Texas Monthly's Interview with Aaron Franklin

Great interview. Sometimes I dream about having my own BBQ place, but some of the stuff Aaron says makes me pause.

Not sure how my system would handle all of that sleep deprivation....

Thanks much for posting the link to the article! I met him and chatted for awhile with him about a year or so ago, and he truly is a humble, regular guy, but quite a gentleman and he's a true barbecue enthusiast. He just lives for it. Even after the whirlwind success, he's the same guy he was 5 years ago. Not many can say the fame wouldn't change them, but for him I honestly believe he's a viable exception to the rule.

He seems like a guy who never sought the attention he is getting and just wants to own and run a BBQ restaurant. If ever I make it to Austin, his restaurant will be the first place I go. He seems like a really good dude and his BBQ restaurant looks like it serves the most incredible food.

If you haven't seen his YouTube series, I recommend it. Just a cool dude all around.

I'd rather eat at Franklin's than at a place like Salt Lick.

Well of course, who wouldn't? There was also an article posted earlier this week about a week in the life of Franklin. I wish I could make BBQ as good as him, but that starting your day at 1 AM isn't something I envy.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/29/food-informants-aaron-franklin-barbecue_n_3346669.html

I was actually in line with him that day at Pecan Lodge. He's a nice, humble guy like everyone else is saying. The wait was an hour and a half, and he waited just like everyone else even though he didn't have to. Was happy to talk to random people as well.

Great article Matt. Thanks for the link.

Yeah I don't think my system would take too kindly to an average of 4.5 hours of sleep.

One thing I didn't completely understand is when do the briskets go on. I wouldn't think that putting them on at 2:00AM would be early enough to serve for lunch.

I think he is cooking around 300. depending on how big the briskets are, I guess it could be done. I know there is no way his stick burners are even in temp front to back

I think he is cooking around 300. depending on how big the briskets are, I guess it could be done. I know there is no way his stick burners are even in temp front to back

Twooooo- fitty ;)

He cooks pretty much everything at 250, bucking the central Texas higher-heat style. I think that's one thing that keeps him a step ahead of his fellow BBQ entrepreneurs in the area. Doing it a little slower allows for more fat and collagen, etc, to melt, in my opinion. High heat is popular here, and there are people who can turn out some good 'cue, but I just don't think that side-by-side they're the same. Again, just a perspective, not necessarily the right one.

Back