The official what grill should I purchase next thread

Darryl - swazies

TVWBB Emerald Member
Well, good news........I think anyways.
I was able to secure a buyer for my large sized Traeger pellet grill. It's about 10 years old, works well besides it not running at as low as you set the temp.
Not sure what the issue is, either the temp probe or something electrical. Either way parts are cheap to fix it if it goes south. I had just been setting it at 180 to cook at 200 to 220. Still worked fine. Other than that it works flawlessly and has never jammed or had issues. Also well taken care of as I take pride in that kind of thing like I am sure most of you do too. I was going to put it up for $400 and thought it would sell easily, my old man was over on the weekend and he has eaten off it many times, happily. Anyways it was in conversation how I have been eyeing up other grills and was going to probably sell the Traeger. He said how much, I said $300 and he said sold. That was an easy one for sure. Told him everything I just said and about the temp running a bit hotter than it should. Not many things like to be cooked below 200 beside jerky and salmon, for me anyways. Gave him a quick rundown on what temps work good for what and he was happy.
So that leaves me with a bit of cash burning a hole in the pocket ;), not really but I want to commit to another grill.
Ideas are encouraged but I have touched on this idea in a couple other threads. My ideas on this setup goes like this.

I currently have a new in October Performer premium. I love this grill, grills and smokes well. What I am looking to accomplish I think is to have something similar that would be more dedicated to the smoke portion of the cooking but still allow me to grill too. You might say you are doing that now but we all know how much grill space there is when doing a low n slow on the kettle. It also limits me to 1 temp 1 type of food. With 2 grills I can have something like ribs cooking and the other can handle something like a mac n cheese. So thinking maybe 1 that can do most of the smoking or larger pieces or multiple pieces of meat but still grill when I need to fire off more than the 2/3rds of a kettle can handle. If this is a horrible idea please let me know and maybe why, or ideas on what I should put on the deck beside the performer. I can spend more than the $300 for sure, Summits are $1,300 and $2,300 for the cart version I believe. I could spend up to the $1,300 but honestly I would like to keep the spending lower if possible. I was highly considering buying new, most of the crap I can find online around here is junk anyways.
It is an exciting time! Thanks for adding your comments.

I was going to suggest a Hasty Bake, but I don't think they ship to or have any dealers in Canada. That would be the perfect grill/smoker for you.

Napoleon's Charcoal Pro has many of the same features as the Hasty Bake, but it's $200 over your cap. If they have sales or you find a used one, that looks like a good grill. My charcoal daily driver has a height adjustable coal bed and I absolutely love that feature. I use it on every cook.

Are you interested in another pellet grill at all? If so, MAK 1 star would be worth a look, but it's not cheap. Lifetime warranty and built to last. The SmokeFire will also continue to get better in time. Sounds like a good firmware update should be available soon. It might give you a few moody spells until they iron everything out though.

The Weber Kamado E6 is only $999 (US). Basically, it's a Summit Charcoal without the ignitor. Running in Kamado mode, it has a lot more space than a 22" kettle with SnS, plus it's lid is tall enough you can also add a platform shelf for even more capacity. In grill mode it performs pretty similar to a kettle. I love mine when I'm in the mood for charcoal. Have a chuckle going on it today. It also has a port already that you can hook up an automatic temp control.

From researching before, I don't think the Napoleon pro mentioned above works very well as a smoker. It's a beautiful looking grill, but the reviews I read on it said that it was very hard to control at smoking temps due to too much airflow, so study up hard on that one if it intrigues you. It's always possible it has been updated to better handle smoking.

You could also get a 26" Kettle with SnS which would be what you are used to with just considerably more capacity. As well, there's the new MasterTouch Premium 22" Kettle which is kinda like a smaller uninsulated version of the E6. I think it might be inconvenient for longer smokes personally as the charcoal capacity would be a lot less than the E6.

I use my 26" kettle for low and slow cooks or if I need to grill a large amount of food.
I also have a Performer that I use for most of my cooks.
Recently got a PK 360 grill. It'll be replacing my other Performer and likely take over as my most often used grill.

The Summit Charcoal looks amazing. If you can afford it, that seems like the one to get.

I've heard good things about Hasty Bake, but have never used one.

