The great brisket shortage of 2015

I've read up on that. I thinking people are going to look to alternative cuts. I've had the shoulder clod at Lockhart Smokehouse in Dallas in its phenomenal, but I can't even imagine how long it takes to cook one. It seems like it definately doesn't get cooked to the same internal temp as a brisket.

Yeah, I'm sure it takes a LONG time, but maybe a half cut or something like that.

I've been to lockhart a few times now, and this last visit over the holidays is the first time I realized they use the clod.

Typically you think of lean brisket being the flat, and fatty brisket being the point...

A few of the places in Lockhart (Kreutz' maybe, i can't remember which) labeled lean as the whole brisket (flat and point) and fatty/moist as shoulder clod...

I'm a fatty brisket lover, but wow, that shoulder clod was phenomenal, I would definitely cook one of those. No need for a brisket if those are readily stocked... could care less about missing the lean point, too.

We have not seen shoulder clod in the butcher shops of the midwest yet, but i sure would like to try one.
Think that I remember not to long ago about a new cut of steak being taken from the clod?

Yeah, you're probably talking about the vegas strip steak. I think there's debate around if it's really the "next best thing"

Back