The All Encompassing Beer Thread

Great topic Hayden.Thanks for all the info guys. I love beer and trying new things. Currently, I just drink Labatts, Molson,Becks, Peroni,Asahi,or Wersteiner.It is great to learn your opinions of the IPA's.Everything in bottles,I don't like the taste of beer in cans.

Regina,

I know a lot of people that have the same issue. But several craft brewers are investing in cans as they are far superior to bottles. A can allows zero light and just as important zero air. Bottle caps leak more than you would think. So if you see an interesting brew in a can pick it up. If the can bothers you just pour it in a glass
icon_smile.gif

I guess I'm pretty boring, its pretty much Mic Ultra in the cooler for me. I have tried a lot of different tasting beers, but I still haven't found one I would rather drink than a Mic Ultra.
That being said, several years back, My wife and I went with some friends to Green Bay for a Packers v/s Panthers game. While we were there, I fell in love with Leinenkugels Apple Spice beer. So much so, that I bought all I could fit in my suitcase to bring home. Wouldn't you know it, that was the last year Leinenkugel offered the beer.
icon_eek.gif

Oh well, I will continue to try the new flavors, you know, in the name of science and grilling perfection and all!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Tim

Homebrewer here, so I'm partial to my own stuff as I can make what I like
icon_smile.gif

But I do buy craft beer. Here in NW Iowa there is a void of good beer but luckily a local grocery store did a massive expansion and carries a good variety. My favorites based on what I can get.

Boulevard Brewery-Any in the Smokehouse Series though the Tank 7 Farmhouse and Long Strange Tripel are go-to's. Their Single-Wide is also my staple IPA to buy.

Ommegang-Three Philosophers is one of my top three beers of all time and the Hennepin (another farmhouse ale) is another go-to.

Lucky Bucket-All three beers are excellent but the Certified Evil is just behind Three Philosophers on my top three.

The best brewpub close by (close as in 2.5 hours away) is Upstream Brewing in Omaha, NE. I'm down there many times a year and have four growlers I always fill up, after enjoying a few pints of their cask ale.

Originally posted by Tim (the grillaholic):
I guess I'm pretty boring, its pretty much Mic Ultra in the cooler for me. I have tried a lot of different tasting beers, but I still haven't found one I would rather drink than a Mic Ultra.
That being said, several years back, My wife and I went with some friends to Green Bay for a Packers v/s Panthers game. While we were there, I fell in love with Leinenkugels Apple Spice beer. So much so, that I bought all I could fit in my suitcase to bring home. Wouldn't you know it, that was the last year Leinenkugel offered the beer.
icon_eek.gif

Oh well, I will continue to try the new flavors, you know, in the name of science and grilling perfection and all!!
icon_biggrin.gif

Tim

Leine's are good though they have gone downhill since Miller bought them out. Enjoyed them starting before I hit the drinking age, which was 18 back then ;-). Kinda quit drinking them since they dropped Big Butts, a causality like the Apple Spice.

I always have a good supply of Miller High Life in the garage fridge. I know it's cheap but I like the taste. My favorite seasonal beer during the summer is Bells Oberon. I have to be careful those just go down too easy.

JSMcdowell: Man...I just don't know if I can get behind cans. I don't care for the metallic taste they sometimes impart. My beer doesn't last long enough for the light of day to impact it's taste anyway. LOL The stuff that I cellar, that needs to be devoid of light, is squirreled away in the equivalent of a black hole, so I'll go with bottles for now.

Brad: Ommegang is an awesome brewery. I was at there brewery in New York after a fishing trip to Keuka Lake in the Finger Lakes chain. They also came down and put out a good spread for us during Philly Beer Week. Three Philosophers is ridiculously good...especially on tap...and even moreso barrel-aged. I haven't tried the Hennepin yet. I'll have to look up the Lucky Bucket. I also understand where you're coming from regarding Miller's acquisition of Leinenkugel's. I was SO disheartened when Goose Island sold out to InBev. Haven't bought a bottle since. Also, I STRONGLY suggest you take a look at Nebraska Brewing Company. Their Hop God and Apricot Saison au Poivre, are off the charts, as is the Black Betty. I'm sure you can get it a LOT more reasonably than I can. That stuff goes for $20-25 for a 750ml bottle out this way. They must be doing something right out there in the prairies.