While explaining to the wife what my intentions are, not that she would care anyways, she uses the bbq 0% of the time.......I was mentioning that my intentions were to get a pellet down the road. I did enjoy the one I had but being so old the computer portion of it was pretty dated. If you were into 50 degree temp swings then it was a cool grill. I see now that this has been improved by many manufacturers and I do like what they have to offer. RECTEK and SMOKEFIRE look so nice. So I can still handle the burden of using charcoal and everything that comes with it. It is really my first choice, I haven't fired up the propane or the pellet since the first week of October. The Hasty bake is something I didn't even knew existed, thank you for showing me that one. So far I have considered the Mastertouch premium due to it's low price and charcoal ring / diffuser plate. Someone else on here said they leak a lot though, smoke everywhere, but I don't know enough to comment on that. The new Kamdo Joe's kettle Joe....but this option seems like it would be a great smoker but less of a grill( release date to public is around May1 )( This retails for $699 supposedly ). A WSM but I don't think I want that, basically it would excel in smoking but doesn't seem like it would grill as good as the kettle. I like the new Summit, I guess it's the E6, the one without the cart because it is $1,000 cheaper and I have a cart on the performer that could go both ways on the deck. That one would be the about as high as I would want to spend for sure, it is $1,300 here in Canada and that is pretty steep for a second bbq.
The 26" kettle is a nice option too, I will look into that. SNS probably has all the toys for that one too I would think right?

22 WSM.

A great dedicated smoker.

And (with the same form factor as a 22 inch kettle) works well as a grill. Check out YouTube vids from T-Roy Cooks and Phil in Florence on that.

But unlike most grills, with the WSM 22 you can use the whole grate (not a portion). Instead of using left/right zones to get lower temp (and using up grate space) , you adjust via vertical distance instead (since the charcoal chamber can be raised up to the water pan position). Like with a Hasty Bake or Santa Maria. Also, you can hang stuff (so it's a PBC too). Easy to add an ATC for cruise control cooks. For even more capacity, it is easy to rig (or buy) brackets for a third cooking grate.

Or Masterbuilt Gravity Feed (but beware build quality). Or a Hasty Bake (which are very cool). Or 26 kettle with XL SnS. Or maybe a Backwoods Chubby 3400. But I think the WSM is a better smoker than all those options.

Last edited:
I’m partial to the WSCG but a kamado would be a good choice. Plenty of room and very fuel efficient in winter. Otherwise the 26” kettle.

Have you considered the Masterbuilt Gravity Series 800?
Taking a look at this in a few minutes.
I think I seen a base model gravity feed before in person and wasn't overly impressed with the build quality. It was a while ago so not too sure how accurate that is.

I’m with Shane. E6 gets my vote. I’m still waiting for mine to show up.

View attachment 23435

I like this option a lot too, does it come with the Charcoal ring and diffuser plate as well?
I am anticipating some good pictures and a full review on yours and how the build goes and everything else when you get yours.
I would have to cough up $900 more than the mastertouch premium to get this one.
Would that value be there? Is it that much better than the MT premium? 24" vs 22".
I see these are 24"
MT premium is 22" with ring and diffuser. I thought I read somewhere here that there was burns going for over 10 hours without reloads?
I seen the original kettle at 26" too. I would like to think that I could cook more on the MT premium at 22" using the whole grate over the 26" using 2/3rds of the grate. I have no idea though.....

My next grill!!!

My next grill!!!
That thing sure is a fancy looking grill.......
not sure what it all does but it looks like everything ;)

Kamado joe big joe blaze red kamado charcoal grill are marked down 45% at Lowes. If they aren't in the store, they can be ordered & delivered to your local Lowe's.

This is what I was going to buy before I decide on the performer premium.

Heard good things about this too

I like this option a lot too, does it come with the Charcoal ring and diffuser plate as well?
Would that value be there? Is it that much better than the MT premium? 24" vs 22".

MT premium is 22" with ring and diffuser. I thought I read somewhere here that there was burns going for over 10 hours without reloads?

Yes sir. This one is going to come with 2 charcoal baskets and a stainless steel plate (diffuser). I can’t comment on the MT, but I would say there’s value in anything you enjoy cooking on.

I watched a bit of an older video from Baby Back Maniac, where he dumps a bag of Kingsford Original in the Weber Kamado. His test results showed the Summit Kamado kept the charcoal burning for up to 50 hours, no fuel added. Just intermittent checks to see how much charcoal was left. That’s a great deal of efficiency in my opinion.

