The best piece of fish from the Ocean.....

JeffG

TVWBB Emerald Member
Can you name this tasty fish? Unfortunately it wasn't BBQ/Smoked or grilled, but cooked with love in a cast iron pan...;)

CaseT will probably know what it is. It's nick name is The Grey Ghost.....
I was lucky enough to get some fillets and the belly from a 54lb fish weighed in at the local angling club...

kA5OajOSQ9ians0+IJ6JIw.jpg

I don't know what kind of fish it is (and I'm not Googling Grey Ghost, cuz that seems like cheating), but I do know I'd love to have some! Looks great, Jeff!

Rich

No...Cobia is tasty, but it is a California fish....
DH guessed cobia, and I thought you lived in Ca.

DH just told me that we get Cobia here in Fl. also. They follow the Tarpon here.

Last edited:
Sorry I Googled it, and other fish are also called the grey ghost depending where you live.

Clue: The fish is raised in pens in Newport Harbor Ca. and released.

Thought this might be a little fun during Quarantine.

Go for it, I checked and there are a lot of recipes for grilling fish in most of the Weber cookbooks, so I'm sure Chris won't mind us talking about a fish that was cooked on the stove, at least, I hope not. lol

I’m guessing some sort of “sea bass”?
Didn’t realize they farmed it, really?
I think I will see what the fish counter has to offer at the better place in town, quick stop!

I do know what that is. But wouldn't have if you didn't mention the nickname.I've been to the pens before. Balboa Angling club tends to the operation if my memory serves me right. Didn't some guys get busted trying to fish in them once? Anyways its been a long time since I've had any. My uncle caught a tagged one while fishing out of Dana Point. They released it.

Case, people do strange things and the seals have broken in for a free dinner also.

Here is a little article about the White Seabass Pens. It is the best tasting fish in the ocean IMOO.

https://www.latimes.com/socal/daily...nce-marine-population-by-way-of-newport-beach

Yep those are the ones that I visited many moons ago!

white-seabass-robertson.jpg

White Seabass Atractoscion nobilis

I can say that they don't look anything like the "seabass" we catch in Oregon! looks more like salmon.

30608411938_aa8b3d591a_c.jpg

Large Mouth Sea Bass (black rockfish) Sebastes Melanops.

43542499392_8e2df956b3_c.jpg

Small mouth seabass (blue rock fish) Sebastes mystinus

Hard to believe same boy in both photos. About 4 years apart.

This is what a California White Seabass looks like, not my fish sorry to say.
Case Your son is growing up....

fullsizeoutput_a5b.jpeg

Back