The Lower Food Grate

Davo

TVWBB Super Fan
Hi folks,

Whilst not a newbie with the 18.5" WSM, I've never used the lower food grate and always just used the top grate.

Possibly the reason for this is my thinking that because the lower grate is just over the water in the pan, that when using with water, the food will get more moisture and not enough smoke as the smoke comes around the sides of the pan.

Is this a wrong way of thinking?

Also if not using water in the pan, would the intense heat of the pan burn the food on the lower grate quickly due to radiant heat?

It's just that i want to get better use of of the WSM instead of just being restricted to the upper grate due to fears of the lower grate.

I know it sounds silly but it's just a fear i have with that lower grate:confused:

Cheers

Davo

In sunny Australia grillin' all year round:wsm:

I've done a combo using bacon for the top rack and a couple 4 lb bone-in pork shoulders on the lower rack. But, I never use water. I use a terra-cotta planter base wrapped in foil.

I pre-heat the WSM to about 200 degrees and put bacon on the top rack and the roasts on the bottom . I take the bacon off after about three hours at 200 degrees, open the vents and increase the temp. to about 260. The pork roasts take another 6 hours or so (195 degree internal temp). The roasts are foiled and coolered for about 90 minutes.

Don't fear the lower cooking grate. Get a thermometer on it and in the food you cook there, monitor it, and go for it!

My experience is that the temperatures at the middle cooking grate level are lower(about 25 degrees) than at the top grate. That is with or without water in the pan. You might try putting an oven thermometer on both grates and compare.

Thanks fellas for your re-assurance, I guess I'm going to have to give it a whirl.

Just looking at it, it just seems that because the bottom grate is just over the water, that when the smoke goes around the bowl, would it curl back in and around the waterline and under any food on the bottom grate or just head straight up towards the top? It just looks like it'd be bi-passed...but I just know I've gotta be wrong about this. I've just got to trust the concept more and smoke will act a lot differently when restricted more with the lid.

Thanks again folks:)

Yes, go for it. People have been cooking on the lower grate as long as the WSM has been made. Small temperature difference is the only issue, and even that isn't highly noticeable.

When I do a long cook, I mostly use both grates. When I foil butts, I put the top one on the bottom and vice-versa. That evens everything out. I do the same thing with ribs. I use two rib racks. When I foil my ribs I reverse their positions (from grate to grate). They are perfectly cooked - even, steven...

There is not all that much difference in temps. Sometimes, the difference is a mere ten degrees. I foil my water pan and use no water, no sand, and no terra cotta. I have no problems maintaining temperatures.

These are very forgiving smokers, IMO.

Keep on smokin',
Dale53:wsm:

Back