The "Duchess Cooker" - An All aluminum kettle made by maker of PK Grills

Finally Finished Restoring My PK "One-Vent" Grill

I am happy to say that I finally got the time - and the last materials - to give my 50 year old PK One Vent grill a new lease on life. This PK looks like the "Original" but it is a little bit smaller. That required a custom made stainless replacement grate. See above regarding the excellent workmanship that Mark Baron of KillaGrilla did for me.

I also have started working with a local business who does sand blasting and powder coating. I have used him to sand blast a number of Weber gas grills, but this was my first try with powder coating. He used high heat silver - like it was originally - and he even bettered my wire-brushed inside by sand blasting that. I would say that my cool, old PK is ready for another 50 year run!

BEFORE (pictures by the guy who sold it):

View attachment 32911

View attachment 32913

AFTER

View attachment 32914

View attachment 32915

View attachment 32916

View attachment 32917

View attachment 32918

View attachment 32920
That looks incredible and you are right another 50 years here we come. Time to break in your "new' grill.

During the heart of the pandemic when we were truly sheltering in place there was a used pk original for sale over an hour away in Baltimore in great shape for $100. I wanted to go get it, but come not justify it. Seeing your makes me regret, just a little bit, not taking the unnecessary risk and going to get it.

Man, you really spruced up that grill.

Anyone know about the PK Hibachi ?
I have seen pictures of it. Has a nice look to it and with some extras you can actually have TWO cookers!

Looks like you can also just buy a single "hibachi" half

Suburb job. Is this to be a "museum piece" or cooker? Just curious.
Joe,

I definitely plan to grill and barbecue with this one. I admit after over a year of trying to get it to this point it will be a little hard to start that first fire inside of it. But that is what it is for! I will take a few more pictures and maybe sit and look at it for a little while, but sometime this summer it gets its maiden voyage (at least in this restored condition!).

I am happy to say that I finally got the time - and the last materials - to give my 50 year old PK One Vent grill a new lease on life. This PK looks like the "Original" but it is a little bit smaller. That required a custom made stainless replacement grate. See above regarding the excellent workmanship that Mark Baron of KillaGrilla did for me.

I also have started working with a local business who does sand blasting and powder coating. I have used him to sand blast a number of Weber gas grills, but this was my first try with powder coating. He used high heat silver - like it was originally - and he even bettered my wire-brushed inside by sand blasting that. I would say that my cool, old PK is ready for another 50 year run!

View attachment 32911

View attachment 32913

AFTER

View attachment 32914

View attachment 32915

View attachment 32916

View attachment 32917

View attachment 32918

View attachment 32920
Wow! well done! those grates are perfect too. I wish I could find find one of those. Happy grilling to you and you descendants! :)

I added one non-original thing to my 50-year old PK. It didn't come with any kind of tray, but guys in our maintenance shop cut one out of aluminum for me. It just slides on and off. It is painted because the original aluminum was white of all things. I don't expect it to last, but eventually I would like to make something out of a cutting board that will stay put and yet not alter the original design in any way.

IMG_7170.JPEG

IMG_7171.JPEG

At least I will be have a place for the plate of food!

I added one non-original thing to my 50-year old PK. It didn't come with any kind of tray, but guys in our maintenance shop cut one out of aluminum for me. It just slides on and off. It is painted because the original aluminum was white of all things. I don't expect it to last, but eventually I would like to make something out of a cutting board that will stay put and yet not alter the original design in any way.

View attachment 33378

View attachment 33379

At least I will be have a place for the plate of food!
And your beer!

If any knows of one or is wanting to sell let me know. I’m ready. 😃
Hey Mike I have a duchess cooker that I'm considering selling, It doesn't have the grates or the bottom vents (I saw a guy on Facebook's pk fanatics
page who made them and is selling them) and the cart is complete. I have to dig it out of my storage to get pics for you. Are you local to NJ

View attachment 32911

View attachment 32913

AFTER

View attachment 32914

View attachment 32915

View attachment 32916

View attachment 32917

View attachment 32918

View attachment 32920
Jon what did you do to restore the wheels?

Jon what did you do to restore the wheels?
Pretty much just cleaned them and probably used some of that 303 UV stuff. That picture in relatively low light makes them look better than they do in sunlight. I thought about repainting the red but decided I couldn't make it look convincing. The one thing I did do is use some black silicone to fill the crack in one of the rubber tires. I used a toothpick to try and mimic the tread. It's not perfect but hopefully will keep the tire from crumbling off.

Still though they look pretty good. The red on mine is faded to a very light color and didn’t know if there was a technique you used. Thanks

I would at least try 303 or one of those auto trim restorers. If that doesn't bring enough back, maybe carefully spray painting wouldn't be a bad idea.

Back