-All things Dog Fish (from the beginning)
-Stone: IPA. Arrogant Bastard. Ruination IPA, Smoked Porter
- Bear Republic: Racer 5 IPA & Hop Rod Rye
- Troegs: HopeBack Ale, Troegenator Double Bock, etc
-Sierra Nevada Torpedo Extra IPA
An occasional lambic (need to learn more about) and a whole lot more that for some reason
icon_biggrin.gif
, I can't recall at the moment. I'd mention Guinness but thats like water to me: Life as we know it, would be impossible.

Originally posted by Regina S:
Great topic Hayden.Thanks for all the info guys. I love beer and trying new things. Currently, I just drink Labatts, Molson,Becks, Peroni,Asahi,or Wersteiner.It is great to learn your opinions of the IPA's.Everything in bottles,I don't like the taste of beer in cans.

Originally posted by ryanburns:
I always have a good supply of Miller High Life in the garage fridge. I know it's cheap but I like the taste. My favorite seasonal beer during the summer is Bells Oberon. I have to be careful those just go down too easy.

As both of you live in Michigan, I urge you to familiarize yourself with both Founders, located in Grand Rapids...and Bell's, located in Kalamazoo. Easily two of the top microbreweries east of the Mississippi...and likely all of the country. Ryan seems to know of Bell's already. The Oberon is fabulous. If you get a chance, get your paws on some of Founder's KBS (Kentucky Breakfast Stout). It packs a wallop, but might be the most sublime liquid on God's green earth.

Regina: I'm a hop head. I love the hoppy stuff. Right now I've really been enjoying Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA. However, there are tons of great ones out there. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale is one of the most popular IPA's out there and is widely available.

There are some pretty excellent craft beers coming out of Colorado. This is probably the best "new" beer I've tasted in several years.

great-divide-yeti-imperial-stout.jpg

Boulder brewing company has some great stuff as well, Hazed & Infused being one for you hop heads.

There's an obligatory tip of the hat necessary to New Belgium brewing, their belgian ale Fat Tire is ubiquitous, but they also do a great line of limited release seasonal beers, which change each season (obviously).

Another good brewing company for you hop heads is Oskar Blues, the makers of Dale's Pale Ale ("one voluminously hopped mutha of a pale ale").

Even Coors brewing makes some craft beers only available in Colorado. Barmen pilsner, a complex, smooth light beer that takes a 7 minute pour due to stubborn head, is worth checking out. I've seen it in Golden, and Vail Colorado. Coors also makes "Colorado Native" a great ale that is made with all local water, grains and hops.

The surrogate grain issue disturbs me a bit - Coors and the other macrobreweries have techniques to use rice and other grains in place of wheat and barley depending on crop prices. But, they seem to put out a pretty consistent product.

DfD: That Yeti looks incredible. I JUST filled a growler full of their 17th Anniversary Wood-Aged Double IPA at Whole Foods yesterday. Incredible stuff.

Originally posted by Hayden McCall:
Also, I STRONGLY suggest you take a look at Nebraska Brewing Company. Their Hop God and Apricot Saison au Poivre, are off the charts, as is the Black Betty. I'm sure you can get it a LOT more reasonably than I can. That stuff goes for $20-25 for a 750ml bottle out this way. They must be doing something right out there in the prairies.

I've had the Apricot (can you tell I like Belgium's, especially Saisons) and it's excellent and also enjoy the Black Betty. Not had the Hop God yet. I just can't get them around here and usually blow my beer budget at the Upstream when I'm in Omaha.

Speaking of Belgium style beer, as Dave pointed out, New Belgium puts out some good beers. Their 1554 and Tripel are very good.

Also Sierra Nevada Torpedo is very, very good and easily found around here. Would love to find DF 60 and 90 available locally as I had both the last time I was in D.C. at Brickskeller's (among a bunch of other beers can't find around here). I do like the hop bombs.

