The cost of quality lump

Thanks for the great info Ray.
I think I'll check out the spot in Pottstown and then head to fred's to check out some of his other merchandise.

I haven't used BGE lump in several years and have never tried Nature-Glo. Has anyone seen trash in them, in the last 6 months?

Steve, It has some distinct smell and light flavors, but nothing to fear or nothing to compare to using full, uncharred misquite wood if you know what I mean. I will say it is crackly (is that a word?) and sparky, but I happen to like it. when you cover it, it will stop and personally I find the smell better then anything i've tried. (Ihavn't tried a lot of brands) Its a nice hot fire but may not last as long as lets say Royal Oak. probably close to a tie. give it a shot if possible.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Steve Z:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by C. Howlett:
Washington Cash & Carry stores have 40 pound bags of Lazzari hardwood for about $11.50. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Wow, I'll have to check that out!! Does the mesq give off any flavors to what you're cooking? I do alot of chicken and some fish, so I don't want too strong of smoke flavor coming out of the coals.

Thanks,
Steve </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I've NEVER experienced any off flavors from mesquite. Just don't be alarmed that hardwood throws a lot more sparks than briquettes. Your flavoring will come from whatever wood chunks you choose to utilize. BTW, you're in my neighborhood, so I expect a call when you get around to doing something tasty. Your nearest C&C store is at Southcenter.
icon_wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Scott M:
Thanks for the great info Ray.
I think I'll check out the spot in Pottstown and then head to fred's to check out some of his other merchandise. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Yeah, Roller Mills is actually very close to the exit off 422. It's a straight up smaller operation than Brown's - which is probably larger and a better setting, but hey you're just picking up charcoal, right?

Glad to help!

Thanks for the info on Lazzari, guys. I'll definitely have to get to C&C.

C,
Yeah, I was born at Riverton Hospital, and my family lived in Burien for the first three years of my life.

Steve

Those of you who have noted problems with RO lump lately:

Check the whiz's site - apparently, there are several versions of R.O. lump. Some were rated quite high, while some were pretty low. Be sure of which one you're getting.

I picked-up a few bags of R.O. (US-made) lump from Menard's, and it has been working very well for me so far.

This was posted over in the trading post section as well, but it is such a deal that I'll mention it here. Costco has 20# bags (well 2 10# bags wrapped) for $3.97. This is the Original Charcoal lump, which I think works very well.

I just picked up 400 pounds, so I guess I'll be cooking pretty much exclusively on lump for the rest of the year.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat McCreight:
Costco has 20# bags (well 2 10# bags wrapped) for $3.97. This is the Original Charcoal lump
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

WOW!!!!!
icon_cool.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content"> WOW!!!!!
icon_cool.gif
</div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I got a similar, though less positive, reaction when I told my wife I might go pick up another few hundred pounds today!

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Pat McCreight:
Costco has 20# bags (well 2 10# bags wrapped) </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Killer Deal, Pat. If I remember correctly, any Costco item priced $x.97 is a closeout item. Nice score!

Steve

Back