negative feedback on the MTP hinge; users either love it or hate it. I love the regular MT because of the lid holder and it's availability in a multitude of colors.

Tom Horsman made a coal ring and diffuser on youtube:

I have not noticed a difference with the P vents. When I cook ribs on the kettle, I use a snake. The vents aren't usually a factor with a snake; it depends on how you build the snake and how many lit coals you start with. My longest cooks with the MT have been 5-6 hours for spare ribs; for anything longer I use my WSM.

If you are considering the MTP to get the coal ring and diffuser plate, consider making your own and getting a regular MT or premium kettle and saving some cash. There's been a lot of negative feedback on the MTP hinge; users either love it or hate it. I love the regular MT because of the lid holder and it's availability in a multitude of colors.

Tom Horsman made a coal ring and diffuser on youtube:

I have watched a number of his videos recently.
I seen by just making it a tad bit bigger he was able to get a lot more charcoal in there too.
I think I watched the homemade ring burn for 20 hours if I remember right.
The hinge is why I haven't already put one on order. I like the whole bbq but that hinge could possibly piss me right off.
I see there is the hinge mod and it seems to solve any problems if there was any.
I thought that maybe there was some folks on here that could chime in on a couple of questions I have.

How long does the charcoal ring setup burn for at 250....I would like to think you can get 10 hours on it without worrying....
I could be very wrong though.
Have you done the hinge mod or did you need to do it?
Things like that......

Here is a video that shows how to properly attach the springs so that the hinge doesn't leak.

I use my 26" kettle for low and slow cooks or if I need to grill a large amount of food.
I also have a Performer that I use for most of my cooks.
Recently got a PK 360 grill. It'll be replacing my other Performer and likely take over as my most often used grill.

The Summit Charcoal looks amazing. If you can afford it, that seems like the one to get.

I've heard good things about Hasty Bake, but have never used one.
Congrats on the new PK360 - I've had mine for about a year, and overall I really like it. PK's instructions on how to run low and slow in that unit are not helpful. Let me know if run into any issues.

Have you done the hinge mod or did you need to do it?
I have a regular MT in deep ocean blue, not the MT Premium. It has a lid holder instead of a hinge.

A1B3A096-56C7-4C90-9FB0-399BFF43CBA4.jpeg
Edit: the holder seen in the pic is the newer version that comes standard on the current Performer; it holds the lid vertical. The holder that comes with the MT is an older version that angles the lid over the cooker a bit. I installed the newer holder so I can use the holder when the rotisserie ring is installed.

Last edited:
That thing sure is a fancy looking grill.......
not sure what it all does but it looks like everything ;)

Dang - look at this crazy grill - I'm getting one right after I win the lottery! I think it weighs 1100 lbs with all accessories. Looks like you could hang half a beef over the fire if you wanted too.
1614978684514.png

If you are really feeling the kettle/smoker option more than a WSM, I'd go for a kettle conversion kit over the MTP.

This one gives you a ring (but more capacity than the MTP ring) and a diffuser plate. What else are you getting from the MTP beyond a small ring and a plate (both quite overpriced)?

But you also get some extra vertical height (extra distance from the coals is helpful for lower temp control). And a second cooking grate (more capacity.

Or make your own expanded metal ring plus 18 inch pizza pan. $25 bucks maybe?

I absolutely believe you could get 10 hours out of the MTP diffuser plate and charcoal ring. Using my MT with the diffuser plate has been so much fun and I love cooking on it. However, ever time I go back to cooking on the WSM, I think that is so much fun and so freaking easy to cook on. At this point I would not want to be without both, unless I upgraded to the E6.

I don't think you can't go wrong with one of the two larger WSM units or the new MTP. When grilling the MTP is going to give you a double kettle set up, where it and your performer can do all same things. This could be really cool if we ever get back to gatherings. When smoking the MTP will give you the whole grate to cook with, but the WSM was designed to smoke, so if you really want that dual set up one grill primary as you bbqer and the other as your smoker don't count out the WSM's.