As far as buyouts, I tend to wait and see what happens to the beer. Leine's quality I felt was hurt by the purchase. They weren't the best beer before the purchase (tended to be thin like Shiner) but in the '80s they were better than anything Bud/Miller/Coors was putting out and they had variety and flavor. Goose Island, which is(was) a very good brewery and I will continue to buy (I like the Honkers, Christmas, Sofie, Matilda, and Bourbon County Coffee) until I taste the quality going down, as I will with any brewery. History has shown though that takeovers usually lead to quality decreases.

Originally posted by Brad W:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Hayden McCall:
Also, I STRONGLY suggest you take a look at Nebraska Brewing Company. Their Hop God and Apricot Saison au Poivre, are off the charts, as is the Black Betty. I'm sure you can get it a LOT more reasonably than I can. That stuff goes for $20-25 for a 750ml bottle out this way. They must be doing something right out there in the prairies.

As far as buyouts, I tend to wait and see what happens to the beer. Leine's quality I felt was hurt by the purchase. They weren't the best beer before the purchase (tended to be thin like Shiner) but in the '80s they were better than anything Bud/Miller/Coors was putting out and they had variety and flavor. Goose Island, which is(was) a very good brewery and I will continue to buy (I like the Honkers, Christmas, Sofie, Matilda, and Bourbon County Coffee) until I taste the quality going down, as I will with any brewery. History has shown though that takeovers usually lead to quality decreases. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

I understand your approach fully in regards to generally waiting for the quality to suffer before abandoning a brand, but I just refuse to put money in the pockets of Coors, Anheuser-Busch, InBev, etc. Once the money flows in their direction, I'm done with 'em...I don't care how good it is. Every dollar I spend on their stuff, makes it harder for the little guys whom I feel really put more effort into producing a quality product, to survive. Fortunately, there are FAR too many microbreweries out there for the big boys to annex all of them, which they surely would if they could.

Originally posted by Hayden McCall: I understand your approach fully in regards to generally waiting for the quality to suffer before abandoning a brand, but I just refuse to put money in the pockets of Coors, Anheuser-Busch, InBev, etc. Once the money flows in their direction, I'm done with 'em...I don't care how good it is. Every dollar I spend on their stuff, makes it harder for the little guys whom I feel really put more effort into producing a quality product, to survive. Fortunately, there are FAR too many microbreweries out there for the big boys to annex all of them, which they surely would if they could.

And I get your side. I'm not a BMC fan mostly because I don't agree with the three-tier system that they control and use to their advantage. And I do believe that there will be the community/neighborhood brewpub system again someday like there was before prohibition and there won't be anything the BMC can do about it
icon_smile.gif

Originally posted by Brad W:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GuyC:
Russian River Pliny The Elder. I brew it, I drink it, I love it.
icon_smile.gif

Guy, do brew your own clone or the kit from B3? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm one of the brewers at Russian River. I brew Pliny and most of the other RR beers at the pub and also at the production brewery.

Hayden,

It's funny that you should mention fruit-infused brews. I've been on a minor lambic-kick lately:

A relatively new brewpub in our suburb has an EXTENSIVE list of Belgian beers. Among them, they have Lindeman's Framboise (rasberry) ON TAP! (I had it with Brunch - in place of a mimosa, it really hit the spot.) If you're ever in the Milwaukee area, you've gotta' check this place out:

http://www.cafehollander.com/tosavillage/menus.php

Also tried New Glarus Wisconsin Belgian Red tonight - picked-up a quart bottle and nearly killed it off. This one is made with tart Mountmorency cherries from Door County. Look it up, if you can get some, you'll love it.

Otherwise, with 'que I like a nice COLD, crisp slightly bitter beer - like a good IPA.

Also keep a cold 6-pack of Schlitz in the fridge for those "God, I need a beer!" kind of days....

Cheers folks from Cream City!

Originally posted by GuyC:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Brad W:
<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by GuyC:
Russian River Pliny The Elder. I brew it, I drink it, I love it.
icon_smile.gif

Guy, do brew your own clone or the kit from B3? </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I'm one of the brewers at Russian River. I brew Pliny and most of the other RR beers at the pub and also at the production brewery. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whoa. We have a Russian River brewer in the house? Fabulous. That's awesome. Brews great beer and grills. My man. You guys make fabulous beer. It's so incredibly difficult to get around here. Demand is through the roof.

Back