What sold me was the ability to do anything I could do on a kettle, with the added bonus of a smoker and an oven. I love my 18.5 WSM as a dedicated smoker, so I have zero intentions of ever parting with it. But my genesis doesn’t offer the benefits of the charcoal flavour my family and I have come to love. I’ll have a use for all 3.

You just need to focus on what is most important to you on the grill you purchase, and more importantly- does it make you happy? You‘ll never appreciate something fancy and shiny, if it isn’t what you truly wanted.

Last edited:
Yeah I hear what you are saying, aesthetics have no importance on what I am purchasing. The 50 hour cook without reload is very impressive. I am very happy with my performer for sure, we have also come to love the flavor of the charcoal and that is why I want to add another charcoal to the mix. I can leave the performer to do most of the grilling duties, like burgers and offset steak and sausage and things like that. I keep leaning towards the Mastertouch premium model with hinged lid and diffuser set up. The price is right where I like it and with the ability to use the whole grill for a good smoke I know there is a lot more room there than I am used to right now during smoking. That E6 summit sure is a pretty thing too though. I am a bit jealous, it looks good, it's bigger and it would fit the bill for what I need to do. I keep showing the MRS. the mastertouch, 26" kettle and the E6 summit. I would love to stick with the brand and I like all 3 of these options. She does hit back with good points to each, her favorite lately is " doesn't the MT do the same thing as the E6? " While in my eyes it does do the same thing but we all know there is benefits to the E6 for sure. Basically you get what you pay for kind of thing. She thinks getting the 26 is silly because its the same as what we have now.

I am leaning towards the MT for sure, all I need is someone to talk me out of it. Decision is based on price for what you get. I can see the value in it for sure. I like the Kamado but I just don't want to drop the $1400 plus taxes on it. Its basically $1,000 more the the MT. I don't get into any smoking sessions that go above the 10 to hours anyways so I would like to be optimistc about I have been watching some you tube vids on the MT and the lid does look like the worst thing about the grill. I see them do the spring mod on them and it would appear as though it can be overcome with about 5 minutes of work.

Has anyone bought one of these and not done the mod or done the mod?

What I am looking to accomplish I think is to have something similar that would be more dedicated to the smoke portion of the cooking but still allow me to grill too.

Since you already have a 22 kettle as the primary grill, I'm not seeing why you'd pick another 22 kettle to be your dedicated smoker.

Sure you can get a 22 MT to be an OK smoker in a pinch. But a 22 WSM (or an 18) would be a much better smoker with waaayyy more capacity. And much more versatile (with water in the pan, dry pan, no pan for hot/fast, hang PBC style). And it can be your back up grill.

Since you live up North, I could see going Summit kamado to get the insulation and bad weather capability. Otherwise, a WSM is what you need. But apparently an uncool WSM is not what you want....

What I am looking to accomplish I think is to have something similar that would be more dedicated to the smoke portion of the cooking but still allow me to grill too.

Since you already have a 22 kettle as the primary grill, I'm not seeing why you'd pick another 22 kettle to be your dedicated smoker.

Sure you can get a 22 MT to be an OK smoker in a pinch. But a 22 WSM (or an 18) would be a much better smoker with waaayyy more capacity. And much more versatile (with water in the pan, dry pan, no pan for hot/fast, hang PBC style). And it can be your back up grill.

Since you live up North, I could see going Summit kamado to get the insulation and bad weather capability. Otherwise, a WSM is what you need. But apparently an uncool WSM is not what you want....
It has nothing to do with any bbq being cool or not cool.......
Basically I read a lot of threads where people have issues with this or that with their WSM, maybe its just being a new user maybe not. I have this kettle down pretty good already and with the upgraded lower vents on the MT premium it looks even easier to maintain a nice good low smoke....it would appear as though you can dial in that 230 or 240 and just maintain there for a long time. It would also appear as though wind issues wouldn't be as much of a problem as I read some of the WSM fellas are having. Of course I am speculating a lot but just basing these thoughts on what I know about my kettle usage so far.
The capacity deal does sound like a win for the WSM, it would be basically double when using the grates right?

I am looking for someone to talk me out of that MTP, I do see problems with the build on you tube.
While I would love to have an E6, and I am sure everyone would love one I would just like to not drop that kind of money on a grill.
I am up here in the north, but not as far as Grant is, not sure where he is in the province but I am in southern Ontario.
It does get cold but I don't think we dropped below -15 degrees here this year so the bbq season just kept on rolling.

Back