The cost of quality lump

Craig Castille

TVWBB Wizard
There are those that prefer charcoal over lump.

Others that are the opposite.

I prefer lump, and always proclaim it's advantages.

Using a 20 lb bag of Humphrey's I have done the following:

1- a 14 hour butt cook (wsm)
2- a high heat brisket cook (wsm)
3- a kettle chicken cook (2 loads of chicken)
4- a tailgate cook at the Rays game yesterday (sjp)

There is still about a chimney full left after the tailgate.

Total cost- $10.00

I have been using lump for everything but overnighters. I still can't get the burn time I get with briquettes and I don't like refueling. But I use lump for ribs, chicken, and whenever I grill anything. The aroma of the burning lump is so much more appealing than briquettes. I have been using Original Charcoal brand lump, which I purchase at Costco. I also use Royal Oak, which works well.

Aside from flavor, the biggest advantage of lump is not having to dump the charcoal bowl full of ash after every cook.

I have little problem with overnighters using lump. Yesteday's butt went on at 6am with a full ring of R/O lump. After 12 hrs I was still going along fine (despite my butt really not wanting to come up to heat).

I just think it's just a matter of maximizing your space in the charcoal ring. I tend to keep my larger piece for the longer cooks.

Craig, I hear you. It's amazing how long a bag of lump will last compared to briqs. I lost track, but I was trying to keep up with how many cooks I would get out of a 40lb. bag of Humphrey's. Here's some but I'm sure I forgot a few cooks. Been smoking/grilling 3-4 x per week since I picked up the 6 bags of 40's. I'm about 1/2 way through a 40 lb. bag.
icon_cool.gif

Butt cook
Pernil Pork shoulder
Brisket
at least 6 steak and whole onions in foil cooks
pork chop cook
Tri Tip cook

I agree with you, Craig. I guess it depends on the brand on how long it will burn. I use Wicked Good Weekend Warrior, and I have never had to refuel even with butts or chuck roll.

I use Hump pretty much religiously for a good while, gotta be 5 years or more at this point.

I haven't had any problems AFA having to add fuel for butt cooks/overnight cooks. Just did 2 butts that ran about 10-12 hrs and still had coals burning. Just have to pack it well and eliminate gaps when you are going for time. Otherwise I just dump in and shake a bit.

I have seen several occasions where folks say charcoal from SA hardwoods is denser and burns longer (Original Charcoal Company is one). But I can get Hump at wholesale prices locally so I'll stick with it.

I posted this morning about my first overnite success and the charcoal I used.
I really don't like R.O. lump after many bags I have given up on it.
I have been using K which works just fine.
I found this weekend at Costco the Original Charcoal Company Lump. It held 250 degrees all nite(12 hours) it left little ash and no large 2*4's in it like the R.O.

I'm opinionated but open minded.

Dave

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by r benash:
I use Hump pretty much religiously for a good while, gotta be 5 years or more at this point.

I haven't had any problems AFA having to add fuel for butt cooks/overnight cooks. Just did 2 butts that ran about 10-12 hrs and still had coals burning. Just have to pack it well and eliminate gaps when you are going for time. Otherwise I just dump in and shake a bit.

I have seen several occasions where folks say charcoal from SA hardwoods is denser and burns longer (Original Charcoal Company is one). But I can get Hump at wholesale prices locally so I'll stick with it. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hey Ray:

I'm just over the river in South Jersey. I can only find RO Lump. Is Hump available locally?

The cost of quality lump? Quality being the important term here. Well, it's apparently more than the 5.29 for a 10lb bag of Royal Oak that you buy at Walmart. I'm really not happy with the quality if the 10lb Royal Oak bags from Walmart these days. For the past 6 months the bags have lots of paper scraps and uncharred wood (mostly bark). Then last week, I was waiting for my ceramic cooker to get up to grilling temp. Tons of smoke coming out of it. I figured it was piece of uncharred wood and waited a while. Well it kept smoking. I finally went back outside and got a whif of some nasty smoke. I opened the cooker and saw a huge mass of bubbling goo burning like an old tire. All I could do was close the vent, put the cap on, wait for it go out and cool off enough to clean out. Ruined that night's cooking. I guess that's all you can expect for 5.29 for a 10lb bag from a large retailer. Gonna have to break down and buy the BGE lump. I hear it's supposed to be a little better quality than the other lump Royal Oak packages. I still like lump. I just hate having to pick through the lump to pick out the trash or worse, miss the trash and ruin the fire.

