The brown truck came yesterday evening...

And he brought my new 18.5" WSM!

I'm going to cook a butt this weekend. I'll make up a rub from my well stocked pantry, but I'm undecided on sauce. I think I just want to taste the meat, smoke, and rub.

Does anyone want a Brinkmann Smoke 'n Grill? I'll give you $5 to take it away. :rolleyes:

I like a simple easy to make Carolina Red sauce on pulled pork.

You know, Dwain, I didn't think about that. That's a good idea - thank you!

The Girlfriend wants a ketchup 'sauce', and I'd rather have 'none' or 'simple'.

Lowcountry mustard sauce is a hard sell around these parts, so I think I'll go with the Carolina Red. Others may eat what they want.

Terry - Congratulations on the WSM! To sauce or not to sauce? I like Dwain's suggestion on the Carolina Red sauce. Throw it in a condiment bottle on the side and you can have both and whatever you do keep the lady happy. :cool:

Don't forget the Coleslaw...very important ingredient with PP as a side or right on the sammich!
For what it's worth Roxy's Mustard and Vinegar Sauce works well but if you want a tomato based sauce then that's great too.

Good luck and don't forget the photos.

Does anyone want a Brinkmann Smoke 'n Grill? I'll give you $5 to take it away. :rolleyes:[/QUOTE]

Congrats on WSM.
I will give you $6 if I dont have to take it =)

Peter

I make a very easy sauce that is coke and tomato paste base with garlic, salt, pepper that is very good and is a hit with non-bbq people (here in Atlanta there are more than you would think)

And he brought my new 18.5" WSM!

I'm going to cook a butt this weekend. I'll make up a rub from my well stocked pantry, but I'm undecided on sauce. I think I just want to taste the meat, smoke, and rub.

Does anyone want a Brinkmann Smoke 'n Grill? I'll give you $5 to take it away. :rolleyes:

Congrats on the new Smoker. As far as the sauce, you can make a tray of both...one sauced, one not. :)

Gary S, I'll have to look that one up.

Ha! Peter Z, will you accept $10?

Hamilton Barnes, I think those non-bbq people in Atlanta are referred to as "Yankees". At least that's the way it was when I lived there! I used to eat at the Old Hickory House on Northside Drive - long gone.

Tim K, thanks so much for the link to Steve Petrone's recipe.

Yes, I will have pictures.

From a new WSM owner to another congrats. Did my first cook this past weekend (6 racks of ribs) and they were the best I ever cranked out - and that was with a real basic rub and sauce to keep my first cook simple. I was so impressed with how the WSM hit (and held) a good smoking temp for the entre 6 hours with no involvment from me other than walking by and seeing it stuck at 225 :wsm:

Congrats again, you'll love it.

Well, this was fun.

It was a nice day - in the mid to upper seventies with very little breeze. Put a 7.5 pound butt on at 7:00 AM, and cooked it at 225º to 250º as indicated by the lid thermometer until I got an internal temperature of 200º. The temperature held very steady all day with a minimum of futzing on my part. Regular Kingsford briquets, and three oak chunks, three apple, and two hickory.

Thanks to Tim K for the recommendation of Number 5 Sauce. I thought it was super on the side.

Supper consisted of pulled pork, fried green tomatoes, and oven baked Parmesan fries. And wine, of course.

Over all, g/f and I were thrilled with the result.

No takers on the Brinkmann, huh?

Back