Teriyaki bone in chicken thighs

Interesting Brett, Barb has the same one in white. She's had it for over 40 years and it still get used a lot and works great.
I still have my old white base too. Bought in 1994. Still works. It was just cheaper to buy the new one on sale than to replace the bowl and lid years ago. It was some ridiculously priced sale for the new one. Maybe $89.

I plan on cooking this tomorrow on my new performer.

I have re-read this thread several times to glean useful information/tips and drooled at the pictures. I hope mine comes out at least half as good as this looks!

@Brett-EDH I see you used the 2 Weber charcoal baskets. I have these as well as a Vortex. Any advantage of one over the other? I have not used the Vortex yet.

I have Kingsford blue label charcoal as well as Royal Oak lump. I also have hickory splits. Would you recommend using any of the lump?

I am new to cooking on a Weber (had one 35+ years ago...).

I plan on cooking this tomorrow on my new performer.

I have re-read this thread several times to glean useful information/tips and drooled at the pictures. I hope mine comes out at least half as good as this looks!

@Brett-EDH I see you used the 2 Weber charcoal baskets. I have these as well as a Vortex. Any advantage of one over the other? I have not used the Vortex yet.

I have Kingsford blue label charcoal as well as Royal Oak lump. I also have hickory splits. Would you recommend using any of the lump?

I am new to cooking on a Weber (had one 35+ years ago...).
Since you’re in the Performer, I’d recco the vortex due to the offset vents on the dome.

Target your temp around 425°F and you should be fine. My only concern is very high temps, above 425/450°F will dry the thighs out.

Do note that if you’re cooking bone in thighs, the thighs can handle the slightly higher heat, 425-450°F as the bones will absorb some of the heat.

If you’re using boneless thighs, I’d avoid going over 425° as higher heat, from my own experience, will dry the thigh meat out more.

My preferred done temp on thighs is 175°. Some people will go 165° but I find that the dark meat is more on the raw side when at that temp. This is a personal preference. Choose how you like yours.

You can mix lump and briq, go all briq or go all lump. Your choice. Placing the smoking wood atop the grate at the fire will impart a nice smoke flavor and color the skin.

When you do the basting near the end, the skin will soften. I do a last sear over direct coals/heat at the end.

Pay attention and don’t leave the chicken idle on the final sear as the sugars in this recipe will carbonize and burn. Keep the product moving and moving to develop char, but avoid burning.

Last edited:
That looks good Wilmer.
How are you liking your new performer?
I don’t think I’ve used my gasser in about 6 or so years since I went with the performer.
I am liking it thus far!

Made poppers earlier in the week, the teriyaki chicken yesterday, and today I will be putting a 5# bone in beef roast on the spit later today with veggies in drip pan below. I need to work on my temperature management skills which will improve with time.

Used the gasser earlier this week for burgers.

Back