That's too bad if RO is regressing so badly.

I have to admit though, that I just about always look at the lump when I dump it......you just never know what is gonna be in there.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">I'm just over the river in South Jersey. I can only find RO Lump. Is Hump available locally? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

You can get Humphrey's in Philly at this place:
Smith & Boyd
1901 E Lehigh Ave
Philadelphia, PA
(215) 739-6700

Call first to make sure they have it in stock. They also carried the 20# Royal Oak.

Wegmans lump is OK but the Hump is better. Grab a few extra bags and you'll be set for a while.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Smith & Boyd
1901 E Lehigh Ave
Philadelphia, PA
(215) 739-6700
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the info Mike - much appreciated.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat McCreight:
I have been using lump for everything but overnighters. I still can't get the burn time I get with briquettes and I don't like refueling. But I use lump for ribs, chicken, and whenever I grill anything. The aroma of the burning lump is so much more appealing than briquettes. I have been using Original Charcoal brand lump, which I purchase at Costco. I also use Royal Oak, which works well.

Aside from flavor, the biggest advantage of lump is not having to dump the charcoal bowl full of ash after every cook. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

If you don't mind me asking, how much do you pay at Costco for the 10# bag of lump?

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott M:
I'm just over the river in South Jersey. I can only find RO Lump. Is Hump available locally? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
Scott, I called Humphrey's today for you and there's one place they have listed in NJ. I have no idea how close this is too you, she did not know either. She also gave me the Smith & Boyd location that Mike A posted.

Portugese United Grocery NJ
973-344-1561

YES! Lazzari is my brand, even when people were lovin on Royal Oak leately, I always liked Lazzari better. (I like RO alot, also though) thanks Howlett, the misquite is grand. for me its what I can get easiest locally, and thats also probably the case for most of us. I am interested in the phone number bryan called though. I only contacted all stores I could think of around here. the "Humphrey's" seems to be the winner but everyone i've spoke w/ doesn't seem to savy what im talking/asking about.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott M:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
Smith & Boyd
1901 E Lehigh Ave
Philadelphia, PA
(215) 739-6700
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the info Mike - much appreciated. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yep that's where I would send you, being in Cherry Hill. I've called them several times to see if they had it in stock, but always end up getting it in Pottstown (support home town business, etc). They offer it at pretty much wholesale. It's about $11 for 20lb right now due to fuel prices. But in the local stores when I do see it, it's running about $22. Fred's BBQ in Reading was asking $19 or so.

Curious though, you might want to call Humphrey's to see if there's a distributor (roller mill, feed mill, etc) that handles it. If you get referred to a store expect higher prices per bag. Call them first.

Thanks Bryan and Ray.

I was actually thinking of heading out to Fred's BBQ in Reading. I goggle mapped and it's only about an hour from me. I'm off on Friday's so it seems like a good time to put the baby in the car seat and head out there.

Hey Scott - if you are going to Fred's you won't be that far from Browns Supply. You will get Humphrey's there cheaper than at Fred's. I was at Fred's last Friday. He has a fairly good variety of lump in the store. His prices are typical (or just a bit better) for retail. Humphrey's 20lb bags were about $19. You can do much better at Brown's. That's where Bryan get's his.

Give them a call first, but here's their info:

FM Brown

If you are only picking up one bag, it might not matter, but if you want to pick up 10 20lb or a few 40lb, it's well worth the effort.

Coming from Cherry Hill - Birdsboro is actually a little closer to you than Fred's. You could hit them first for your lump and then continue on to check out Fred's (Shillington). Only about 12 miles apart.

Basically they are both in proximity (off of) 422W which is the main drag you will be hitting once you get off 202S in King of Prussia. You will also be passing right by Pottstown on your trip and could pick up 20lb or 40lb bags there at Pottstown Roller Mills:

Pottstown Roller Mills
625 Industrial Highway
Pottstown, PA 19464

I know it's about $11 for 20lb bag there. Just bought 10 bags about 3-4 weeks ago.

They are about 12 miles closer to you than Browns.

Hey so either way you come back with some good lump. Good luck!

But if you are just doing a "Lump Run" then the Philly supplier would be the best - given gas prices
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C. Howlett:
Washington Cash & Carry stores have 40 pound bags of Lazzari hardwood for about $11.50. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, I'll have to check that out!! Does the mesq give off any flavors to what you're cooking? I do alot of chicken and some fish, so I don't want too strong of smoke flavor coming out of the coals.

Thanks,
Steve

Back