When I got the diffuser plate system for my MT, some here where not sure how it would work for long periods as a low and slow machine. It has done great, and a few people said it surprised them, but now they believe it is going to work well for me. I am still more comfortable and confident with low and slow in the WSM, but the MT with the diffuser is getting ready damn close.

Enjoy this process, trust your gut, and get what you will be happy with! I am so glad I got the MT over the Premium, I never think twice about that. I debated between the WSM 14 and 18 and still pounder if I made the right choice.

I absolutely believe you could get 10 hours out of the MTP diffuser plate and charcoal ring. Using my MT with the diffuser plate has been so much fun and I love cooking on it. However, ever time I go back to cooking on the WSM, I think that is so much fun and so freaking easy to cook on. At this point I would not want to be without both, unless I upgraded to the E6.

I don't think you can't go wrong with one of the two larger WSM units or the new MTP. When grilling the MTP is going to give you a double kettle set up, where it and your performer can do all same things. This could be really cool if we ever get back to gatherings. When smoking the MTP will give you the whole grate to cook with, but the WSM was designed to smoke, so if you really want that dual set up one grill primary as you bbqer and the other as your smoker don't count out the WSM's.

When I got the diffuser plate system for my MT, some here where not sure how it would work for long periods as a low and slow machine. It has done great, and a few people said it surprised them, but now they believe it is going to work well for me. I am still more comfortable and confident with low and slow in the WSM, but the MT with the diffuser is getting ready damn close.

Enjoy this process, trust your gut, and get what you will be happy with! I am so glad I got the MT over the Premium, I never think twice about that. I debated between the WSM 14 and 18 and still pounder if I made the right choice.
You bought the aura system right? I don’t even like the centre cooking system, maybe a lower model kettle and the Cajun bandit system
This sounds like a fabulous option actually, but I don’t know a lot about it.
Deep ring and diffuser plate......2 racks?
And the spacer so the lid is high up right......?
Not a single person recommends the mpt.....I’m starting to be swayed. This is a good thing
So aura is like the Cajun bandit sort of then right, just smaller!

You bought the aura system right?
Yep and l love it!
I don’t even like the centre cooking system, maybe a lower model kettle and the Cajun bandit system
This sounds like a fabulous option actually, but I don’t know a lot about it.
Deep ring and diffuser plate......2 racks?
And the spacer so the lid is high up right......?
I think this is a really good option, do the standard Master Touch and add the cajun bandit system. I really think this would give the the most versital system, all you love about you performer and a standard kettle and when you add the cajun bandit system you are basically turning in into a foux WSM. If you go this route you will want to get the new lid bale for the performer like J Grotz has on his blue Master Touch so that the lid can sit in the bale with the spacer on.
Not a single person recommends the mpt.....I’m starting to be swayed. This is a good thing
I started with my WSM and then added a kettle. If I was in that situation with a WSM looking for a kettle today, I would being getting the MTP hands down, not even a second thought. And I still don't think that would be a bad purchase for you. I think with having a performer already, the MTP gives you more of the same with a few extra features verse other options that give you more flexibility, that is all.
So aura is like the Cajun bandit sort of then right, just smaller!
Yep!

Thanks for the replies.
I’m not sure, the MRS says why not get a wsm.....she calls them minions....lol
So I was on the Cajun bandit site and she says she would rather I got a rotisserie.
lol......I said we can and the mtp and then I can make you smoked ribs and rotisserie chicken for the same meal.
She says “now you are talking, keep speaking my language”...lol
Sounds like I have the go ahead for a rotisserie and a new bbq.
Man oh man.....
I showed her the E6 again, she says nothing and looks away, apparently she doesn’t want me to spend that kind of money....” unless my tax return is that much “ she said.....and I know it won’t be and so does she.....

So you wish you had a mtp over the mt regular?
May I ask why?

Back