Thank You Larry & Chris!

Jon Tofte

TVWBB 1-Star Olympian
When I can squeeze literally a few minutes in, I have been working on my languishing '05-'06 Genesis Platinum project. It wasn't all bad when I got it, as you can see:

5vul3p.jpg

I am doing something less than a full restoration since I plan to keep and use this grill as a "daily driver." Even so, I want it to work well and last. I replaced the shot burners and igniter.

35na8u1.jpg

One obstacle remaining has been that the manifold valves stick sometimes and the knobs don't turn that well. I had quite some time ago bought the brake cleaner and brake lubricant recommended by L Michaels for repairing these problems, but I hadn't gotten up the nerve to break open the valves and try his recommended procedure myself.

Most of you probably know that Chris Allingham has posted a really nice video (wherein he rightfully credits Larry for his expertise and inspiration) that shows the whole process step-by-step.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UC0_5Uo2ueY (You will have to suffer through an advertisement for a few seconds:rolleyes:...)

It really isn't that hard, although removing the screws without stripping can be a little tricky. I followed the steps Larry recommends and Chris demonstrates. It all worked out great, and now I have a manifold with three control knobs that work like new:cool:!

THANK YOU LARRY & CHRIS!!!!

One interesting thing is that the 1st generation Summit that Chris used as a demonstrator has valves with three specific openings (H-M-L) and at each set point the knob pops back up into the lock position. On the Genesis Platinum (and probably Silvers and Golds of similar vintage) the valves are variable so that the only lock position is "Off" and the fuel flow can be adjusted infinitely from High to Low rather than at just three settings. It would seem to be a more precise way to adjust temps, especially when you are trying for low or medium heat.

Last edited:
Jon, Chris, Larry
Thanks for these details. I need to work on mine as well. That video is awesome.

Thanks guys!!!

Jon
Just an FYI. While I have seen those variable type valves turn up on certain grills like yours or my brother's Summit I also see those same grills not have those valves. So it seems Weber simply asked for their suppliers to build valves to a certain flow rate and whatever came down the supply line is what was installed. Or perhaps even in their heyday they did not make the manifolds but farmed that out to s supplier and they installed what they got.
Those valves though do make conversion between LP and NG easier though. Glad in some small way I could help and again thanks to Chris for taking the knowledge I passed along and putting it into a form that helped everyone make sense of what I was trying to pass along. He did a great job!

I think the low, medium high valves actually can vary between their "pop" settings. As Larry has explained in the past, like when you put your thumb on the hose.

Yes they do vary just not as well as the other type. The other ones are like your kitchen stove infinitely variable

Makes sense. I always feel like I don't have as much control as I should when I'm using the Meater and can see the impact of changing the fuel flow.

Thyde: I know what you are talking about. I use the Thermoworks Smoke and it makes dialing in the grill temp a breeze. But it is amazing how much just a very slight change on one of the knobs will affect the grill internal temp and how quickly. Without being able to smoothly change the settings, it would be tough to get it dialed in properly.

Back